Britain tells the EU: we shall not sell out our fishermen

snoop1130

3 hours ago, izod10 said:

Never happen, in french minds it will tho,they will be shooting themselves in the foot,Italy ,Spain need access to UK,internal rioting in eu over it, Germany is a direct threat to france if that occurs with UKs  37%. deficit The fatherland will oust them ,like it did 80 years ago

eire have already shot themselves in both feet, never survive with full brexit exposure

There won,t be an eu in ten years time.

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Go find your own maps. I am not your secretary.

You nonetheless bit like an arbroath smokie in post #91 ????

What was that about feeling inadequate?

(Don't forget Fair Isle!)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

My belief is that if the French do not get access to UK waters then, as in the past, their fishermen will blockade the ports. Big trouble ahead if that happens.

There may be trouble ahead,just face the music and dance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, transam said:

It does look that way....????

But Turkey still wants to join.....????????????

Let,em join,then i,'ll take back what I just said i,'ll change it to five years.

Edited by kingdong
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I guess if the EU/French don't get access to UK fishing waters they can also sail to Japan and Fish there, EU consumers would have to get use to eating different types of fish

I guess if the EU/French sail to Japan and demand access to their fishing waters they would receive a short, sharp, simple reply!

32 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Let,em join,then i,'ll take back what I just said i,'ll change it to five years.

Well they probably would have invaded by then anyhoooo......????

I see their troops are already dressing like Rambo....????

23 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Then you don't get a deal, easy. No one cares except brits.

Last time i looked there was also water around Ireland, france, spain,denmark, germany, italy, poland, norway, sweden, lithuania, latvia, estonia, portugal, croatia, greece, bulgaria, romania and the ukraine - MAYBE THERE'S FISH IN THESE WATERS TOO?!?

Not much, fished out many years ago...

23 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Your National Health system is yours to put on the table. the USA, can <deleted> and moan all day, about wanting to treat your NHS as a market to get into, that only happens if the the UK were to say yes. The USA can't force your national health onto a chopping block.

No but the billionare owners of big pharma can buy off the government, especially if they're tories...

21 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Accessing the EEZ

35.Another fundamental change relates to access to fishing in the UK EEZ. Under international law, any decision to allow foreign vessels access to fish in UK waters will be a matter for bilateral negotiation and agreement between the UK and other coastal states. In the words of Prof Churchill:

“There is a distinction between what is said in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and what tends to happen in practice. … as far as the Convention is concerned … if in a particular coastal state’s EEZ the coastal state is capable of harvesting the entire allowable catch, it is under no obligation to allow any other fishermen from other states to fish there, so it can take the whole of the allowable catch. Where an obligation to admit other fishers comes in—again, this is on the theory of the convention—that is where the coastal state does not take the whole of the allowable catch and there is a surplus. It must admit other states to the surplus, but again it has a discretion … but only where there is a surplus.”52

Are you trying to say that now brexit has happened the fish must stop migrating and para 35 will take precedence over everything else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAG said:

I guess if the EU/French sail to Japan and demand access to their fishing waters they would receive a short, sharp, simple reply!

Since when did any EU country have a maritime border with Japan.

The UK has 7 maritime borders with the EU and not one brexiteer has ever explained how they will take back control. 

UNCLOS states it should be by co-operation, something the UK finds a bit difficult.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, sandyf said:

The brexiteers never did comprehend the concept of co-operation.

