Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

32 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I learnt French from a native English speaker.

Thais are unique... If looking to learn both English and French, better chance learning it from a Cambodian than a Thai. 
Which should actually make Thailand feel ashamed as they do have a huge education budget etc etc.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:00 PM, Jare said:

In the UK, teachers now get a promise of 30,000GBP a year starting salary if they're clever, that's a bit more than 30,000THB a month.

Even though true, it isn't really a fair comparison. UK qualified teachers in Thailand aren't earning 30,000THB / month. They will be working in international schools who generally pay more than UK schools with a lot of added benefits that you do not get teaching there (relocation allowance, housing allowance, annual flights, bonus, free lunch, free school for children etc). I take home considerably more per year working in an international school in Bangkok than I did when I was teaching in England. 

The problem for the TEFL 'English' teachers here earning 30,000 - 40,000THB is that it isn't going to be anywhere near enticing in this day and age. However, those salaries never seem to change according to what people say so the machine just keeps on churning without any quality at all. 

Fair play to the people who are doing it for that money and trying to make a difference in Thai schools. It must not be easy I imagine. 

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

Quite simple let NES retirees teach that have a lifetime experience, a passion for their community and a real desire to contribute to Thai esucation. Apsrt from already being based in Thailand probably for a long time and some understanding of Thai culture, surely beats any crappy ology degrees most youngsters get now that just want to spend a gap year travelling. They really are overlooking a vast untapped pool of potential teachers.

A lot of people think they can teach English just because they are English. If that were the case, then I would not have spent four years reading for an English degree along with the £45,000 of student debt that came along with my qualification. What you are advocating if for non-qualified people to work for free and take away the jobs of qualified English teachers.  Sure, they can do it so long as they have a degree and a TEFL or Celta, along with a police check!

4 minutes ago, MRDave said:

A lot of people think they can teach English just because they are English. If that were the case, then I would not have spent four years reading for an English degree along with the £45,000 of student debt that came along with my qualification. What you are advocating if for non-qualified people to work for free and take away the jobs of qualified English teachers.  Sure, they can do it so long as they have a degree and a TEFL or Celta, along with a police check!

Sounds to me that a teacher who has a education debt of 45K GBP, deciding to teach in Thailand for like 40-50K baht a month and not build up pension plus losing on the social welfare pension by not living and working back home, isn't exactly a smart move at all.... Would be stupid actually.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

45 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Please select English speaking teachers without an English regional accent , good diction and no American twang !!.... or am I asking too much ?

As a Geordiie. I speak Geordie to my friends and family. When I use the phone or speak to people not from my area I speak BBC English. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/may/12/trainee-teachers-from-northern-england-told-to-modify-their-accents

https://www.tes.com/magazine/article/teacher-does-your-accent-matter

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, TheDark said:

64.000.000 baht / 3.000 new teacher = 21300 baht / new teacher. I guess that 64 million is price of the project / hiring cost. 

Maybe he needs a few Maths Teachers too and will all of these folks have HEALTH INSURANCE ?

The Government has just embarked on  ANOTHER round of ejecting White Foreigners from the FOREIGN HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEME.
It is only open to “Foreigners from neighbouring countries.” 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Amen. But then, did you *really* not expect exactly that?

Actually, having been in the system for three years during which time I did contract work for public schools (Teach-the-Teacher programs).
Thai culture is highly risk adverse and resistant to change.  New methods are viewed with suspension as well as the farang outsiders who teach using methods other than rote teaching.  And being a Westerner, I don't pay the proper deference to authority figures based on their status and standing.  Nor do I care to.

Soooo, - I expected exactly that.  I honestly did try to show them the light.  <laughs> 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, paulikens said:

try and apply for some of them, it definitely matters what age you are, you'll find out they don't want NES unless you are under 25 and good looking, these schools are deluded

I have either worked at, had offers from, been shortlisted or know HoD from all those schools save for Harrow (which I have no interest in working and is intl British curriculum school). The earliest those jobs, offers, discussions were made was when I was 54. In fact, I've worked at or working at equal and better. The age thing is a total myth although some schools may not hire you past 60, many will keep you on. It's your appearance, energy, motivation, professionslism. I've never had problems landing great schools in Bangkok.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Thais are unique... If looking to learn both English and French, better chance learning it from a Cambodian than a Thai. 
Which should actually make Thailand feel ashamed as they do have a huge education budget etc etc.

