The Climate Crisis, the reality, the challenges and indeed the ways forward!

snoop1130

Another tip: buy land in the north of Thailand, especially land that has a natural water source, next to the source of mountain fed rivers and/or where there's plentiful water underground within a few metres.

Most of the farm land that I have witnessed being snapped up in Chiang Mai province over the past 15 years and increasingly of late, in idyllic settings north of the city, has been by wealthy Bangkok residents. Prices have risen steadily and strongly year after year.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

Mankind is an insignificant speck compared to mother nature and has zero to negligible impact on the weather that has gone through warming and cooling cycles for millenia.

The Role of Human Activity

In its Fifth Assessment Report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, concluded there's a more than 95 percent probability that human activities over the past 50 years have warmed our planet.

The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric carbon dioxide levels from 280 parts per million to 412 parts per million in the last 150 years. The panel also concluded there's a better than 95 percent probability that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth's temperatures over the past 50 years.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

I have to post this often ... many are still denying the facts ... why ?

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Facts by skewing data a data set so small it is rubbish, the scientists are all CC ones would they say any different. The seas havent risen as stated in decades yet this lot has said for the last 24 years they would, thats why.

That's right , the NASA only employs idiots ... they should listen to you instead .

4 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

By the way the major problem is population numbers, start reducing those and see the effect.

Too many people , that,s true .

But the damage to the biosphere is done and accelerating even if there would be no more humans ... Too late to change back .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

The problem with deniers is that they are often also malinformed.

Humans are NOT insignificant.

Believe it or not, in the very early stages of life on Earth, simple bacteria managed to completely transform the atmosphere, thus making it breathable for organisms needing oxygen.

Obviously, the climate also changed at that time.

The (major) difference is that bacteria were not as "efficient" and fast as humans.

Humans have also managed, in just a few decades, to literally cover the whole earth with plastic particles, so much so that you can't eat or drink anything today without absorbing some plastic at the same time...which is as good for your health as living in proximity of a coal power station.

And just look how humans have reshaped the surface of the Earth, or emptied its oceans of fish.

Humans may be a "speck" as you say, but so are viruses compared to humans, and yet they can wreak havoc as we can witness first hand these days.

In terms of power of destruction, size doesn't matter!

So, if humans are, as you suggest here, the problem, doesn't that tell you something???

Computer models and more computer models, all based on whatever the computer is fed. I can fly you to the moon and back in your tea break with a calculator, it the practicalities that cause the problems.

If humans have caused the problem of climate change/global warming, I can't help but wonder how and why this coronavirus came about?

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

Computer models and more computer models, all based on whatever the computer is fed. I can fly you to the moon and back in your tea break with a calculator, it the practicalities that cause the problems.

If humans have caused the problem of climate change/global warming, I can't help but wonder how and why this coronavirus came about?

The cause is the same, human greed. The novel coronavirus arose from a wild meat market in Wuhan. It is apparently prestigious to consume protein derived from an exotic species, even though exactly the same effect in terms of nutrition is achieved with farmed chicken, fish or soybeans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

What “...problem...” of climate change/global warming? 

The REAL problem would be if the world was to grow colder.

Mankind...civilization...historically has always done worse during colder times, and better during warmer times. 

That’s history. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

If that becomes true , it means the end of mankind . Even at a 4% rise there is hardly a chance to survive ...

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/impacts-global-warming/l-2/index.htm

The explored consequences of an increase of the global earth temperature of 4°C are indeed devastating.

Among the foreseen consequences are:

• the inundation of coastal cities;
  • increasing risks for food production potentially leading to higher malnutrition rates; many dry regions becoming dryer and wet regions wetter;
  • unprecedented heat waves in many regions, especially in the tropics;
  • substantially exacerbated water scarcity in many regions;
  • increased frequency of high-intensity tropical cyclones;
  • irreversible loss of biodiversity, including coral reef systems.

The scientific evidence, is unequivocal about the fact that humans are the cause of global warming, and that major changes are already being observed: global mean temperature is now 0.8°C above pre industrial levels; oceans have warmed by 0.09°C since the 1950s and are acidifying. Sea levels rose by about 20 cm since pre-industrial times and are now rising at 3.2 cm per decade; an exceptional number of extreme heat waves occurred in the last decade; major food crop growing areas are increasingly affected by drought.