32.Where fish stocks are not exclusively found in UK waters, then, the UK must co-operate on the management of the stocks.50 Prof Churchill explained: “most of the fish stocks found in the waters of the UK are actually shared with our neighbours, be it the EU, Norway, the Faroe Islands or, in some cases, all three”.51 How the UK decides to pursue its general obligations to co-operate with the EU and other neighbouring states will be a matter for negotiations before and after Brexit.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/78/7806.htm

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to say that now brexit has happened the fish must stop migrating and para 35 will take precedence over everything else.

the quote is from the same link that you kindly provided just further down from the inital section that you quoted

3 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

You dont know a lot about fishing realy or fish, Herring is a good source of protein mainly kippers, same goes for mackerel, There are/was plenty of fish in the North Sea Due to britain's conservation before the EU took control, Now Danish Belgique, and all the rest, Come with there beam trawlers Electric stunning nets and leave the sea bed like a plowed field , lifeless, Then there's the  Hover boots who literaly hover everything off the sea bed leaving nothing but sand and mud , all the catch is used no matter how small so no regeneration of most spices,  So Bring on a No deal, Let Grimsby  Once the biggest port in the world regenerate and start catching Fish In British waters with British boats,

it is not without reason that fisheries in general is not part of the EEA treaty,

doesn't matter much to Liechtenstein

but very important to Iceland and Norway

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The UK has 7 maritime borders with the EU and not one brexiteer has ever explained how they will take back control. 

What do you think they're doing at this moment. They're negotiating and have til the end of this year to come to an agreement. No agreement then the EU will not be allowed access to UK waters. Simps innit?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What do you think they're doing at this moment. They're negotiating and have til the end of this year to come to an agreement. No agreement then the EU will not be allowed access to UK waters. Simps innit?

Then who will the UK fishermen sell all their excess fish to? If there's no agreement those fish will be slapped with tariffs if for sale in the EU.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, bannork said:

Then who will the UK fishermen sell all their excess fish to?

If you read the papers it will tell you that countries outside of the EU are queuing up to sign trade agreements with the UK.

Foreign boats will require a licence to fish in British waters after Brexit under new legislation being brought before MPs today. 

The Fisheries Bill means EU vessels will have to abide by UK law if they enter UK waters and will end any automatic right the boats formerly held.

It will be the first time since 1973 that Britain will have been able to control which fishing vessels enter its waters.

The new law also enshrines protections for threatened species, including dolphins, which currently suffer injury and death when they are caught as bycatch by EU-approved supertrawlers.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/fishing-after-brexit-uk-share-leaving-eu-consequences-1377080

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If you read the papers it will tell you that countries outside of the EU are queuing up to sign trade agreements with the UK.

https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/fishing-after-brexit-uk-share-leaving-eu-consequences-1377080

Ivor, that article is pessimistic about a deal being made before the end of the year- 'choppy waters ahead'. The fishing is complicated, more money made in processing than catching, if we don't allow the French to fish, they'll retaliate.

Nothing in the article about countries queueing up to sign a deal with The UK.

Who will we sell the fish to if not Europe? Russia?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Perhaps denying access to the English waters, could actually be beneficial for the EU.

Let the English do all the hard work, catch the fist out in the open seas. Add sufficient tariffs, to make sure that the fish price stays low for the sellers (EU countries getting the tax revenue). Also making sure that only unprocessed fish is allowed to enter the EU. Thus cutting of the value added fish processing industry altogether.

Then process the fish inside Europe, adding value to the product and sell it either to the EU markets.

This model would make the English fishermen as producers of bulk items. 

The only ???????????????????????????? waters I can think of founded Pink Floyd! :blink:

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Since when did any EU country have a maritime border with Japan.

UNCLOS states it should be by co-operation, something the UK finds a bit difficult.

We can share the borders - no problem with that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Given the massive economic decline and problems the UK is facing now the fisheries issues is, dare I say it, a red herring...

I don't think so, given that the EU as a whole is in also economic decline with its own problems, and also that the fish concerned are so important to the EU fishermen and consumers alike.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Perhaps denying access to the English waters, could actually be beneficial for the EU.

Let the English do all the hard work, catch the fist out in the open seas. Add sufficient tariffs, to make sure that the fish price stays low for the sellers (EU countries getting the tax revenue). Also making sure that only unprocessed fish is allowed to enter the EU. Thus cutting of the value added fish processing industry altogether.

Then process the fish inside Europe, adding value to the product and sell it either to the EU markets.

This model would make the English fishermen as producers of bulk items. 

Yeah....great idea.