Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

4 hours ago, sahibji said:

ehs818  are you serious? do you think americans, canadians and australians speak good english? i seriously doubt so.

Are you suggesting that only English people can speak good English? Are you referring to those from Yorkshire? London? Somerset? Three dialects as diverse as those from Australia, the US or Canada.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

The amount Thai schools pay for foreign teachers, they’ll only get backpackers for that. 

No..they don't even get many backpackers anymore for the simple reason that the "backpacker" culture is fading fast in Thailand and not in favour anyway.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

No..they don't even get many backpackers anymore for the simple reason that the "backpacker" culture is fading fast in Thailand and not in favour anyway.

Backpackers teach for free to the Cambodian children and they work really hard. May be Thailand is missing on something. Why dont same young Western backpackers teach thai kids for free? 

I knew an English teacher she was Thai and worked in some collage up in Loei and she spoke with this awful American accent I felt sorry for her students and she couldn't understand me properly had to talk slow, Im English 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lovethai123 said:

Backpackers teach for free to the Cambodian children and they work really hard. May be Thailand is missing on something. Why dont same young Western backpackers teach thai kids for free? 

Cannot work for Free in Thailand, still need work permits 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I knew an English teacher she was Thai and worked in some collage up in Loei and she spoke with this awful American accent I felt sorry for her students and she couldn't understand me properly had to talk slow, Im English 

I remember a thai teacher from Bangkok , who offered to be my girlfriend  at a salary of 20000 thb every month. So if the teachers are like this what values are they imparting in young pupils. No wonder there is never a shortage of girls in bars. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Cannot work for Free in Thailand, still need work permits 

Ain't it stupid. these young backpackers especially young Western males and females would work really hard to teach kids some English. 

No matter they have a college degree or not? If they come from an English speaking country they can teach basic English. I understand in cambodia they are doing it as a volunteer work.  

Something thais can learn from their darker skinned neighbours.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Hubble said:

Are you suggesting that only English people can speak good English? Are you referring to those from Yorkshire? London? Somerset? Three dialects as diverse as those from Australia, the US or Canada.

It's true that native English speakers from Europe appear to be most favoured, followed by Aussies. It may or may not be true that their English skills are better than those from Canada or USA, but in Thailand, it doesn't have to be true to be sincerely believed. And acted upon.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Monkeycity said:

They need to be taught bilingually, where they are taught science, maths or a couple important subjects in English. Just having a few English lessons a week is not enough. It needs to be 50/50 if you want good English speakers.

Howcome Scandinavians can speak English almost perfectly?

It's very simple, foreign films that appear on Danish or Dutch or Swedish TV or ..they are always in VO with sometimes subtitling in the language of the country.
So if you want to understand the film, you have to start learning the language concerned: French, German, English, Spanish, Korean (I love Korean cinema), etc ... at school or on your own ...

When the American films which the Thais are fond of , will be in American and not double in Thai, you will see that the Thai will start learning English ...

But as the good general keeps repeating that Thailand is the center of the world and the Thai language is the best in the world.
It's not win ...

• Like 1

I'm a relatively experienced teacher, not languages though, other subjects.

For the salary that I understand foreign teachers are offered in Thailand I would not lift a finger.

There is one issue that surprises me (and annoys me a bit) every time this "learn English" issue surfaces;

Why the strong focus on native speakers? What is really the point of this?

The important part here must be degree of command of languages and the ability to teach, me thinks.

Looking out the window;

there is an awful lot of teaching of foreign languages going in most of the world,

a very very small percentage is done by native speakers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's very simple, foreign films that appear on Danish or Dutch or Swedish TV or ..they are always in VO with sometimes subtitling in the language of the country.
So if you want to understand the film, you have to start learning the language concerned: French, German, English, Spanish, Korean (I love Korean cinema), etc ... at school or on your own ...

When the American films which the Thais are fond of , will be in American and not double in Thai, you will see that the Thai will start learning English ...

But as the good general keeps repeating that Thailand is the center of the world and the Thai language is the best in the world.
It's not win ...

He said the whole world will be speaking Thai in the next ten years

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Ain't it stupid. these young backpackers especially young Western males and females would work really hard to teach kids some English. 

No matter they have a college degree or not? If they come from an English speaking country they can teach basic English. I understand in cambodia they are doing it as a volunteer work.  

Something thais can learn from their darker skinned neighbours.

I've never really understood the child-like assumption made by lots of Thais that a degree in English is a reasonable qualification to be a teacher of English language in Thailand. I don't know if it's still the same now, but post-GCSE English always used to focus on English literature not English language. I would have thought a teaching degree would be much more useful, but then I have no idea how many backpackers would have a teaching degree.

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

An English teacher here has almost no work to do AND gets about 2x higher salary than a Thai teacher which works way harder compared to a foreigner.

????????????????

In many schools, the foreign teachers are assigned 18-22+ contact hours where the Thai teachers are doing 12-15 per week. Now granted the Thai teachers have other ceremonial obligations, meetings, putting on the dress uniform after hours..etc etc. But their teaching workload is generally less.

Edited by tonray
  • Haha 1

Fantastic. I remember a friend of mine working in a school with about 12 teachers, averaging between 38 and 42k.

Over a couple of years the holidays were mostly revised - apparently it's best for them to sit in school rewriting their curriculum (basically copied from the contents page of whatever books the school provided).

Some five years later they were all replaced with English teachers from agencies earning around 21 to 24k per month....

So apparently this kind of publicity is an excellent way of bringing in excellent teachers to teach English at lower prices.

I guess by now the salary should be down to about 10k per month with a free sleeping bag thrown in and bus fare home at the end of term...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Fantastic. I remember a friend of mine working in a school with about 12 teachers, averaging between 38 and 42k.

Over a couple of years the holidays were mostly revised - apparently it's best for them to sit in school rewriting their curriculum (basically copied from the contents page of whatever books the school provided).

Some five years later they were all replaced with English teachers from agencies earning around 21 to 24k per month....

So apparently this kind of publicity is an excellent way of bringing in excellent teachers to teach English at lower prices.

I guess by now the salary should be down to about 10k per month with a free sleeping bag thrown in and bus fare home at the end of term...

Exactly what happened to me...wanted me to switch from direct hire to new agency affiliation going from 40 down to 35...with fewer benefits....so the director could potentially leverage the deal....

Edited by tonray

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Pray tell me who actually speaks good English. Please don't say the English.

Ever spoken to a Yorkshire man, a Scouser, a Geordie or any one from Cornwall?

The Dutch speak good english like the Queen....hence they are the best of the world after the Singaporeans.

• Like 2