Ilr In Person

Hi Guys

My wifes visa is valid from 1 May 05 to 1 May 2007, we arrived in the country on May 24th 2005.

This means she has between 26th April - 30th April to apply for the ILR (this falls over the weekend so only leaves 3 possible days).

I phoned up today to try and book an appointment and was told that she cant actually phone for an appointment until 26th April even though they take bookings 14 days in advance.

So i asked if i phoned on the 12th (14 days before the 26th) would i be able to book a time (stating i realise she cant hand the forms in before the 26th) and i was told no as they wouldnt even book an appointment until the 26th when she is within the 28 day period.

Surely this is madness as there is a high probability that if i phoned on the 26th there would be no dates before 30th????

Do you think they are making it as difficult as possible??

so are they within there right not to make an appointment and make it as hard as possible for me??

Chris

NB. applying in person as planning to go away in May - anyone know how long the turnaround is on a postal application??

Thanks

Chris,

At which Public Enquiry Office are you trying to get an appointment?

If you go in person make sure that you have evidence covering the entire 2-year period right from more or less day one, as, otherwise, they may not accept the application anyway. Postal applications, in my recent experience, are taking about 6 weeks.

Scouse.

Scouse

Am trying to get an appointment for Birmingham (appears to be the same 0870 number as Croydon) - worst thing is on previous occasions they said it would be ok, but this current operator even put me through to a supervisor who confirmed i couldnt make an appointment till 26th - Crazy.

In relation to documents we arrived in May and we have Council Tax and Water bills in her name from this date, she opened up a bank account in June/July and has all Bank statements since then, NI Numbers etc and Wage slips from July.

Anything else you can think of? will the limited May/June documents be enough? Also dont know if its a big deal but the Council have her as a Mr instead of Mrs but it clearly shows her first name - do you thinks its a problem?

Thanks again for the help.

Chris

Chris,

I'd phone again and try to speak to a different person. Are they saying that they have no interview slots left until those dates, or are they saying that no one can book an appointment until 5 days before their visa expires?

By the way, I just noticed that the PEO pages haven't been updated yet, and the application fee is still shown as £500.00. Are you aware it is now £950.00?

Scouse.

Scouse

Unfortunately yeah realise its £950 instead of the £500 bit of a hike but no choice.

What they are saying is that they wont even entertain giving us an appointment until the wife has been in the country 23 months (26th April) which i think is ludicrus as all im asking for is an appointment to arrive on that date not been seen before - hope that makes sense? - They have loads of appointments sill.

Yeah ill try again and hopefully get someone whos more understanding.

I don't know if the various Public Enquiry Offices operate different policies, but Liverpool, in my experience, will let you book appointments way in advance as long as the date of the appointment is within the last 28 days of the visa's validity: after all, there's nothing to be gained by booking a date and turning up when you know you don't qualify and are going to be given short shrift. Can you explain to them that although your wife has not yet been in the UK 23 months, she will have been on 26 April, and you therefore simply want to book an appointment for a day between then and when her visa expires on 1 May?

Scouse.

Scouse

No luck, have been through to 5 different people now and all are saying the same that she cant even book an appointment until she falls into the 28 days (26th April) and with the 1st May being the date is expires means i have to phone up on the 26th and hope they have appointments for 26th/27th/30th or 1st May.

Thats presuming she can apply on the 1st May if her visa is valid from 1 May 2005 - 1st May 2007??

Doesnt look promising!!! any ideas??

Cheers

Chris

Welsh,

Dont panic about your expiry date on the visa-you landed UK May 24th 2005,that therefor is your expiry date May 24th 2007 and not May 1st

Please make sure you use your actual landing in the UK as your expiry and dont in fact go for ILR a week or so early.The reason being that the applicant must have completed the full probabtion period.

I made that mistake,and believe me I went bonkers.Argued and argued eventually got an extension for 6months and they charged me £500, oh and they said you should not have booked a holiday-I said you should make everybody aware when you change the rules.I nearly got thrown out.

delboy

Dont panic about your expiry date on the visa-you landed UK May 24th 2005,that therefor is your expiry date May 24th 2007 and not May 1st

That is incorrect, the visa is valid for two years from the start date which in this case is 1st May 2005.

Chris, has your wife passed the Life in the UK test or completed an ESOL course including citizenship materials? If not then an ILR application will fail. In this case you should apply for FLR.

As regard the application, as long as it is in the post prior to your wife's visa expiring then an extension is automatically given while the application is considered. My advice is post it by special delivery on 27th or 28th April. Also pay be cheque which will slow things down until the cheque is cleared.

Del boy

I always assumed that as the visa said valid until 1st May 2007 that meant that was the expiry???

The 28 days before is from the date of landing but im sure the visa still expires on 1st May, giving us the few days window to get it renewed???

Either way have the appoinment on 27th now (albeight out of the way in Liverpool) so falls within 28 days of both dates.

:o-->

QUOTE(Chris.B @ 2007-04-10 22:42:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is incorrect, the visa is valid for two years from the start date which in this case is 1st May 2005.

Chris, has your wife passed the Life in the UK test or completed an ESOL course including citizenship materials? If not then an ILR application will fail. In this case you should apply for FLR.

As regard the application, as long as it is in the post prior to your wife's visa expiring then an extension is automatically given while the application is considered. My advice is post it by special delivery on 27th or 28th April. Also pay be cheque which will slow things down until the cheque is cleared.

Welshchris, if you fall between the dates then all is good.

Chris b-my quote was from EXPERIENCE,I was there at Croydon and I remember it well!!

I too was confused alittle over the expiry date and as my wifes visa expired on 08/01/06 we went and done exactly like it said on the piece of paper YOU MUST APPLY 4 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR VISA EXPIRY DATE.

Now then,the appointment was made,on arrival we was told as we/she had arrived 28/01 we was in fact 3 weeks early and they would NOT process the application as my wife had not been here for the full probation period.

That was my experience,and I quote"you should make everybody aware when you change the rules" is exactly what I'd said and nearly got thrown out.

oh and yes doing it post is a lot easier,unless of course you make travel arrangments.