Is this a good time to buy a Condo?

bkk6060

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Have you seen how many properties are on the market here?  There are thousands, not just "always people selling."

Wouldm't part of due diligence be to investigate, why so many are for sale, and why time on market is so long? 

Wrong ....Two sides to this story.  This is the reason it is now a 'buyers' market.  Would you rather be looking to buy in a 'sellers' market where properties are quickly sold,  sometime for MORE than the original asking price.  We all get your opinion, Don't buy in Thailand ever.  You also probably don't feel it is safe to keep money in Thai banks.  You entitled to your opinion, but give it a rest.

• Like 2

Just some info.

The most expensive condo on the market in Central Pattaya is the Penthouse at Northshore.

200,000,000 b.  That is 200 million b.  Almost 1000 sq mtrs.  You can see it online.

Interesting the most expensive average for all units for sale in one property is at The Edge.

Mostly average 200,000 b per sq mtr.  Some higher some lower. Several 30 sq. mtr. for around 6 million b.

Good luck to the people that buy on the south side of The Edge when they realize the noise from traffic on 2nd road, Soi Diana, and the restaurants and bars there. Surprise surprise.

Just some info.

The most expensive condo on the market in Central Pattaya is the Penthouse at Northshore.

200,000,000 b.  That is 200 million b.  Almost 1000 sq mtrs.  You can see it online.

Interesting the most expensive average for all units for sale in one property is at The Edge.

Mostly average 200,000 b per sq mtr.  Some higher some lower. Several 30 sq. mtr. for around 6 million b.

Good luck to the people that buy on the south side of The Edge when they realize the noise from traffic on 2nd road, Soi Diana, and the restaurants and bars there. Surprise surprise.

59 minutes ago, how241 said:

Wrong ....Two sides to this story.  This is the reason it is now a 'buyers' market.  Would you rather be looking to buy in a 'sellers' market where properties are quickly sold,  sometime for MORE than the original asking price.  We all get your opinion, Don't buy in Thailand ever.  You also probably don't feel it is safe to keep money in Thai banks.  You entitled to your opinion, but give it a rest.

You misjudge me.

I accept each to their own.

You proclaim the benefits of buying in a buyers market, but when I ask you to explain why you think a buyers market has come about, you then personally attack me.  You say. "it is now a buyers market" but you refuse to say why you think this is the case, and just say, "for a thousand reasons."  I would suggest, the reasons are a lot less than a thousand, and very poignant.

You are correct, it is a buyers market, but I suggest buyers should look closely at why it's a buyers market, not just look at cheap prices, as you suggest for being the main reason to buy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Just some info.

Yes.  Still not impressed with Edge (apparently it is just Edge Central Pattaya and not The Edge) and would never buy at that price point.  Looks like a 27 sqm studio on the 10th floor at Edge--likely with little or no seaview--is around 169,000 baht a sqm on Hipflat.  No way will I ever pay 4.5MB for 27 sqm anywhere in Pattaya with little or no seaview. Or even with seaview.  Or 6.7MB for a slightly larger 30 sqm unit on a higher floor. That same 6.7MB would buy me a 2 bedroom/2 bath 68 sqm seaview unit on floor 30 at Centric Sea.  Over double the size for the same price.

If you're not getting a seaview at Edge, seems like a smarter buy would be nearby low-rise Grand Avenue, also new, at around 74,000 a sqm.  Or, even The Base, next door--you can get a true 1 bedroom, not studio, at The Base for around 100,000 a sqm.  As an aside, I doubt few are buying at Edge to actually live there so they probably have few noise concerns.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, newnative said:

As an aside, I doubt few are buying at Edge to actually live there so they probably have few noise concerns.  

They are buying to let then and Airbnb? Then anyone actually wanting to live there will be deterred?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They are buying to let then and Airbnb? Then anyone actually wanting to live there will be deterred?

I agree.

When they first opened for sales I am aware that the top several floors of The Edge were bought up by Chinese investors.

But, at the price they paid seems they will need to be asking fairly hefty daily rents.  I have seen places at The Base for less then 1000 b a night.  The Edge has to be much higher then that.

It is however going to be pretty high end for Sansiri, several steps up from The Base.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

I think it was a bargain years ago when prices were what I consider realistic and  you were bringing money in from overseas at a very favourable exchange rate compared to the level of the last few years. I have no regrets buying and have had 80% of my purchase price back in rent when I wasn't living here and rental prices were double what they are now. 

If I was making the choice in the current market now I wouldn't buy, it's just not great value for money these days. 