Thinking about that, and other comments in this topic, perhaps language is as much about pronunciation as vocabulary and grammar. In that context, perhaps you're right in suggesting Cambodians. Would also explain the nonsense of a Glaswegian or Yorkshire Dalesman teaching English Language in London or New York (or TL).

Not that you'll hear any of that from a Thai who thinks they already speak God's language.

18 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

Maybe he needs a few Maths Teachers too and will all of these folks have HEALTH INSURANCE ?

The Government has just embarked on  ANOTHER round of ejecting White Foreigners from the FOREIGN HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEME.

its a pity they dont realise the potential in other areas of work such as sales , i do sales back in uk and also have a tefl cert, and have done teaching english just to get by , and i would much rather do sales over here , the thai argument is well we have already got sales man , but how many understand the farlang and how to sell to them not many ! some cannot even speak a good standard of english 

Students have to fail if they do not attend their English lessons.

Thai teachers should speak English with them when teaching English.

Some Asian teachers are not much better than Thai English teachers.

Al the weird O-net tests say nothing about the kids' ability in English.

The wrong people have positions at the MoE, but no idea about education.

Native English speakers who'd love to do some voluntary work are not allowed to do so.

All students pass, even when they don't attend their English classes, many schools have "phantom students" who go through six years of secondary education, without being present at school. 

Mom and dad pay some money and in the end they receive a good looking high school diploma. 

The CEFR test scores for Thai English teachers were terrible. Wouldn't it make sense if they have to pass a test, suitable for the age group they teach?

Some flight attendants must have a TOEIC score of at least 700, but teachers of the English language are allowed to teach English with a 250 score? 

The salaries in 15 years didn't go up. Many schools now use agencies' contracts and pay only ten months a year.

How does someone with a family survive the dry months?

Many agencies bypass the laws and let unqualified foreigners work for them, to fill a position they get paid.

No matter how bad this teacher is.

Too many foreigners are now working on fishy contracts, no insurance, no social security.

If they get sick, they'll be replaced by another white-skinned person.

How can more prominent schools employ ten trainers, just because none has a degree and all work full time?

Why do some foreigners spend good money to be able to apply for a teacher's license while others work for peanuts and got nothing to do with the TCT?

I could go on and on. In other words, the whole discussion doesn't make sense.

They could hire 20,000 + foreigners. If so many come from the Philippines, where buying a fake degree is pretty standard, it won't change anything. 

Not only for them also Thai teachers buy their master's or Ph.D. for almost nothing. 

Not being racist, but too many Filipinos have a degree in education, but they don't apply for a teacher's license because they know that their degree is fake.

Hiring more foreigners who do not have any teaching experience doesn't help the country.

They need teachers who know what they're doing.

How many times have we seen similar rubbish posts like this one, and nothing has changed?

People who believe that they can lose face will never be able to face the truth and do something that makes sense.

TIT and it couldn't get worse. IMOHO, the level of English 15 years ago wasn't worse than it is now. 

Doesn't that show that all the Asian teachers who only come here to send money home, didn't success?

I'm in no way racist, but if you talk to one of them, they can hardly give you an answer to an easy question. 

Is there any other country that uses so many Filipinos as native English speakers?

In other countries they can be happy to be a babysitter.

The problem is that most Thai teachers do not understand when foreigners are incompetent in English.

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, rooster59 said:

Thailand's education minister has appealed to foreign embassies and other organisations to help him find an extra 3,000 foreign teachers to help schools teach English and other subjects in English.

Again? Wasn't this announced a few months back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torrens54 said:

That's what heppens when all you've got is Bright-Ideas-itis and no clues. Nothing you do does anything useful.

Keystone Kops.