Is this a good time to buy a Condo?

bkk6060

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

I have said on more than one occasion, if Pattaya was listed on the stock exchange, I would short it big time.   ????

Sure...There are many real estate development companies and builders that specialize in Pattaya and BKK  for you to short...Recently,  you would have done very well shorting the  SET.  

4 hours ago, how241 said:

From all of your many posts, Pattaya really sounds bad and getting worse everyday.  So why do you continue to live here ???

32.650 +0.510  ...

USD/THB - US Dollar Thai Baht

Not so bad right now.  

I continue to live here for the same reasons many of us liked holidaying here when we first discovered Pattaya. 

I retired younger, and I'm single. You work out why I am here.  I don't care being called a monger.  I am catching up for some lost time.  I'm here for fun, not to marry a hooker and take care of her extended family.  

My biggest asset in Thailand is a motorbike that I could sell tomorrow for 20k baht, donate some other things, pack my bag and head to the airport.

I have no emotional, financial, property, or business ties here.  I have been told by many they envy my position, even more so in recent times.

I like the variety and choice of restaurants and bars, and the nightlife speaks for itself, pre virus, and in the good old days, but not so much now, but still very lively.

If one was retired and married, with no children, with a useless beach, toxic air, big sleaze factor, traffic, high crime, poor infrastructure, onerous and expensive visa requirements, corruption in your face, higher cost of living, unfriendly locals etc, why would they chose Pattaya over nicer places in Thailand, and the region?  The next generation of retiree is now recognizing this, hence a property glut.

The Chinese and Indians will not fill the western retired expat void as they have no aspirations of retiring here, so you can expect more and more worthless condo's coming onto the market each month, and if you think you can pick up a cheap one at a fire sale to rent to foreign tourists, or expats, or Thai's, think again. 

Western tourists were drying up here pre virus.  Western expats were leaving, post visa law changes.  Thai's were losing employment and leaving, due to the previous mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure...There are many real estate development companies and builders that specialize in Pattaya and BKK  for you to short...Recently,  you would have done very well shorting the  SET.  

A lot of foreclosures and repossessions in the next 12 months.

Thai banks have a lot of exposure.  

Of course, the Thai government can just make a retirement visas 1.2 million baht, with 800k untouched, perpetually, and fix the problem.  Just get another free loan from foreigners.   ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

A lot of foreclosures and repossessions in the next 12 months.

Thai banks have a lot of exposure.  

Of course, the Thai government can just make a retirement visas 1.2 million baht, with 800k untouched, perpetually, and fix the problem.  Just get another free loan from foreigners.   ????

Would that raise a lot? You would get an extra 400k from a few expats but lose 800k from many who would finally give up on Thailand.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 6:41 AM, jacko45k said:

Why is 2 floors required?

Never been keen on bungalows,just happen to like an upstairs and it suits us ,horses for courses as they say and the wife likes having a garden and a modern European kitchen as she has lived in the UK for many years .

but if you like living in a condo ,then good for that person .

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Never been keen on bungalows,just happen to like an upstairs and it suits us ,horses for courses as they say and the wife likes having a garden and a modern European kitchen as she has lived in the UK for many years .

but if you like living in a condo ,then good for that person .

I have a bungalow, garden too. Came to like it, could never have done stairs some nights after a night out!

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

I continue to live here for the same reasons many of us liked holidaying here when we first discovered Pattaya. 

I retired younger, and I'm single. You work out why I am here.  I don't care being called a monger.  I am catching up for some lost time.  I'm here for fun, not to marry a hooker and take care of her extended family.  

My biggest asset in Thailand is a motorbike that I could sell tomorrow for 20k baht, donate some other things, pack my bag and head to the airport.

I have no emotional, financial, property, or business ties here.  I have been told by many they envy my position, even more so in recent times.

I like the variety and choice of restaurants and bars, and the nightlife speaks for itself, pre virus, and in the good old days, but not so much now, but still very lively.

You see,  we are very much alike after all. Most all of this applies to me and many others.  Pattaya has changed but it is still better than any other place I know for fun and partying.  Maybe I could not bail out of Thailand as fast as you could but I don't think it would take me a long time to sell everything and move, if necessary.  

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Would that raise a lot? You would get an extra 400k from a few expats but lose 800k from many who would finally give up on Thailand.

Did you see the smiley face at the end of that comment.  I was being sarcastic. 

You see,  we are very much alike after all. Most all of this applies to me and many others.  Pattaya has changed but it is still better than any other place I know for fun and partying.  Maybe I could not bail out of Thailand as fast as you could but I don't think it would take me a long time to sell everything and move, if necessary.  

As mentioned, do you think married retirees want "fun and partying?" 

You would have problems finding buyers in quick time these days (pre virus) even at fire sale prices.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

You would have problems finding buyers in quick time these days (pre virus) even at fire sale prices.

