When Will Ads Completely Obscure Our Screens?

Just Weird

So are you going to just complain or fix it? Don't get me wrong, all for letting TV know what a cluster <deleted> it is but people, IMO, should also take control of what they can and move on with their lives. Much more realistic things to stress over than this non issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

So are you going to just complain or fix it? Don't get me wrong, all for letting TV know what a cluster <deleted> it is but people, IMO, should also take control of what they can and move on with their lives. Much more realistic things to stress over than this non issue.

849ECD49-469B-4F71-AD71-1DA838ACE31E.png

Not an insurmountable problem, nor have I seen anyone mention it for a year or two.

As I alluded to, if I was seeing what you and others appear to be I'd be <deleted> off too. I'm certainly not trying to downplay the issue. Just somewhat confused why so many threads recently rather than people dealing with it. We've even got a mod sticking his neck out dropping less than subtle hints against policy.

Edited by Salerno
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Not an insurmountable problem, nor have I seen anyone mention it for a year or two.

As I alluded to, if I was seeing what you and others appear to be I'd be <deleted> off too. I'm certainly not trying to downplay the issue. Just somewhat confused why so many threads recently rather than people dealing with it.

There are so many threads recently because only recently it has become so obtrusive.  I’m not against advertising and have actually clicked on ads that I feel might be useful to me.  I have even clicked on some of those “special interest” items.  I understand that Thaivisa needs sponsors in order to provide the service and don’t wish to use Adblock 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Salerno said:

@Airalee kudos to you for your last post (sincerely, not taking the <deleted>), and I hope you weren't taking my posts personally, just genuinely puzzled at the amount of threads.

I don’t take anything personally.  But when I have to constantly adjust the orientation of my iPad from vertical to landscape and back in order to read and reply (I’m doing it right now)...it just gets ridiculous.  I have already emailed acclime about it.

• Like 1

I have never seen an advert on my screen when using ThaiVisa. If I did I'd find it extremely annoying.

I don't have any special ad blocking software. I access TV from three devices: a PC and two laptops. Never via a telephone. I use Win 7 and Firefox on all devices.

My guess is that you guys are experiencing these problems because you are using a 'smartphone' that allows you no privacy and/or Win 10 which is similarly corrupted.

I NEVER bother to view Thaivisa on a mobile device, because it's a complete waste of time - I can't view the postings.  I only access from my laptop.  Since I spend a lot of my time lying drunk in bars and clicking on DISCRETE 'buy me you drunken idiot' adverts on other websites, I'd say that the 'in your face' ads on TV's mobile site are losing them money... ????

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

I've probably got the same advertisement/video windows opening as everyone else.  The thing that drives me a little crazy, are the thread topics on the right, constantly bouncing up and down because of add placement change on the top of the thread list.  Trying to read what threads are available, and they're bouncing up, down, out of view.....sheesh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Charlie say the moderator are volunteer= not get paid. 

1)TVF get the news free from other place, free.

2) And topics free from member. Eg Thai music we love. Very popular.

3) The moderators is free. (Surprise about that)

4) And ad is online = do nothing. But get money.

5) Is about thailand, but 0 thai staff. Free.

= a very good business. Good idea! Clever. Easy money. Everybody, member and mod do the work. 

Smart boss get all the money!! 55555

Very true .. its a 'free world'.. if we do not like it ... we can just leave or put up with it ....  

However the point might be that the 'smart boss' could have made more money (maybe) if it was better designed so that it would handle adds better .. Then get more people watching .. and total volume go up ... Hence making even more money ....

Or maybe one day a good alternative will surface and people leave ....

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I don’t take anything personally.  But when I have to constantly adjust the orientation of my iPad from vertical to landscape and back in order to read and reply (I’m doing it right now)...it just gets ridiculous.  I have already emailed acclime about it.

Think of it as a change from moving your hand in the vertical plane ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're quite right, we could be customers of the advertisers but we sure aren't Thaivisa's "customers" (in the accepted sense of the word) unless we click on an ad and put money into the forum's pockets. 

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

How much do you pay for the service? 

Members may not be the targetted customers, but they are the ones creating the content which is used to attract advertisers to the site and, ultimately, generate income. Ergo, members are the No-1 asset to any online forum, without which there is no content. Thus, it is not free. Net-conomics 101. People forget this and sell themselves short. If you, therefore, don't like what you're seeing, indeed put in suggestions/complain away.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Ergo, members are the No-1 asset to any online forum, without which there is no content. Thus, it is not free.

What?  Please explain how Thaivisa membership is not free of cost.  Regardless of "ergo" and "thus", what you posted there does not make sense.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

The experience is still acceptable on a 24" monitor, with a strip of adds down the the side which don't interfere with thread reading.

TV Ads.jpg

I know that.  Those are the ads I mentioned in the OP that are not an issue because they can just be ignored and are not the pop-up ads that are being discussed in this thread. 

We are talking about the pop-up ads that cover almost a quarter of the page at the very bottom right of the forum page (the part that your screenshot does not include) and the entire width of the base of the page.   These have to be deleted to get them out of the way, for instance, to type a comment.

The latest nonsense, starting this evening: it appears that the small centered previously static ads between user responses have been replaced by dynamic ads with the Google "O X" in teir upper right corner, and you interact with Google if you click on the "X". But these ads are dynamic, they change suddenly, for no apparent reason, probably on an internal timer. And when they do, another window on the desktop gets the focus. If you alt-tab to return to the previous window, it shows the one that was two positions back. So you have to alt-tab twice to get back to the frame you were reading. And then almost before you can let go of the alt-tab key combo, it swaps frames again. I don't believe that this is a Google problem, if their software was this bad with all the ads they serve up world-wide, they would be long ago out of business. It appears that recent bad modifications to TVF have trashed it up, to the point of it becoming totally unusable. I don't particularly mind ads (that don't shove themselves in your face), and have resisted installing something like AdBlock because now and then I see a new, interesting thing that I wouldn't have learned about by chucking everything from every site.

Oh, and I was counting: just while typing this response, the frame was grabbed away from me and I had to do the alt-tab, release, alt-tab, alt-tab, release voodoo 41 times. That is obscenely stupid.

• Like 1

Ad revenues have been in decline over the past years, specially via for example Google Adsense. 
Previously a small website could easily earn me 200-300 dollars a month via ads while that would be like 40-70 dollars today.

Secondly people are often returning visitors, perhaps almost never clicking any ads anymore, lowering the pay rates even more.
More people using ad blocker also causes to get less views and clicks of course.

So then the only option left is to place as many ads as possible and get paid per mille (1000 views), to milk some ad revenue.

Otherwise it should be done by working with businesses directly and doing affiliate marketing (which is perhaps also already done). 

Anyway: Relatively easy to install a ad blocker if you want to, works on most sites unless they do something about it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH