Eating in the fifties

JWRC

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thick chunk of bread soaking in dripping..... Aloy mak.

Bit of cow heel and thick seem tripe, nothing better.

Bring back the old days i say.????????????

My Dad was fond of spreading dripping on bread and smothering it with salt.

Whilst I used to gag when my Mum would cook pigs trotters and sit there slobbering over the jelly (or whatever it was), eating the awful stuff from a bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Schmaltz on rye. Then you got to eat the cracklins (Grieben). With onion. Hell put that on bread too.

Edited by Nyezhov

On 3/1/2020 at 1:02 PM, JWRC said:

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Not true. In the 50's, my mother used to strain milk through a cheesecloth to make it. What the actual process was, I cannot remember - being a ten-year old - only that a sack was constantly hanging above the stove. In those days, whole milk was pure and not contaminated by antibiotics, hormones or pesticide residues. And even bone broth was healthy, unlike today.

By the late 60's, many foods/drink that were healthy were becoming processed junk food.  I can remember the first vegetarian restaurant  - Cranks - opened in Carnaby street in 1961. The egg salad burgers were great. 

On 3/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, 4MyEgo said:

in 2020 with 4 kids, on our table we don't have iPads, tables or cell phones, any back talk and it's a week without, just the other day one of the 15 year old boys said to their mum, why can we only have our mobiles between 7.30pm and 9pm on weeknights and 10am-11am and 7.30pm-10.00pm weekends when our friends have them 24/7, my wife replied with, because your papa is a generous man, would you like me to ask him, no, no, no, was his reply ????

We allow the boys 15 to watch Netflix till midnight weekends, albeit they went to 1.30am this morning when asked, no lies, no punishment.

No elbows and no hats/hoodies, the hoodies I took to with the scissors, so no more hoodies period. Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, and I have to say, the challengers are quite educational for them, as we have an answer for everything...lol ????

Sounds like you are power tripping rather than acting as disciplianrian in their best interests.

The mobile thing makes sense, boundaries are required.

I could not live in an environment where my child wont talk to me or around me, let alone revel in their discomfort around me.

As for the hoodie thing, it is just insane. Buy hoodies or dont, but they are a clothing staple the world over, hoods can be worn up or down and they are remakably comoftable garments.

Your username has never made sense to me, but in light of this revelation it certainly checks out. 

I hope you dont find there comes a time when the silence isnt just at the dinner table, that you dont find your children just avoid you at all costs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Whilst I used to gag when my Mum would cook pigs trotters and sit there slobbering over the jelly (or whatever it was), eating the awful stuff from a bowl.

Ah...dripping.

My mum used to call it Dutch butter-god we were gullible.

Dumplings and golden syrup (treacle)...very nice.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is avoidable that by normal parenting.

"Normal parenting" yes......we are all waiting, Mr Normal parent, please do tell us your secret, i.e. unless your full of hot

Image result for cartoon gif passing wind

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, androokery said:

I'm guessing you're looking for validation for your actions and decisions. You won't get it here. If respect has to be taught it is not earned. If I behaved like you I wouldn't be surprised if my kids installed a dancefloor over my grave.

Validation for my actions and decisions here on TVF where it's half full with keyboard warriors such as yourself, oh please, behave how you will with your kids as you do, but don't think our kids will be installing a dancefloor on my grave, you can't see what goes in my house and have no idea how we raise and praise our kinds, read a few lines and think you know everything.

My father was 10 times the man I am, belted the <deleted> out of me and taught me about respect, learning respect starts inside the house, earning respect from others outside of the house it is the next stage, i.e. if they aren't taught respect, how on earth would they know what it is, sort of learning how to walk before you can run, too bad your parents didn't teach you to hold your tongue before you think.

Image result for gif of someone thinking

18 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Sounds like you are power tripping rather than acting as disciplianrian in their best interests.

The mobile thing makes sense, boundaries are required.

I could not live in an environment where my child wont talk to me or around me, let alone revel in their discomfort around me.

As for the hoodie thing, it is just insane. Buy hoodies or dont, but they are a clothing staple the world over, hoods can be worn up or down and they are remakably comoftable garments.

Your username has never made sense to me, but in light of this revelation it certainly checks out. 

I hope you dont find there comes a time when the silence isnt just at the dinner table, that you dont find your children just avoid you at all costs.

Another keyboard warrior who knows Jack S...

