Mass shooting puts Thai army officers' side deals under scrutiny

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

So you are saying:

- corruption is linked to ethnicity

- Thai corruption is the fault of the CIA

- Corruption would be diminished if the CIA and US moved out of Asia.

Okay ......................................................... ????

I have said nothing or rather written about all this;
this is an extrapolation on your part.
Read me again ...
I wrote that it is in the genes; not in the ethnicity
The Finns, the Norwegians, the Swedes, the Danes and some other peoples know little or nothing about corruption;
Singapore and Hong Kong are also at the top of the list of countries with little or no corruption.

By cons I wrote what everyone or in any case all those who are interested in SE Asia for a few decades know because it is common knowledge.
the CIA, through its aviation company Air America, has done enormous damage to Thailand (to its people, not to its HiSos, which have been very happy for many years) but not only ...

You are certainly one of those who put their hands in front of the eyes so as not to see and plugs in the ears so as not to hear.
Everyone has his own life ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

An officer class mainly interested in doing political deals and planning military coups.

@baerboxer who finds it very funny :

a diligent reading of the life of Jules Cesar should leave you doubtful;
but not only him; his friends who betrayed him were like him ...
soldiers and at the head of immense fortunes not always and not even often well acquired.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Don't forget the TV station and several radio stations.

The vast tracts of Thai real estate..the murder of Thai women brokers...

This is a rank smelling bucket of pooh of gigantic proportions..in a nation where buckets of pooh are readily accesible on every street corner.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

A bank that has failed twice in less than 50 years.
When its leaders confuse their deep pockets too easily with the cash, this is generally what happens.
Really not the bank where I would open an account.:annoyed:

When I first came here to work in 1993 I used the TMB atms because it was the closest bank to the hotel where I was staying on Sukhumvit soi 11. When I came back in 1994 ton 1997 I moved hotels and into an apartment I never bothered with TMB again and I still don't use it.

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It is quite telling that in this day and age the Thai army is on a par with the late Roman Army of the 4th and 5th centuries AD.

For this is how the Roman army managed after the central finances of the Empire had all but collapsed..

1.Enforced conscription of the poor and slaves.

2.engagement in commerce and trades to make a living

3.Low pay and many deductions.

4.Draconian discipline in order to keep the disaffected in line.

5.High rate of desertion.

6.An officer class mainly interested in doing political deals and planning military coups.

Very true. I also remember watching the Netflix docu - series about the Romans and how the Emperors used to try and rig / bribe the Senate to back them.

Just like the Junta did here thousands of years later.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In three months, officers from general’s to colonel’s rank will definitely not have outside jobs and I don’t care, because I know what can go wrong,” he said. “This is the start to resolving the long-standing problems in the Army

Wow, are the pockets already full????? ????

• Like 1

Kicking retired generals out of their military houses does absolutely nothing for the poorly-paid low-ranking soldiers.  Ditto for changing gun and land purchase schemes.   I don't see any deep, meaningful reform aimed at improving the lot of the regular soldiers.  

• Like 2

I think this bloke will last approximately the next five minutes in his job until he goes the way of Big Joke – transparency isn’t synonymous with Thailand ????????‍♂️????????????????????????

Edited by jack7106

On 2/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, snoop1130 said:

Details of the deal that enraged Jakrapanth are not clear, but it appears to have involved his purchase of a house, brokered by the mother-in-law of his commanding officer, Colonel Anantharot Krasae.

Details of the deal that enraged Jakrapanth are not clear - at least not to English language news agencies it seems.  My wife on the other hand has been informing me of the details that must be available via the Thai press since this incident occurred.