I can only speak to low priced Nirun condos.  Before the virus,  they were selling almost as fast as they came on to the market to Chinese buyers at 700K-750K. Wait a few months and these same buyers will return.  China has a hugh up and coming middle class with cash to spend.  Pattaya is not so far away for them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, how241 said:

I can only speak to low priced Nirun condos.  Before the virus,  they were selling almost as fast as they came on to the market to Chinese buyers at 700K-750K. Wait a few months and these same buyers will return.  China has a hugh up and coming middle class with cash to spend.  Pattaya is not so far away for them. 

Same with the View Talays - if you have money to spare and a brave heart look for at least 50% off the listed price and cast your net wide. You might find a desperate soul needing the cash badly in a no buyer market. View loads flash your cash and don't get sentimental on the condo just the price. Don't ignore fundamentals though of location , facilities and overall management and maintenance.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

If one was retired and married, with no children, with a useless beach, toxic air, big sleaze factor, traffic, high crime, poor infrastructure, onerous and expensive visa requirements, corruption in your face, higher cost of living, unfriendly locals etc, why would they chose Pattaya over nicer places in Thailand, and the region?  The next generation of retiree is now recognizing this, hence a property glut.

The Chinese and Indians will not fill the western retired expat void as they have no aspirations of retiring here, so you can expect more and more worthless condo's coming onto the market each month, and if you think you can pick up a cheap one at a fire sale to rent to foreign tourists, or expats, or Thai's, think again. 

Western tourists were drying up here pre virus.  Western expats were leaving, post visa law changes.  Thai's were losing employment and leaving, due to the previous mentioned. 

Man up nothing wrong with an honest monger or more posh 'sexpat'. Pattaya was built on pussy.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, how241 said:

Exactly, you only ever speak about Nirun.  Try looking at the Pattaya property market, as a whole.  Nothing was moving, pre virus. 

How many Chinese buyer do you think there would be if they started to enforce daily rental?  How many "investors" would be left with empty condo's if they did?

6 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Man up nothing wrong with an honest monger or more posh 'sexpat'. Pattaya was built on pussy.  

Read again, I freely admitted it, but seriously, other than a good "party" Pattaya is not a nice place, and hasn't got a lot going for it, particularly with a useless beach and filthy ocean water. 

I have decided its now a good time to buy a condo......I got 5,000 baht burning a hole in my pocket.........I am going to be making a offer of 5,000 baht on a asking price of 2 million baht....Take it or leave it ,I know this may sound a little low but in this market you never know.....Hell my offer maybe the best offer they get this week.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Exactly, you only ever speak about Nirun.  Try looking at the Pattaya property market, as a whole.  Nothing was moving, pre virus. 

This is why I always invested in the bottom priced condos.  There is really nothing cheaper than Nirun.  No competition at my selling price. 

• Like 1

A more than excellent time to "buy"  or even given it Id say.    Be sure to take locksmith tho,knocking on sellers door ,maybe no response.  Locksmith comes in handy,opens the door ......owners lies dead other side

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I have decided its now a good time to buy a condo......I got 5,000 baht burning a hole in my pocket.........I am going to be making a offer of 5,000 baht on a asking price of 2 million baht....Take it or leave it ,I know this may sound a little low but in this market you never know.....Hell my offer maybe the best offer they get this week.....

Try for 50 : 50- 2.5 k down and 5 monthly payments of 500 !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, how241 said:

This is why I always invested in the bottom priced condos.  There is really nothing cheaper than Nirun.  No competition at my selling price. 

There are similar priced condos available, so yes there is competition, just do a search on Hipflat

1 hour ago, how241 said:

What about 9 karat, complete ghetto, more than half the units are vacant, one elevator working, can't even begin to rent a unit in that gulag!

on another note, a Canadian I know bought a place in jomtien, he has for the last year tried to give it away, no takers, this was pre virus.

now, good luck, he says it's by far the most stupid thing he ever done, buy a condo in thailands for the sake of banging hookers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I would also ask the seller to pay 6 months maintenance fees.

Good luck on your search.

41 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

What about 9 karat, complete ghetto, more than half the units are vacant, one elevator working, can't even begin to rent a unit in that gulag!

Actually, the pool there is quite nice. ????

Otherwise, it is pretty bad could not even give them away at auction a few years ago.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There are similar priced condos available, so yes there is competition, just do a search on Hipflat

I doubt that they have 2 nice big swimming pools and a VERY centralized location.  Post a few examples if you want. 

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

on another note, a Canadian I know bought a place in jomtien, he has for the last year tried to give it away, no takers, this was pre virus.

now, good luck, he says it's by far the most stupid thing he ever done, buy a condo in thailands for the sake of banging hookers!

9 karat has had big management issues and money problems. 

15 minutes ago, how241 said:

I doubt that they have 2 nice big swimming pools and a VERY centralized location.  Post a few examples if you want. 

not everyone wants or uses a swimming pool, people can search for locations they're interested in.

Anyone buying now must be crazy though, there's a killer virus out there and the future is uncertain