Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

On 2/15/2020 at 6:38 PM, rooster59 said:

Thailand has faced criticism in the past for hiring English teachers from other Asian countries, such as the Philippines, though no mention was made of this issue by Daily News.

I live near a school, here they have two "English teachers" one Chinese and one Filipino.
The lessons are done outdoors with about 200 students, a total mess!
Not one of the students knows what he says in English, they learned everything by heart.

When I was living in Ca. doing some car maintenance I asked my friend, "mate, get me the torch out of the boot, I need some light under the bonnet".

He could not figure out why I would take a flaming stick out of my shoe and put it in a baby's hat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

My eldest daughter in England is a part time stand in teacher , she is going to university as well to become a full time teacher later this year.  I said ( as she like it here ) she could teach here. But with only knowing about 6 words of Thai now could she get by teaching  here without speaking Thai ? So my point is how many English teachers are fluent in Thai ?

About 14 years ago I took my Thai wife and two step sons to Australia.
The 8 year old attended a special school for new immigrants. 
Within 4 years his English was excellent. 
His mother wanted him to continue his education in Thailand so shortly before he finished his primary school education in Australia, she took him back to Thailand and enrolled him at a local high school.
Shortly after he was expelled because his Thai abilities were poor.
He was forced to take a one-day a week course in Thai, the only course available.
He has only just finished that course after 8 years.
His mother neglected to keep her PRS current, so he can not return to Australia unless he tries again to be a migrant. 
He has no prospects for a job in Thailand where he can use his English because all Thai employers insist on a degree. He has lost the will to succeed, lost his enthusiasm and suffers depression.
I tried to get him interested in online marketing but now he sees other opportunities working for loan sharks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Could be worse, they could have been learning from a Geordie Alreet?

I would never hire teachers with strong regional accents if I was a thai principal/school owner.

Assuming I could tell the difference.????

That would go for most Ozzies too.

Amerikanski is the way to go...solly...solly.

55 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So the people from England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland (which are the only natives) are the preferred to be hired as English teachers, correct?

I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. No disrespect, but I can't see it...

14 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

I would never hire teachers with strong regional accents if I was a thai principal/school owner.

Assuming I could tell the difference.????

That would go for most Ozzies too.

Amerikanski is the way to go...solly...solly.

Well, it would be if the spelling of many words was correct. And the really jarring "I would of...." instead of "I would have...". I heard an American refer to someone a few years ago as "American-speaking", which I thought was a bit cheeky under the circs.

• Like 1

I dont know why they dont open the flood gates and let retirees do a couple of hours a week, They could structure a proper training course (Thais make money), introduce a registration/fee etc.

Even if retires could just be there for kids to practice their English, that a real teacher taught, or be assistants to the real teachers.

The existing teacher base would have more time, could take on more students etc.

• Like 2

Well, the same government in its previous "term" scared them away; thousands of English teachers could not get their work permits renewed with the comment "no need, have plenty of Thai who can teach". 

Learn English from a native English speaker; learn how to cook Thai food from a native Thai. 

It also might help to get some stability into the ministry of education; there must have been dozens of ministers over the last 35 years I've been here ???? 

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont know why they dont open the flood gates and let retirees do a couple of hours a week, They could structure a proper training course (Thais make money), introduce a registration/fee etc.

Even if retires could just be there for kids to practice their English, that a real teacher taught, or be assistants to the real teachers.

The existing teacher base would have more time, could take on more students etc.

Thais will never admit that a lowly foreigner can do omething the Thai cannot do. Until they stop that nonsense, nothing will improve. Especially the Thai education grades, which are a disgrace and which ought to be a very loud warning siren but don't appear to be. 

Edited by ParkerN

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, the same government in its previous "term" scared them away; thousands of English teachers could not get their work permits renewed with the comment "no need, have plenty of Thai who can teach". 

Which decision was probably made by an ex-M6 student who sits all day and makes decisions regarding people she doesn't and cannot understand. But Thais always think Thais know best - education or no education. They have to progress beyond this infantile nonsense but show no signs or even desire to do so. Only worth 2/10 - must try harder (but I won't be holding my breath waiting for them).

• Like 1

I think you should all pack your teaching jobs in and move to countries where you will be appreciated and get paid accordingly with the benefits from what I read you are not really wanted anyway 

In my younger days I was good at what I did and if you wanted me then you pay what I wanted or I dont go, I was not a teacher.

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Learn English from a native English speaker; learn how to cook Thai food from a native Thai. 

It also might help to get some stability into the ministry of education; there must have been dozens of ministers over the last 35 years I've been here ???? 

One of the problems associated with awarding high-paid jobs on the basis of (actual or anticipated) reward for loyalty rather than ability.