"it means the end of mankind"

Hardly. It means some uncomfortable changes for many people, and a lot of adaptation. And possibly a serious curtailment of the standard of living we have come to enjoy. But it is not the end of mankind in any sense of the word.

Changes in the weather are not the same as Climate Change!

It is possible that the climate is changing, but we would need a better data set than is currently available.  

The climate has been changing over millions of years, which is a small time-frame in an earth which is 4.6 billion years old, give or take a few.

Is any climate change being experienced now, man-made?  Highly unlikely; man's contribution would be infinitesimally small, if any.

Neptune's moon, Triton, experienced a 5% temperature increase between 1989 - 1998, equivalent to earth heating up by 22 degrees. Man-mad causes?

Pluto experienced global warming during a similar period.  NASA attributed it to seasonal change, although the increase in temperature was severe.  Perhaps it was man-made, like that of earth?

I think that the alarmist, climate-change brigade have self-serving reasons for their pronouncements, and science has very little to do with it.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

That's right , the NASA only employs idiots ... they should listen to you instead .

Too many people , that,s true .

But the damage to the biosphere is done and accelerating even if there would be no more humans ... Too late to change back .

It takes two to tango.  My personal belief is that the NASA, which certainly doesn't employ idiots, is equally caught up in alarmist, climate-change "science", but for its own political reasons (e.g. additional funding possibilities).  I have included a You Tube link, below, which gives a somewhat different perspective to the NASA pronouncements.  It is one of many others which may be found on You Tube, if one is not blinkered, and is open to other, less-biased viewpoints.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kurtf said:

"while clearly fossil fuels are the cause of climate change". Well in my mind that is absolute hogwash. Just look back in history when there wasn't nearly as much fossil fuels being used and one can find when climate changes even greater have occurred. Years where the official recorded temps in Australia reached 45 degrees Celcius for weeks on end. How did mankind cause that climate spike? The ice caps on Mars are melting and getting smaller. No man made pollution there. How do all you climate alarmists explain that? 

How about this for a hypothesis..... Mankind is an insignificant speck compared to mother nature and has zero to negligible impact on the weather that has gone through warming and cooling cycles for millenia. So sit back and accept that man kind is insignificant and not nearly as self important as people with inflated egos think. In my mind the climate change activists are merely globalist trying to panic people into accepting another tax so they can further control the peons. 

I entirely agree. Just take a look at the latest IPCC report. It is a truly pathetic piece of work.

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

The Role of Human Activity

In its Fifth Assessment Report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, concluded there's a more than 95 percent probability that human activities over the past 50 years have warmed our planet.

The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric carbon dioxide levels from 280 parts per million to 412 parts per million in the last 150 years. The panel also concluded there's a better than 95 percent probability that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth's temperatures over the past 50 years.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

I have to post this often ... many are still denying the facts ... why ?

As soon as I read "under the auspices of the UN" I knew it was BS. I want to know what caused climate changes up and down 200 years ago. You know way before there were SUV's. For every scientist or study saying it's all because of humans there are twice as many saying if you believe the <deleted> being shovelled at you, you deserve to be herded around like sheep and pay all the taxes that they will require to make the world "safe" again. Why are ma y denying your "facts"? Because they are refuted by thousands of other scientists who say don't be stupid and buy the <deleted> you are being fed by global alarmists. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

There won't be any change unless the politicians make laws to that effect, but as we all know they are controlled by the super rich.

Renewable Energy Investment to Surpass USD 2.5 Trillion for 2010-2019, UNEP Report Finds

https://sdg.iisd.org/news/renewable-energy-investment-to-surpass-usd-2-5-trillion-for-2010-2019-unep-report-finds/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sea levels haven't risen measurably since the 1860s. Tide mark is in the same place.

Food and crop production are currently at the highest levels in the history of man.

Liberty18682016.jpg

Wow! If anything demonstrates a profound lack of knowledge it's a comment like this. For these photos to be validly compared you'd have to know what time they were taken in relation to high and low tide for those particular days And even that wouldn't be enough since wind can influence the height of the tide as well.

• Like 2