Three suspected Covid-19 cases found from screening at six Thai airports

webfact

Three suspected Covid-19 cases found from screening at six Thai airports

National

By THE NATION

800_e3e3ace350eba1c.jpg

Passenger screening at Phuket International Airport

Three out of 105,677 passengers screened while passing through six airports were suspected of having symptoms similar to those of Covid-19 pneumonia, according to Airports of Thailand (AOT), the operator of the airports.

AOT reported the results on Sunday (March 1) of passenger screening for Covid-19 at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Mueang International Airport, Phuket International Airport, Chiang Mai International Airport, Mae Fah Luang-Chiang Rai International Airport and Hat Yai International Airport.

At Don Mueang International Airport, an Indian national, aged 39, who was flying in from Narita Airport in Japan on an AirAsia X flight had 37.7 degrees Celsius temperature but showed no signs of coughing or runny nose. He was ruled as a possible patient by the airport medical team and admitted to Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute.

At Phuket International Airport, a German national who had travelled from Singapore on a SilkAir flight, showed symptoms of coughing, runny nose and had 38.6 degrees Celsius temperature. He was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital as a suspected Covid-19 case.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, a departing passenger, a Japanese national aged 27, showed symptoms of coughing and runny nose with 37.1 degrees Celsius temperature. She was ruled as a possible patient taken to Bangplee Hospital.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383140

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-02

• Sad 1

Yeah that's pretty scary.  Sometimes I get anxious when I fly, I wouldn't be surprised if my temperature bumped up a degree or two.  Sounds like they don't even have the option to return home.  A thai bureaucrat making decisions like this...

• Like 1

Luckily I am sitting in a government office right now.

I took a 40 minute taxi ride in a taxi with broken air condition.

When I passed security my temperature was 37.2 and they didn't want to let me in. When I laughed and told them that the aircon didn't work,  she let me in.

Apparently the man behind me had even higher temperature. He got quite angry and I couldn't catch what he said, but he went in anyway.

Surely a fever is 37.5 or more.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

At Don Mueang International Airport, an Indian national, aged 39, who was flying in from Narita Airport in Japan on an AirAsia X flight had 37.7 degrees Celsius temperature but showed no signs of coughing or runny nose. He was ruled as a possible patient by the airport medical team and admitted to Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute.

At Phuket International Airport, a German national who had travelled from Singapore on a SilkAir flight, showed symptoms of coughing, runny nose and had 38.6 degrees Celsius temperature. He was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital as a suspected Covid-19 case.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, a departing passenger, a Japanese national aged 27, showed symptoms of coughing and runny nose with 37.1 degrees Celsius temperature. She was ruled as a possible patient taken to Bangplee Hospital.

And the other passengers on the aircraft were allowed to continue?

We're in control... ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And the other passengers on the aircraft were allowed to continue?

We're in control... ????

So because 3 people on 3 different planes had SYMPTOMS all passengers on those planes should be in quarantine?

By this logic (a slightly elevated temperature and a bit of a cough) you probably have a million suspected cases just in Thailand. Want to quarantine and test all of them? Include all they have come in contact with and you have basically the whole nation as suspected carriers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

So because 3 people on 3 different planes had SYMPTOMS all passengers on those planes should be in quarantine?

They must be judged as being high risk... yes!

Or how else are you supposed to stop the spread?

• Sad 1

"At Don Mueang International Airport, an Indian national, aged 39, who was flying in from Narita Airport in Japan on an AirAsia X flight had 37.7 degrees Celsius temperature but showed no signs of coughing or runny nose. He was ruled as a possible patient by the airport medical team and admitted to Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute."

Upon admittance, he asked for a can of Coke and three straws.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

they are doing the same all over Thailand.

if you have a fever don't go out or you will be detained and placed in an isolation ward.

They're shanghaing people.

21 hours ago, zydeco said:

37.1 isn't even a fever. In Fahrenheit terms, it's not even 99 degrees. They're pulling people off planes with 98.7 F temperature and who have a cough and a runny nose. That could be because she had just had an extra dose of wasabi.

Better safe than sorry eh.....:coffee1:

20 hours ago, mark131v said:

These people are dense and it is all top down

36.9 is classed as a normal body temp with a few degrees either way being absolutely normal, 37.5 classed as a very low grade fever so to be pulling people out of a flight for that is a complete red herring as there is a shedload of harmless conditions that can lead to those symptoms...

They are really showing their lack of understanding but hey it is another chance for a photo op and a bit of back slapping...

Think you are the one with lack of understanding, they are doing it to try to protect YOU..........

All very cosmetic....some people have been diagnosed with the virus with absolutely no symptoms....and the poor chaps wearing their green paper masks are totally at risk as these masks do not prevent the wearer from catching the virus...and what about glasses if one really want's to protect their health screening staff....such a lack of basic know how is scary and disgraceful.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wavel said:

Absolutely ridiculous & scaremongering, if any of these foreign nationals turn out not to have the covid19 virus. This is tantamount to kidnap & forced imprisonment in a Thai hospital, for having a runny nose. I’m sure it won’t be easy for these passengers to leave the hospital without paying a larger than Thai citizen bill. Then there’s the flight rescheduling. Who pays?

This could end up costing people THOUSANDS of dollars. It's unbelievable. 

I guarantee that any non Thai citizen this happens to will never willingly return to this country again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Think you are the one with lack of understanding, they are doing it to try to protect YOU..........

Absolute horse manure!!!

All they do is knee jerk reactions which just illustrates their complete lack of understanding, basic stuff like the op was not a fever it was normal body temp! not hard fella is it...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

They are doing it to try to protect TOURISM and then THAIS.

And I suspect you know this as they make it very clear they are only protecting Thais.

• Like 1

Someone somewhere is telling porkies.It has just been confirmed that the UK has 51 confirmed cases of the virus.Compare this with a "static" Thailand of 43.

Need I say more,your guess who is telling the porkies

(Non Uk readers,porky pies-lies)