Eating in the fifties

JWRC

At primary school we had milk everyday that had been left at the school gate in the hot sun, its a wonder I still love milk

At high school, we had a tuck shop that sold all the bad stuff you could afford, I worked with my father to earn as much as possible so I could blow it on sweets.

We also I cant remember what form worked stocking the tuck shop with drinks, got us out of something or other or I wouldnt have done it.

As far as tellys were concerned the first we saw of them was up at a set of shops near us they used to leave one on at night and people would gather and watch it through the window.

We were the first in the street to have our own as my father got one that feel off the back of a truck, he was good at that.

On 3/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, vogie said:

Some food was still on ration in the 1950s.????

I wish school diners were rationed . The only good school diner was sausage pie and beans on a Friday , oh and curry on a Tuesday. Teacher would come in from the kitchen and say ' Seconds of stew available '..............no phriken thanks.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:43 PM, faraday said:

Spangles - old English flavour.

Corona - Cherryade.

Before Corona ( not the virus ) we had Neptune , came round on a truck in wooden boxes.  2 bottles for me and 2 for my bruvver.  I really like Dandelion and Burdock. Can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I do remember D & B from 60 years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

I wish school diners were rationed . The only good school diner was sausage pie and beans on a Friday , oh and curry on a Tuesday. Teacher would come in from the kitchen and say ' Seconds of stew available '..............no phriken thanks.

I never had a school dinner as long as I went to school, I had to walk home for dinner every day, my mother never had any dinner money to give me but could always find enough to go to the pub/club.????

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

27 eh ..........

If she comes to Chiang Mai, I'll take her hiking (I know all the trails), but I can't guarantee you won't be a grandfather.

Shes like her daddy, a promiscous little flapjack, but she doesnt go for old guys. Shes good friends with my xgf (who is 25) and they still argue over ewwwwww, you sleep with my old disgusting dad, gross. I dont want to know what else they talk about, ewww.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, Paul Catton said:

I still try to grow our own fruit and veggies in suburban Auckland.

Can have either Mandarin or Navel Orange in my pillowcase at Xmas. 

20200303_094520.jpg

20200303_094709.jpg

20200303_094735.jpg

Do what you like but if those are railroad ties usually people don't grow things they eat using them. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:56 AM, seancbk said:

Not really.  He thought cubed sugar was posh.  

Cubed sugar was so plentiful where I was raised that they even put it in the urinals, actually blocks of it as opposed to little cubes.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

Cubed sugar was so plentiful where I was raised that they even put it in the urinals, actually blocks of it as opposed to little cubes.

Always found they made my cuppa taste a bit salty.

Dunno why....????

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, neeray said:

Fox’s Glacier Mints.  Eat them out of the bag, not the bowl.