Michelin City Pro

15 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
On 3/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

So my question here: Does it make a difference for "daughters motorbike" if she has brand name tires A or B?

I guess she won't use any tires to the region where it makes a difference. She won't scrap her knee in the corner...

Yes it can make a difference between crashing and not crashing in emergency or wet conditions. I wouldn't cheap out on tires and I've noticed big big differences between tire models.

This is why I wrote: "brand name tires"

Cheap is never good, I agree. But I would guess that any tire from Michelin or Dunlop or BRANDNAME should do the job.

And that is my question: Am I right with that assumption? Or are there even big differences even with the brand name tires?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This is why I wrote: "brand name tires"

Cheap is never good, I agree. But I would guess that any tire from Michelin or Dunlop or BRANDNAME should do the job.

And that is my question: Am I right with that assumption? Or are there even big differences even with the brand name tires?

There are also big differences between brand name tires, even within the same brand. Then there's also sometimes a difference within the *same model* depending on if it's OEM or aftermarket. OEMs sometimes get brand name tires but a cheap version of it. The OEM Dunlops on my AT sucked. But not always are the OEM tires bad. The Pirelli MT90RS (iirc) that came with my Scrambler were pretty damn good. I've had some good aftermarket Dunlops as well.

Usually most of the brand name models are pretty good, especially when bought aftermarket. Then one has to just make sure the tire isn't too old or has been sitting in the sun.

• Like 2

I use the City Pro tyres on an old Honda Dream from 2001 as replacements for IRC Maxxing tyres. 

The City Pro performs better than the IRC and this is particularly noticeable under braking.  Although MIchelin claim that they last longer than IRC that hasn't been my experience but I will buy the Michelins again for my old Dream and other small bikes based on performance.

There is an an amusing video by Michelin Thailand on YouTube which suggests that not only will you save money by the long life of the City Pros and their puncture resistance but hot young women will be impressed by your financially wise choice. 

• Haha 2

On 3/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

In my experience yes, don't forget though that many tyre brands have move on with the times, this is something that is missed imho.

I guess we have to rely on tests and the trouble with them is whose the richest.