• Like 1

My wife was in the trade for years and i went with her and looked at hundreds of condos,to be honest ,i cannot understand why people pay a fortune for a sea view ,nothing to see except water,lol anyway the older condoes are far better built ,larger and cheaper ,wouldnt buy one of the cardboard boxes like the base if they were half the price .

ps Much better to have a nice house with 2 floors a big garden and parking ,oh and a master bedroom large as a base condo . sorry rant over .

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife was in the trade for years and i went with her and looked at hundreds of condos,to be honest ,i cannot understand why people pay a fortune for a sea view ,nothing to see except water,lol anyway the older condoes are far better built ,larger and cheaper ,wouldnt buy one of the cardboard boxes like the base if they were half the price .

ps Much better to have a nice house with 2 floors a big garden and parking ,oh and a master bedroom large as a base condo . sorry rant over .

I do not totally disagree.

But, where I come from anything with an ocean view will be a minimum of one million US. It is something many desire, but is unattainable.

So, getting it here for around 50,000 dollars can be pretty tempting for some.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 11:03 AM, Leaver said:

Have you seen how many properties are on the market here?  There are thousands, not just "always people selling."

Wouldm't part of due diligence be to investigate, why so many are for sale, and why time on market is so long? 

This "due diligence" is a real cracker.  Head to head with "due diligence"buyer a while ago,got a suspension out of it,but but but  'due diligence' buyer bought in Chiang Mai,cancer capital of entire world

The place is a flop house anyway,prices falling faster than the whores pants, I was with last night

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Sea views are totally over rated, some people think its the must have thing, a sign of successful retirement, maybe something to impress people...i see far better views everyday 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, Leaver said:

You proclaim the benefits of buying in a buyers market, but when I ask you to explain why you think a buyers market has come about, you then personally attack me.  You say. "it is now a buyers market" but you refuse to say why you think this is the case, and just say, "for a thousand reasons." 

There are too many reasons to bother to list  BUT generally there are more sellers than buyers.  Buyers have many to choice from and there is always someone who is desperate to sell and will take a low price. I never meant to attack you personally. 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sea views are totally over rated, some people think its the must have thing, a sign of successful retirement, maybe something to impress people...i see far better views everyday 

They're not over-rated when it comes to selling your condo...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, izod10 said:

This "due diligence" is a real cracker.  Head to head with "due diligence"buyer a while ago,got a suspension out of it,but but but  'due diligence' buyer bought in Chiang Mai,cancer capital of entire world

The place is a flop house anyway,prices falling faster than the whores pants, I was with last night

Some seem to think western style due dilligence will suffice in Thailand.  It doesn't.  A lot more issues need to be taken into account when buying property in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, how241 said:

There are too many reasons to bother to list  BUT generally there are more sellers than buyers.  Buyers have many to choice from and there is always someone who is desperate to sell and will take a low price. I never meant to attack you personally. 

Ok.  Give me your top 5 reasons. 

If there are more sellers than buyers, wouldn't that indicate a problem with the area, or the local economy? 

Basically, why do more people want out than people wanting in?

On 3/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, ivor bigun said:

i cannot understand why people pay a fortune for a sea view ,nothing to see except water,lol

'Cause they like viewing water over the alternatives? But part of your problem, as with so many of our members, is that you're half blind. Can't even see as far as Koh Larn. Me, I love seeing those islands in the distance, too. Lights on at night . . . . The views around Pattaya Bay are also quite nice.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, ivor bigun said:

Much better to have a nice house with 2 floors a big garden and parking ,oh and a master bedroom large as a base condo .

So get a condo with 2 floors and a master bedroom large as a Base condo. I hate taking care of any garden, so boring, but you could have one on your spacious balcony. Sorted! Next.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 2:39 AM, ivor bigun said:

Much better to have a nice house with 2 floors a big garden and parking ,oh and a master bedroom large as a base condo . sorry rant over .

Like many, I imagine, I've had that for many years but would now love to get rid of several rooms and my garden, that I've realised are just surplus to requirements nowadays.  Places to fill with junk or leave to get dusty or unsightly.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Did you guys grow up in big or small houses?

Small mostly. But I think my aversion to a box in the sky is for 2 main reasons... I don't like being up high and looking over a balcony up there gives me the creeps. Secondly, worked as a bit of a road warrior meaning extended spells in hotel rooms, put me off them.

Living in a small studio condo, well let us face facts, it is a bedsit and harping back to student days. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I agree about sea views. People seem to pay over the odds for them but basically it's just a thin strip of blue/green in the distance. Pretty boring. Sure it's nice to be close to the beach but you don't need the view.