Bull terrier Peggy honoured for wartime efforts in comforting Gordon Highlanders POWs in Thailand

webfact

I taught history to these Thais. They have no clue about WW2 or Japanese internment camps in Kanchanaburi or the holocaust. Only about mobile phones and the usual brainwashing that is so pervasive within their education system. I showed a year 9 class pictures of the holocaust; they fell out of their chairs laughing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Is this a joke thread?

People take the Mickey out of Thais and their amulets......and now we read about a long dead dog getting an award for services to long dead people in skirts, in a battle in which they lost.

My head is spinning.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Is this a joke thread?

People take the Mickey out of Thais and their amulets......and now we read about a long dead dog getting an award for services to long dead people in skirts, in a battle in which they lost.

My head is spinning.

Well I hope your head keeps spinning out of control into oblivion!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Is this a joke thread?

My head is spinning.

We might have lost the battle ,but won the war,otherwise you might

be speaking German or Japanese today.

English Bull terriers are my favorite dog,ever since I kidnapped one

when I was a young kid,my mother made me give it back,I have had

3 over the years.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Battle honours awarded to the regiment included:[10]

Early Wars: Mysore, South Africa 1835, Tel-El-Kebir, Egypt 1882 '84, Nile 1884–5, Chitral, Tirah, Defence of Ladysmith, Paardeberg, South Africa, 1899–1902

The Great War: Mons, Le Cateau, Retreat from Mons, Marne 1914 '18, Aisne 1914, La Bassée 1914, Messines 1914, Armentières 1914, Ypres 1914 '15 '17, Langemarck 1914, Gheluvelt, Nonne Bosschen, Neuve Chapelle, Frezenberg, Bellewaarde, Aubers, Festubert 1915, Hooge 1915, Loos, Somme 1916, 18, Albert 1916 '18, Bazentin, Delville Wood, Pozières, Guillemont, Flers-Courcelette, Le Transloy, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917 '18, Vimy 1917, Scarpe 1917 '18, Arleux, Bullecourt, Pilckem, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, Broodseinde, Poelcapelle. Passchendaele, Cambrai 1917 '18, St. Quentin, Bapaume 1918, Rosières, Lys, Estaires, Hazebrouck, Béthune, Soissonnais-Ourcq, Tardenois, Hindenburg Line, Canal du Nord, Selle, Sambre, France and Flanders 1914–18, Piave, Vittorio Veneto, Italy 1917–18

The Second World War: Withdrawal to Escaut, Ypres-Comines Canal, Dunkirk 1940, Somme 1940, St. Valery-en-Caux, Odon, La Vie Crossing, Lower Maas, Venlo Pocket, Rhineland, Reichswald, Cleve, Goch, Rhine, North-West Europe 1940, '44–45, El Alamein, Advance on Tripoli, Mareth, Medjez Plain, North Africa 1942–43, Landing in Sicily, Sferro, Sicily 1943, Anzio, Rome, Italy 1944–45

How many battle honours do you have?

All those lives lost for what, look at the state of the country now, they will be turning in their graves.

We also had an English Bull terrier and by sheer coincidence my Mother named her Peggy........

Her Father and his family were Scottish......Might have to dig around to see if there is a connection.

Edited by NE1

On 2/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, Somtamnication said:

I taught history to these Thais. They have no clue about WW2 or Japanese internment camps in Kanchanaburi or the holocaust. Only about mobile phones and the usual brainwashing that is so pervasive within their education system. I showed a year 9 class pictures of the holocaust; they fell out of their chairs laughing!

The Thai police came to our school last week with a presentation about Cyber Crime.  In included several videos, one of which showed a sobbing man being tied to a cross and executed by gunfire (as is done in Thailand).  Some of the P5 boys were almost pissing themselves with laughter at the sight.

2 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The Thai police came to our school last week with a presentation about Cyber Crime.  In included several videos, one of which showed a sobbing man being tied to a cross and executed by gunfire (as is done in Thailand).  Some of the P5 boys were almost pissing themselves with laughter at the sight.

And when was the last execution by firing squad? 

As for laughing about it, well that's a completely different story and points to something lacking in Thai mentality, although there is a tenancy in LOS to laugh at misfortune - but certainly extreme in this case. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And when was the last execution by firing squad? 

2003.  Though they didn't use a full firing squad, they had a single man with a rifle pull the trigger.  The book The Last Executioner is an interesting read, though the title is a misnomer, as there have been several executions since he retired.

After that, they switched to lethal injection.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Early Wars: Mysore, South Africa 1835, Tel-El-Kebir, Egypt 1882 '84, Nile 1884–5, Chitral, Tirah, Defence of Ladysmith, Paardeberg, South Africa, 1899–1902

The Great War: Mons, Le Cateau, Retreat from Mons, Marne 1914 '18, Aisne 1914, La Bassée 1914, Messines 1914, Armentières 1914, Ypres 1914 '15 '17, Langemarck 1914, Gheluvelt, Nonne Bosschen, Neuve Chapelle, Frezenberg, Bellewaarde, Aubers, Festubert 1915, Hooge 1915, Loos, Somme 1916, 18, Albert 1916 '18, Bazentin, Delville Wood, Pozières, Guillemont, Flers-Courcelette, Le Transloy, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917 '18, Vimy 1917, Scarpe 1917 '18, Arleux, Bullecourt, Pilckem, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, Broodseinde, Poelcapelle. Passchendaele, Cambrai 1917 '18, St. Quentin, Bapaume 1918, Rosières, Lys, Estaires, Hazebrouck, Béthune, Soissonnais-Ourcq, Tardenois, Hindenburg Line, Canal du Nord, Selle, Sambre, France and Flanders 1914–18, Piave, Vittorio Veneto, Italy 1917–18

The Second World War: Withdrawal to Escaut, Ypres-Comines Canal, Dunkirk 1940, Somme 1940, St. Valery-en-Caux, Odon, La Vie Crossing, Lower Maas, Venlo Pocket, Rhineland, Reichswald, Cleve, Goch, Rhine, North-West Europe 1940, '44–45, El Alamein, Advance on Tripoli, Mareth, Medjez Plain, North Africa 1942–43, Landing in Sicily, Sferro, Sicily 1943, Anzio, Rome, Italy 1944–45

My grandfather was part of the Gordon Highlanders at St. Valery. They held out there until they had just about run out of ammunition. It was units like the 51st Highland Division that kept a lot of German forces busy and allowed for the evacuations at Dunkirk. 

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I have absolutely none and am proud of that fact.

Now back to the important discussion of a dead dog.