For all you posters out there, this rubbish gets repeated aver couple of years when some bozo wants to make a name for himself or wished to influence a group of people with about as much savvy as my garden gate. The same comments get made (often but not always by different people). It doesn't work, nothing useful happens or changes and we all know why. Banging one's head against a brick wall is what we do every so often with these people, Thailand is a 3rd word country and will remain so for as long as it's people behave like 3rd-world people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Asking for a friend said:

Frankly, that’s the charm of the place, IMHO, don’t screw with it. A glorious bizzarro universe relatively benign ethnostate that wants my money.

Not sure I'd enjoy living with Eskimos, but I'm sure they have charm as well.

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think you should all pack your teaching jobs in and move to countries where you will be appreciated and get paid accordingly with the benefits from what I read you are not really wanted anyway 

In my younger days I was good at what I did and if you wanted me then you pay what I wanted or I dont go, I was not a teacher.

Ditto. And it has not changed. Frankly I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for 30,000THB a month, and I've had and refused opportunities to do so.

• Like 1

Basically, the idea is good.  The problem, as already mentioned here, is the way of teaching here in Thailand.  The system as used here as lessons. 

I know a lot of teachers here.  And indeed, Thai teachers who teach English here are in most cases unacceptable .... with respect!  We could write a lot about it, but it seems pointless.  Of course, the way of teaching is unusable.

May it can be compared as follows: You want to fill water into a bucket that has a hole at the bottom.  Regardless of whether the hole is large or small. This in case of the ability to remember the lessons in an acceptable way.

It is a playroom but not a useful teaching if we stick to the example of English.  I tried to teach in schools earlier.  Not just in simple English with meaningful conversations.  Also in German and programming on computers.  Sorry, but it is unacceptable by our standards. 

The simplest exercises are forgotten and have to be repeated countless times.  As a result, I gave up.  Even the type of instruction that has existed since the beginning basically consists of memorizing and repeating, but not in order to form a knowledge base with independent thinking. 

The entire system would have to be reformed.  But the whole system in itself is a disaster.  I personally believe that we better leave these self-confident Thais to their stupid fate.  Pride combined with stupidity or ignorance is a difficult disease to cure.

Last not least... and to be fair... there are a lot of Thais willing to learn, and they can remeber the stuff really good. Even there are a lot of intelligent Thais, able to think and combinate by itself, YES there are.

But the almost big mass of this strange people thinking like in a prepared box.

Budda forgive them... they really don't know what they doing... ????

'Tis just a game..

Someone has put the squeeze on the current minister...presumably from Singapore or Malaysia as no-one in the West is interested anymore.

The minister has just gone into his Kreng Jai mode and lied his head off which is the only thing that his esteemed cabinet colleagues (and every Thai that I ever met) know as well.

..and so it goes..

Not worth the brain power.

No teachers will be employed because the conditions are abysmal but they will still be able to steal the childrens play lunches..which is the only thing to be of any form of real importance in Thailand.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Liss Camber said:

Criticism....criticism...criticism here! Is there ever a thing you all can estimate as a good step forward? Keyboard warriors all over?! Sad but true. 

That knife has 2 edges. one could equally well ask of a Thai-o-phile 'what Thai behaviour would qualify for any criticism at all?' You say tomato, I say tomato. Who's right? Who's to say? The numbers are against you though.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Another roundabout way of getting rid of some westerners !

Unless they pay the money and stop that stupid 90 day reporting the only ones applying will be the ESL and ones with a literary degree that plan to drop out for a year, the biggest problem facing Thailand education is to teach English properly you require university degree holders that know the proper Technics of teaching, ESL is only an abridged version of the ABC.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kelsall said:

From what English teachers here have told me, schools prefer American teachers over other nationalities.   True?  I can't see them getting many Americans to fly this far to teach for what is considered low pay in the US. 

If they come, they would, in common with Filipino teachers, only teach American English and not "Real" English. Sadly, the few English teachers from UK that I have met do not last long, as they tend not to "toe the line" with regard to teaching methods or spelling! 

15 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Unless they pay the money and stop that stupid 90 day reporting the only ones applying will be the ESL and ones with a literary degree that plan to drop out for a year, the biggest problem facing Thailand education is to teach English properly you require university degree holders that know the proper Technics of teaching, ESL is only an abridged version of the ABC.

Who (in their right mind) would come and teach in Thailand?

Whether they have 23 degrees or not does not matter-the pay and conditions are abysmal.Full stop.

The days of casual teachers (i.e  backpackers) are long over-a situation created by the appalling numptys describing themselves as the Thai gov't.And appalling numpty's they most certainly are.

So let 'em Kreng Jai themselves to oblivion as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Higher salaries.

Much better working conditions.

Easier process of obtaining a crimnal record, B visa, work permit!

Cut out the corrupt Thai directors plus teachers.

Instruct Thai students to stop being racist and show far more respect for their guests.

Housing.

Medical insurance.

Paid holidays.

Cut out the pathetic Bull sxxt most non Thai teachers are subjectec to.

Respect foreginers for assisting Thailand!

Standards are low simply because Thai do not respect FARANG Simple! Thai would rather tell FARANG to FXXK OFF!!

Edited by Sonhia
  • Thanks 1