Salon owner had her car stolen by customer who took her car for a test drive

webfact

Interesting story, with a nice ending.  Anyone surprised by the action/reaction of what transpired?  I'd on the horn after an hour or 2, wanting my car...not 6 months.   I guess the same happens with land and squatters....what I am thinking.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:
44 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Who lets a complete stranger take their car for a test drive alone !!

In the OP the thief is described as a regular customer of the salon, so, hardly a complete stranger.

Yes, but Uraiwan still let the customer take the car out alone.

I would never do that - from my experience of listening to what people 'say' they will do and what they actually do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, but Uraiwan still let the customer take the car out alone.

I would never do that - from my experience of listening to what people 'say' they will do and what they actually do.

She'll probably never do that mistake again.

20 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

In the OP the thief is described as a regular customer of the salon, so, hardly a complete stranger.

The initial test drive is understandable...

But who lets a customer drive your car away after saying it was perfect and agreeing to buy it?
Cash/payment first with the exchange of paperwork stating new ownership?

37 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The initial test drive is understandable...

But who lets a customer drive your car away after saying it was perfect and agreeing to buy it?
Cash/payment first with the exchange of paperwork stating new ownership?

I didn't say she was smart, i just said that the thief was not a complete stranger to her ????

• Like 1

I sold my bicycle last week to a Thai guy. He turned up in his car, told him he could take the bike for a spin, but needed to hand me his car keys, which he did, should have taken his car, that would have been a good swap.

????

Edited by roo860

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Khon Kaen at the weekend and taken back to Samed police station to face charges after being slapped with a warrant.

S-i-L had her car stolen.  Thief apprehended (by family members) years later & taken to Jomtien station.  Fat cop there would not touch the case unless he was paid 10K.

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

S-i-L had her car stolen.  Thief apprehended (by family members) years later & taken to Jomtien station.  Fat cop there would not touch the case unless he was paid 10K.

Did you take his picture and then go to Soi 9 in Pattaya? 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Did you take his picture and then go to Soi 9 in Pattaya? 

The thief was a woman who had rented & sold three cars.  The dealer got two back.  The family spotted the thief & did a Citizen's arrest calling the police.  I drove the cop/thief & family to Jomtien Cop Shop.  Fat Get wouldn't touch it until he got 10K.  The family hadn't got it; I would not pay so S-i-L paid bank for four years on a car she didn't have.  Thief has never had her day in court.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The thief was a woman who had rented & sold three cars.  The dealer got two back.  The family spotted the thief & did a Citizen's arrest calling the police.  I drove the cop/thief & family to Jomtien Cop Shop.  Fat Get wouldn't touch it until he got 10K.  The family hadn't got it; I would not pay so S-i-L paid bank for four years on a car she didn't have.  Thief has never had her day in court.

Unbelievable, but I have heard this of the Jomtiem box before. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, jacko45k said:

To be honest she wasn't a complete stranger.

She only borrowed it, Thai style.

Thai specialty;
same with my tools or my beautiful ladder;
"we" come to borrow them from me but they don't give them back to me; now everything is locked up and the borrower must give me a pledge in the form of a nice 1000 baht note if he wants to borrow a tool (or the scale) again

• Like 1

Just now, Assurancetourix said:

Thai specialty;
"we" come to borrow them from me but they don't give them back to me; now everything is locked up and the borrower must give me a pledge in the form of a nice 1000 baht note if he wants to borrow a tool (or the scale) again

That does sound like a good solution.

I notice the in-laws when borrowing stuff won't return it until I go round to ask for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thai specialty;

Returning borrowed items.

Putting things back where they found them.

Showing respect for other people's property.

It isn't going to happen!

Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2