Abortion rights face stern new test at conservative U.S. Supreme Court

webfact

4 hours ago, Tug said:

This issue will imo lose the election for trump don’t think the lady’s want to return to the Middle Ages big bo bo on trumps part

I don't think you understand the way these things work in the USA. Yes, anywhere else you would probably be right. Even Ireland that used to have the most stringent pro-life laws (it was even in the constitution!) now allow abortion under strict rules.

Trump is not playing to the American people. Instead, he just plays to his base plus a few. His base make up about 40% of the adult population. They are mainly in the "fly-over" states. They are not the best educated and very nationalistic. Many of the younger ones fought in recent wars. They are not fans of the federal government, tend to believe in such notions as "the swamp" and "deepstate. They are totally against abortion. Trump's rhetoric feeds these notions.

Due to the way votes are counted and other features of the electorial landscape, all you need is a substantial number of the electorate, but not even 50%, if you are Republican. In fact, you don't even need a majority of votes - the last time Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million!

So Trump knows to feed the base and everyone else can just go hang.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Let's cut to the chase...abortion is being allowed to kill one's own off-spring.

Let's give "women-the-right" to kill their children at any age...what difference does it make if one's child is 1 minute old, 1 day or one year?

Even most animals protect their young at all cost...

Worst decision in American history was legalizing abortion...crushing the skulls of live babies...marketing baby parts like so many animal parts.

Women have the right to not get pregnant...not kill their own children...

“Cut to the chase”? OK, deal with the reality of rape, incest, birth defects, threat to the Mother’s life ... 

Bottom line for me? Should I and my significant other be faced with this decision, I would not recognize any law, regulation, disapproval by the right wing demanding that we carry to term, deliver, care for and bear the emotional/financial burden of raising a genetically damaged being. Fortunately, I would have the financial resources to seek medical care in an enlightened country. Foolish to follow an absolute stance, based on personal religious beliefs (and trying to force those beliefs on others), and yet refuse to have social systems in place to care (emotionally and financially) for those who choose not to abort.

24 minutes ago, Tug said:

Nop dident say or imply that is an assumption on your part

Cool. That means you oppose abortions AFTER the foetus is viable to live outside the womb, except in cases where the life of the mother is endangered.

I think that all life affirming folks agree on that. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

So Trump knows to feed the base and everyone else can just go hang.

Like the Democrats do?

7 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

They are not the best educated and very nationalistic.

I have a BA and a JD. So Im an anomoly?

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I believe the blame lies on the irresponsible ...

I believe the blame is on the women who choose to kill their unborn babies.

But of course in the modern world, everything is someone else's fault, and no woman (no matter how strong or independent) is ever responsible for any choices she makes (no matter how foolish, irresponsible or downright wrong).

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

But of course in the modern world, everything is someone else's fault, and no woman (no matter how strong or independent) is ever responsible for any choices she makes (no matter how foolish, irresponsible or downright wrong).

You do realize you are arguing against women being able to make their own choices?

• Like 2

And what about if the baby is born and the mother has no money and no support? And no heath insurance because she can't afford it. And if the child survives the first years then it goes to one of those underfunded schools. And maybe the child will grow into a criminal. And then at some stage people like you say that criminal should be executed because of this and that crime. Do you think maybe it would have been better if that baby was never born? Because lots of the problems are foreseeable and happen again and again - especially in the land of the free and the religious nuts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure some Trump supporter posted it somewhere on facebook. And then millions of others reposted it. After that they just know it's true. MAGA and all that.

If you type abortions in the USA the CDC counts 20%, which I'm happy to go along with.

It's still a frighteningly large amount, especially if you consider how many women are using contraceptives.

If you type abortions in the USA the CDC counts 20%, which I'm happy to go along with.

It's still a frighteningly large amount, especially if you consider how many women are using contraceptives.

I agree it a frighteningly large amount. But I think it's the choice of the mothers. Because they have to take care of those babies once they are borne. And many mothers are not able to care properly for those babies. So it's better for everybody if those mothers don't have unwanted babies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And what about if the baby is born and the mother has no money and no support? And no heath insurance because she can't afford it. And if the child survives the first years then it goes to one of those underfunded schools. And maybe the child will grow into a criminal. And then at some stage people like you say that criminal should be executed because of this and that crime. Do you think maybe it would have been better if that baby was never born?

Are you suggesting single moms should be forced to abort because their kids might be criminals?

About 25% of US children under the age of 18 are now living in single parent households, maybe we should just shoot them if the parents seperate ........

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s keep it simple, we each are allowed dominion over our own bodies and you choose carefully who you want to have children with. 

By that thinking an unborn baby has no dominion over its own body. Does it have to be born to have dominion ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But I think it's the choice of the mothers. Because they have to take care of those babies once they are borne.

Shouldn't we men have the right to look after our babies?

I've got one and mom's gone and I'm OK looking after him.

• Like 2

Are you suggesting single moms should be forced to abort because their kids might be criminals?

About 25% of US children under the age of 18 are now living in single parent households, maybe we should just shoot them if the parents seperate ........

Of course not. And I never wrote anything like that.

Mothers should have the choice. It's their body, it's their life, and they are responsible for taking care of those not yet born children for about two decades. If mothers don't think they are capable of doing that then they should have the choice not to bring another unwanted child into this word.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

But, still chooses to have unprotected sex ? 

Possibly that is what happened. And maybe in the hindsight she knows that was a mistake.

Should her not yet born baby suffer for that mistake?

Or wouldn't it be better for everybody involved if there would be no unwanted baby?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lipoman said:

For those of you who are so adamantly against abortion, please tell us how many orphaned children you have adopted?

I've got one that isn't mine (had her from age 11, and she's 22 now, just left for university), and would have had a second if the Thai VISA situation wasn't so iffy at the moment.

Not adopted though.

Edited by BritManToo

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Of course not. And I never wrote anything like that.

Mothers should have the choice. It's their body, it's their life, and they are responsible for taking care of those not yet born children for about two decades. If mothers don't think they are capable of doing that then they should have the choice not to bring another unwanted child into this word.

I know quite a lot of moms in Thailand that haven't bothered to look after their children beyond the birth.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I know quite a lot of moms in Thailand that haven't bothered to look after their children beyond the birth.

And how many of those children lived happily ever after?

Lots of bad things happen if babies and (especially) young children don't get the love and support they deserve.

• Like 1