Need recomends on voltage converter to 110v

chingmai331

I bought a 2nd hand japanese made sewing machine 110V.  Now i need to convert to from local 220v down to 110v.

Amorn shop had a big one for 2500baht, way over my budget but it did go both ways, up/down.  I note Lazada has many but some are no name, travel gadgets, low wattage etc.

I need min 200 watts. 

Any info on these and is Lazada the best source?

Depending on the configuration, you may be better off buying a new motor instead of a transformer.  Sewing machine motors are a pretty ubiquitous item, and generally easy to replace.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=sewing+machine+motor&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719ciStk4r

Edit:  Make sure you order one from a local company (select "local" on the left), or you may wait awhile for delivery from China.  Or, most neighborhoods have shops that sell sewing supplies.  Easy to identify by the sewing machines on display.  I see tons of them in Chinatown and up and down Suk in BKK.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

buy an uninterruptible power supply (ups) which has 200V + 110V outputs, don't trust cheap Chinese transformers as you might get a shock. 200 watts you could run off a 12v car invertor if you needed to as the one I have (low powered) is rated at 250W continuous. Is it a 50 or 60 Hz machine as I just checked and Japan uses both frequencies in different parts of the country. if it's 60hz (without any electronics) it will run slightly slower and a higher temperature but some ups here you can select output frequency as it doesn't matter what the mains frequency is because an invertor creates ac from dc so it could be either frequency.

I checked the Lazada url and i never knew so many sewing machine parts available.  Thank you for that.

That's what i will do, change motors.  Since i already have an even older sewing machine with motor attached i'll simply !! swap out when needed. It's only a casual hobby idea which may prove useful or educational and the machine was cheap.

Retired gentlemen, like myself, need something to keep brain and hands working or go bonkers.  It may take months to get going, but that's the advantage of 'retirement': all the time in the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

all the time in the world.

Don't tell that to your wife or you may be inundated with "Honey, do(s)..."  I took up stick welding at 70 (about 6 months ago) and getting pretty darn good at it.  Wife seems to have an infinite need for planted pot holders so it's keeping me "busy".  Cheers.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Don't tell that to your wife or you may be inundated with "Honey, do(s)..."  I took up stick welding at 70 (about 6 months ago) and getting pretty darn good at it.  Wife seems to have an infinite need for planted pot holders so it's keeping me "busy".  Cheers.

I found that I was really really good at burning holes with the 2.5mm Electrodes ???? but now I’ve found the 2mm and 1.6mm ones I can get a reasonable weld as long as it’s flat or an outside corner.

CC6F71DB-E280-407A-B1E4-8E5292EB52B3.thumb.jpeg.b9b82ce33d82bbced33f9d6a3fb6bfe0.jpeg

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I found that I was really really good at burning holes with the 2.5mm Electrodes

That was my initial hurdle.  The steel I work with is maximum 2mm thickness so easy to do.  I found that turning down the amps to 45-50 helped a lot but then a delicate touch needed to avoid sticking.  The package size for sticks seems to be a lifetime supply so I hesitate to experiment.  ????

I bought stick on Lazada in various configurations.  Mostly 308 stainless rod in 2.0mm and 2.6mm.  As I recall, I brought my 1.6mm rod from China.  I would see it at the BITEC trade shows, but never could find the shops that sell it.  Nice to see that it is available in LOS shops.  Some other guys I know would be pleased if you posted your source.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I bought stick on Lazada in various configurations.  Mostly 308 stainless rod in 2.0mm and 2.6mm.  As I recall, I brought my 1.6mm rod from China.  I would see it at the BITEC trade shows, but never could find the shops that sell it.  Nice to see that it is available in LOS shops.  Some other guys I know would be pleased if you posted your source.

They are available on lazada, where I got mine

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0Tlfk

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0Tirn

and I saw them on the shelf in the HQ store of HardwareHouse yesterday, HardwareHouse is cheaper than Lazada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

My latest project that turned out well, I thought.  Wheels for the equinox re-positioning.

Pot holder 3.JPG

Much nicer looking welds than mine, although the difference between a bad looking weld and a good one is often ones skill with an angle grinder ???? ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Retired gentlemen, like myself, need something to keep brain and hands working or go bonkers.  It may take months to get going, but that's the advantage of 'retirement': all the time in the world.

Humm I’m finding that I don’t know how I found time to work as I have so much to do now.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Much nicer looking welds than mine, although the difference between a bad looking weld and a good one is often ones skill with an angle grinder ???? ????

I used the grinder on the top and side welds just to get a smooth surface but there were some ugly ones for sure.  Mostly the ones where I blew through and determined to build back and cover.  ????

Started my project.  OMG, i'm already over my head.  The sewing machine i bought cheap is 'computer sewing' so once i opened the thing up, wires and chips galore.  Very unlike the old mechanical clunker i have.  But, the new thing more or less, sews the same way.  Thread tension, internal arms and gears, dog feed, etc but probably various stitch control functions computerized.  Lots to learn for me.

And yes, 100 V.  I may need to use a voltage controller to control the computer part, but not the sewing part.