I flew in from europe yesterday and I got problems again

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

i used to always write down 3 months +, not once did i get questioned. It's not normal for the IO to focus on that field

I think they do check everything now in other countries IO check the documents that are presented to them they can't check documents that you might obtain or you might not obtain in the future for example most countries wouldn't let you in if you passport has less than 6 months before it expires, Now it would be great if people could tell IO that they planning to renew their passport in a few months so can they granted access on that basis

I’ve been visiting Thailand for many years now ‘always visit 3 month SETV after 60 days just report to immigration and renew another 30 days at cost 1900 baht. Have a Thai family in ubon and when visiting last year was grilled about the address and told to refill in of course refused,was questioned for 25m last person at carousel only allowed through after contacting my partner. Was the first time I’ve had trouble,. Will be returning on the 25th and I’m expecting a friendlier welcome without delays before departing for ubon on SETV ‘because of the strong baht only visit once a year ‘ previously twice a year,

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fourpack said:

Funny how these sort of things only ever seems to happen to members on here. I'm on many many Thai forums and you just don't see it on there.

Strange

On a Cambodian forum, someone was mentioning a hassle from Koh Kong/Hat Lek, but it was more of an in out thing about 24 hours wait to get back into Cambodia, I dont pay attention.

18 hours ago, madmen said:

Because those countries never ask questions, just a big hug and instant stamp. Your in dream world 

No , you're in the Dreamworld.

If you like Thais and know them as much as you profess , you would realise that a Jai Yen Yen approach is what is ideal behaviour for a good Buddhist Thai  in all situations  , yet these officials appear to have been encouraged to do the opposite.

If they are going to be aggressive , only to end up granting the entry , then what may I ask is the point?

I believe this is contrived behaviour , and I experienced the same not long back.

The fact that its still happening as Thai tourism sinks, is most discouraging.

Edited by zaZa9
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

If you like Thais and know them as much as you profess , you would realise that a Jai Yen Yen approach is what is ideal behaviour for a good Buddhist Thai is  in all situations  , yet these officials appear to have been encouraged to do the opposite.

If they are going to be aggressive , only to end up granting the entry , then what may I ask is the point?

I have a different viewpoint. These second level inquisitors have a job of questioning and often denying entry for hours and hours every day. The reactions they are going to get from affected visitors will vary, but they will have experienced some ugly situation. I would be very surprised if they have received appropriate training. The officials have become hyper defensive, and one of the ways this manifests itself is in aggressive behaviour on their part. This is regrettable, but not surprising.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, olfu said:

I don't understand why this guy became upset--immigration officer can ask any questions as he is in charge and that's the name of the game.

I get questioned every two years when I return to the USA , my country of citizenship. "Why were you away so long ?" "What do you do in Thailand ?" etc etc. "Oh...you live in Thailand ? Then what are you doing back here ?" (That last one got me...I told him I missed Walmart...got a chuckle and a 'Have a good Day')

Just routine stuff an IO is trained to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

I get questioned every two years when I return to the USA , my country of citizenship. "Why were you away so long ?" "What do you do in Thailand ?" etc etc. "Oh...you live in Thailand ? Then what are you doing back here ?" (That last one got me...I told him I missed Walmart...got a chuckle and a 'Have a good Day')

Just routine stuff an IO is trained to do.

Yeah Im really looking forward to my upcoming trip back. You live in Cambodia? What do you do there? Photography? Could you step over here please. Great, a TB of pics of Buddhas, Temples and Orchids, have at it boys, got any coffee?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, murikamba said:

May be it took Thai IOs decades to realize the quality of farangs that visit Thailand and their main reason to come to Thailand after observing mass Chinese and Indian tourists that come to Thailand with their spouses and children from their native countries.

Would have thought cash coming into the country from any nationality was one of LOS goals, whether they wear flip-flops 24/7 or not.....????

7 hours ago, freeman01 said:

associate that with prostitution and such.

I wonder why. Did it take them decades to figure out the real reason for farangs to come to Thailand unlike Chinese//Indians/Russians who come with their children and wives from their native lands and farangs have to travel 10,000 miles ot find girl friends. Normal people find girl friends closer to where they live, not 10,000 miles away.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, murikamba said:

I wonder why. Did it take them decades to figure out the real reason for farangs to come to Thailand unlike Chinese//Indians/Russians who come with their children and wives from their native lands and farangs have to travel 10,000 miles ot find girl friends. Normal people find girl friends closer to where they live, not 10,000 miles away.

What's your story....?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, parafareno said:

even though I showed him money, ticket back...he still was not happy....he had to call my igirlfriend and interrogate her for 10 - 15 minutes...stressful for her and stressful for me... I felt like I was the worse kind of criminal.......I really wanted to just say to him keep the visa......and he also said what if thai come to my country...how does immigration treat them? ANd then you see hudreds of people going through immigration with no problem....

There is clearly something (wrong) noted on your file, cause what you experience is not normal at all ...   I would recommend you to go with your gf to the immi office in bkk and ask to speak a higher officer. Explain your situation, ask if something wrong noted, or why this happen to you ... show you are descent, polite. Hopefully he can add to your file something that will prevent you from this very unpleasant situation next time. Good luck.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jimcarr65 said:

Thailand has changed a lot since 2012, etc....when they were happy to have us and the baht was 34 or higher. I haven't been back since 2018 and am not planning another visit.

EXACTLY. It is hardly worth it anymore for a lot of people. But many will say it's great and nothing wrong with it here because they are anchor holding them here. I.E wife and kids, but no way out, some are stuck, so they just convince themselves it's fine. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, murikamba said:

They want farangs who like Russians/Chinese/Indians come with their children and wives like family men spend their holidays and go home. They want Thailand to be a family holiday destination not the kind of holiday destination it is reputed to be amongst farangs.

Yes, Chinese. they love them, they love Indians, come for 2 weeks, spend as much as you can and F off out.  that is the attitude, you are correct.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaopad999 said:

They do NOT want Farang here. It is obvious. 

Some are indeed.

Apparently not (yet) the government, or they should implement regulations that nearly no one should be able to full-fill.

For 3 nationalities it is sure became harder.

Still not the case for many nationalities, who still can obtain an extension without money in a Thai bank or a mandatory monthly transfer. 

16 minutes ago, Incobart said:

There is clearly something (wrong) noted on your file, cause what you experience is not normal at all ...   I would recommend you to go with your gf to the immi office in bkk and ask to speak a higher officer. Explain your situation, ask if something wrong noted, or why this happen to you ... show you are descent, polite. Hopefully he can add to your file something that will prevent you from this very unpleasant situation next time. Good luck.

I wonder if bringing the gf will improve his situation. Maybe, but maybe not.