Even has to try and stoop low to have a go at my username....which is like says a lot about you.

I am not going to even respond to you about how we raise our kids, you just wouldn't get it, you presume you know what goes on in this household, and that is your downfall, for someone who presumes he knows everything about everything and has nothing better to do but to try and put someone down for their own "ego", you must have had a shallow upbringing, too bad, don't try and take it out on others because most of your comments on this forum are c-r-a-p

On 3/1/2020 at 4:14 PM, malarkyman said:

I can totaly agree with all of this, my little daughter is totay being ruined by old school thais .... as if they even had any eduction at all back then in there day and i am OLDER than any off em !!

Education in there day. 

Lol.

8 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

I was nowhere to be found in the 50s.

Nor most of the 60s, barring a couple yesrs I was too young to recall.

Another worthless comment, and your point is ?

Your young, dumb and broke ?

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Another keyboard warrior who knows Jack S...

Even has to try and stoop low to have a go at my username....which is like says a lot about you.

I am not going to even respond to you about how we raise our kids, you just wouldn't get it, you presume you know what goes on in this household, and that is your downfall, for someone who presumes he knows everything about everything and has nothing better to do but to try and put someone down for their own "ego", you must have had a shallow upbringing, too bad, don't try and take it out on others because most of your comments on this forum are c-r-a-p

Well, it seems I have struck a nerve. 

Of course I am presuming, but my presumption is based on how you decided to preesnt yourself here.

It seems you wanted to explain to us what utter control you have over your brood so badly you were even willing to go completely off topic. 

Im sorry I did not respond with resounding applause to your proud declaration of your authority, papa.

I suspect my shallow upbringing by a distant authoritarian father was not up to snuff, he drew the line at the beatings you so fondly remember.

As for your more personal attacks on my posts, thank you for reading.

Edited by metempsychotic

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Validation for my actions and decisions here on TVF where it's half full with keyboard warriors such as yourself, oh please, behave how you will with your kids as you do, but don't think our kids will be installing a dancefloor on my grave, you can't see what goes in my house and have no idea how we raise and praise our kinds, read a few lines and think you know everything.

My father was 10 times the man I am, belted the <deleted> out of me and taught me about respect, learning respect starts inside the house, earning respect from others outside of the house it is the next stage, i.e. if they aren't taught respect, how on earth would they know what it is, sort of learning how to walk before you can run, too bad your parents didn't teach you to hold your tongue before you think.

Let's all remember the "good old times" when grown men beat up on kids without repercussions...
The fact that your kids are questioning your rules around mobile phones is a sure sign that they are comparing your household to those of their peers. I don't think you will benefit from that comparison. 
You were obviously not taught respect since you don't seem to show any towards your kids. Heads-up: they're not really your kids. They might be your responsibility right now, but they're individuals in their own right. You don't own them. 
I'm sorry you see me as a keyboard warrior, but I get really triggered by people bragging about beating up on kids. 

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah...dripping.

My mum used to call it Dutch butter-god we were gullible.

Dumplings and golden syrup (treacle)...very nice.

My favourite pudding was my mum's rice pudding with loads of golden syrup- yum.

My dad got quite agro about butter. Apparently he never got to eat any as a boy.

Does anyone remember what those fizzy sweets that were dispensed from a plastic tube were?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can teach kids respect without hitting them if you are a powerful person both mental and physical. A father who needs a belt to punish his kids is a coward. 

• Like 1

Would you ever respect a person who beat the ---- out of you ?

Makes no sense to me.

When my father wanted me to feel bad, he just had to look at me. Never laid a hand on me. That taught me about respect. And listening to him and my uncles.

Can't say the same about my mother tho' - she used a 16 inch piece of green garden hose to beat us kids.

When I turned - oh, 12 or 13 - she hit me with it. I ripped it out of her hand and told her if she ever hit me with it again, I would hit her back with it.

Was the last time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, androokery said:

Let's all remember the "good old times" when grown men beat up on kids without repercussions...
The fact that your kids are questioning your rules around mobile phones is a sure sign that they are comparing your household to those of their peers. I don't think you will benefit from that comparison. 
You were obviously not taught respect since you don't seem to show any towards your kids. Heads-up: they're not really your kids. They might be your responsibility right now, but they're individuals in their own right. You don't own them. 
I'm sorry you see me as a keyboard warrior, but I get really triggered by people bragging about beating up on kids. 

