Sounds coming from engine when accelerating

4MyEgo

I have a Ford pickup 4 years old now, around 140,000kms on it, never had an issue since purchased it new, regular oil changes etc etc etc.

When I accelerate at times or drive normally, when it gets to about 2,000RPM's I get this sort of a whistling noise, not all the time, and am thinking maybe it has something to do with the turbo, a belt or a hose, there is no issue with the driving of the vehicle, no splattering or anything.

Anyone care to provide some probable causes, failing that will take it to Ford to see what their mechanic/s come up with.

Thanks in advance for any constructive answers to my question. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

Belt would be more akin to 'squealing'

If there's whistling when give pedal could be a generic boost/vacuum hose leak, as air is forcing throught a slit under pressure, if leak is minor and car have MAP instead MAF the car could appears driving normal. Both before turbo intake and after throttle plate have significant vacuum, thus should be noticable whistling when sudden left off throttle; otherwise more like main boost piping after compressor. I'm not expert just my 2 cents though

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Belt would be more akin to 'squealing'

If there's whistling when give pedal could be a generic boost/vacuum hose leak, as air is forcing throught a slit under pressure, if leak is minor and car have MAP instead MAF the car could appears driving normal. Both before turbo intake and after throttle plate have significant vacuum, thus should be noticable whistling when sudden left off throttle; otherwise more like main boost piping after compressor. I'm not expert just my 2 cents though

Makes sense to me, yes I don't believe it's a belt either, more likely something to do with the inlet manifold gasket or some hose with a leak.

Will keep an ear on it and probably end up going to Ford as best to solve the problem before it gets worse.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, Coremouse said:

If there's whistling when give pedal could be a generic boost/vacuum hose leak

And the prize goes to you sir, as I also suspected a hose leak, one that might be going into the turbo.

Went to Ford, changed the hose on the spot, could see where the leak was, stains on the top and around the head of the long hose which also fed into the radiator at the other end.

766 baht for the hose, 260 labor and vat all up just over a thousand baht, they also picked up the battery needs changing as its been 4 years and the brake oil (fluid I am assuming they mean) was black and needed changing, so the wife will take it to them in the morning after dropping off the kids, best to get them to change the battery, e.g. radio codes etc etc and they are the same price as the others.

Thanks for you analysis which coincided with mine, always good to get other peoples input when not sure.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 7:04 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Makes sense to me, yes I don't believe it's a belt either, more likely something to do with the inlet manifold gasket or some hose with a leak.

Will keep an ear on it and probably end up going to Ford as best to solve the problem before it gets worse.

It is possible that it is the air intake pipe into the turbo that is drilled or even cut over a longer or shorter length.
When you accelerate, you have a high-pitched whistle and in slow motion, there is nothing ...

I had this problem on a Scania 110 Super (truck 300 HP) about forty years ago;
the breakdown was difficult to find.

I had not seen that the answer had already been given.
As for the battery, I have the same problem since the purchase of my Isuzu pickup a little more than ten years ago; systematic battery change every 3 ½ years;
I do not understand why here, in Thailand, car batteries last so short;
in Europe it is easily double.
For the brake fluid, Isuzu changes it  every 40,000 km but checks every 10,000 km when I go there for oil change / lubrication.

I drive my pickup as I drove my heavy goods vehicles in Europe, that is to say gentle pedaling and respect for speed;
I never reach 2,000 rpm; I am at 90/95 at 1850/1900 rpm
and the pickup which has a 3.000cc engine and an automatic gearbox consumes on average 6 to 6.5 liters of GO per hundred km

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Thanks 1