Who is bragging and beating up on kids ?

Tomorrow when they go to work, will they be able to use their mobiles at work, I think not !

Next time your out and about and see kids with their parents, have a look at what they are doing, playing with their mobiles ?

Next time your out and about in a restaurant, have a look if the kids are into the conversation with their parents or playing with their mobiles.

Next time your on public transport, have a look at the zombies of the mobile world, even in cars texting, etc, etc.

If your happy to raise your kids in that way, then good for you, our have their study times and chore times, followed by their mobile times, be it between 7.30pm to 9pm weeknights, and as said an hour in the morning and two in the evening, at least we know where out kids are and what they are doing, it's called responsible parenting.

What benefit could they possibly obtain from being a mobile zombie, does it teach them to add, to spell, to right, and does it prepare them for the real world where they won't be able to use it at work, or would you call their employer someone who beats up on their employees ?

As for talking at the dinner table, dinner time is for eating and when they are old enough to talk, one at a time, then their tongues will be untied, because at the current mum and dad need peace and quiet at the table to be able to have a conversation and enjoy their company while 4 puppies learn to eat, or would prefer they eat at fast food places and come home when the sun has gone to bed, and teach them zero responsibilities, hmmm, maybe you wash your clothes for them and iron them, maybe you also wash and dry the dishes for them, maybe you clean up their rooms for them, yep that is going to prepare them for life.

As for respect, well apparently everybody sees it differently, suffice to say I get triggered when others think they know how to raise my kids better than me and their mum, because we do not allow them to run a muck as other irresponsible parents allow to run, just have a good look around you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can teach kids respect without hitting them if you are a powerful person both mental and physical. A father who needs a belt to punish his kids is a coward. 

I agree and have never raised a hand on my kids, as I said in an earlier post, the belt hits the concrete floor and the girls run, then run back and turn around and say again, again, as if they think it's a game, I let off steam at the same time, for them it's a bit like not knowing that the dog isn't going to bit you.

As for their mum, well, she will take to the boys like she is in a boxing ring, if they deserve it and did something really stupid, like ride on the back of motorbikes speeding when they know they are not to go on the back of motorbikes and skip school (years ago), they sure found out that breaking rules and being caught meant that your destiny was in the ring with your mum ????

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Who is bragging and beating up on kids ?

Tomorrow when they go to work, will they be able to use their mobiles at work, I think not !

Next time your out and about and see kids with their parents, have a look at what they are doing, playing with their mobiles ?

Next time your out and about in a restaurant, have a look if the kids are into the conversation with their parents or playing with their mobiles.

Next time your on public transport, have a look at the zombies of the mobile world, even in cars texting, etc, etc.

If your happy to raise your kids in that way, then good for you, our have their study times and chore times, followed by their mobile times, be it between 7.30pm to 9pm weeknights, and as said an hour in the morning and two in the evening, at least we know where out kids are and what they are doing, it's called responsible parenting.

What benefit could they possibly obtain from being a mobile zombie, does it teach them to add, to spell, to right, and does it prepare them for the real world where they won't be able to use it at work, or would you call their employer someone who beats up on their employees ?

As for talking at the dinner table, dinner time is for eating and when they are old enough to talk, one at a time, then their tongues will be untied, because at the current mum and dad need peace and quiet at the table to be able to have a conversation and enjoy their company while 4 puppies learn to eat, or would prefer they eat at fast food places and come home when the sun has gone to bed, and teach them zero responsibilities, hmmm, maybe you wash your clothes for them and iron them, maybe you also wash and dry the dishes for them, maybe you clean up their rooms for them, yep that is going to prepare them for life.

As for respect, well apparently everybody sees it differently, suffice to say I get triggered when others think they know how to raise my kids better than me and their mum, because we do not allow them to run a muck as other irresponsible parents allow to run, just have a good look around you. 

Such megalomania.

So a 15 year old is a puppy and too young to speak at table.

Different strokes i suppose, my child has no idea how lucky she got. 

Our dinner conversations are the highlight of my day. Actually all our conversations are the highlight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Such megalomania.

So a 15 year old is a puppy and too young to speak at table.

Different strokes i suppose, my child has no idea how lucky she got. 

Our dinner conversations are the highlight of my day. Actually all our conversations are the highlight.

I bet they are...................????.................????