Drastic Action Against Drunk Drivers In Songkran Revels

george

Call me a cynic but after 17 years here, very little changes except that the road deaths get higher year on year. Since the government has now gone ahead with its stringent controls on alcohol advertising and other draconian measures to control supply, they would get serious mud on their faces if this Songkran period shows in increase (yet again) in road deaths. I for one, can't wait to see the mud dripping off their faces when it all fails.

I notice two rather amusing points in the "press release". Number one, the authorities seem to think that the revellers are crashing cars/motorbikes/buffaloes not only from over use of alcohol, but also from lack of sleep. Does anyone else find this statement amusing? Number two, according to the article, the petrol stations and convenience stores have been "advised" not to sell alcohol. This implies that the store and petrol station owners actually have civic responsibility and will forego huge profits during the Songkran piss-up? Yet another joke.

Oh well, this Songkran reveller will stay close to home as always and enjoy relative peace, quiet and dry cloths.

Have fun kiddies !!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the drunken drivers: no need to fill the jails with them and no need to expect them to pay the fines. Just revoke their driving license instantly and for lifetime.

Driving licences? Half them don't have a DL and the rest don't care. How many times have we heard the phrase after an accident "The Driver fled the scene"

Food for thought: Just stand outside a Thai School and see if you can see one of the riders old enough to apply for a licence. With the Police on Point Duty waving them through! :o

Drastic action against drunk drivers in Songkran revels

BANGKOK: -- Police will take tough action against those who drink and drive as well as a ban on those defying a ban on the use of high-pressure water guns and powder to ensure safe celebrations during Songkran festival or the traditional Thai New Year.

And for the rest of the year?

i will add my name to the list of folks who has had these very same things happen to me, the wife and child, all in pattaya.

further, i have a skin condition that is related to a bacterial infection, it causes the skin on the soles of my feet, ankles and plams to dry up and peel off. this condition started a few weeks after sonkran 1999. it lingers to this day. the doctors at the pattaya hospital looked at it the first time and the only question i was asked was, did u get klong water on you during songkran? i did. the last day of that year's festival someone drove by a beer bar i was at on beach road and shot water out of a high pressure hose that was fed by klong water in a 55 gallon drum in the back of their vehicle. i work in food service and this is not a good thing when you must meet and greet the public.

the guests at our hotel that year were especially angry and said they would never come back to thailand because they felt they had been lied to about the holiday and what it was really about and how long it was for. one couple had just come from chiang mai and they said they thought the festival was over (they had been told it was over), but when they got to pattaya it was still on for about a week. they were unable to leave the hotel and being elderly folks they just had no desire to partake in the water throwing. bottom line, most farangs do not like the new version of this holiday.

i say new because the old ancient ways of songkran are quite sedate and reverent in nature, a true family event that has a lot to do with paying respect and making merit for a good harvest season and upcoming year.

i will be in hong kong for this year's festival, i try to get away from it when i can. this is what many thais do now too. reservations out of thailand tend to max out at this time of the year, and it is thais who are flying out to avoid the holiday "fun". seems a lot of folks are fed up with the whole ordeal.

It would seem that these rules have only been applied to Bangkok.

In Chiang Mai the local government had been encouraging everyone to start early to increase the humidity levels and combat the pollution problem!!!

I'm ducking and diving to do my best to avoid the village kids who are already bored at the beginning of their school holidays and are armed and dangerous. No amount of "dichan pen ajarn. Leen naam mai dai" will deter them and I'm already a little tired of turning up wet to teach my private students. Oh well, it will be over in two or three weeks...

Sawatdii Pii May!!!

MCL

Things are not helped in Chiangmai when there are cross-road banners outside Yupparat Wittyalai school, with the only decypherable English stating that the Songkran Festival is from 1-18 April.

Farangs have for a long time, been the worst of the morons during Songkran up here

Personal examples from the past - 2002 - 10Kg block of ice accompanied by around 1 litre of water, in the face while riding the motorbike inside the moat - one week BEFORE the official start of festivities. Thrown by a farang

2005 - 11pm at night - bucket of ice cubes and water in the mush on the motor bike while riding past a scummy backpackers restaurant - thrown by a farang - whilst attepting to ride between two singthaews on the move at 40+ kph

2005 (again) two buckets of water in the face on the motorbike at 50kph on the Hang Dong highway - from farangs hiding behind a parked Songthaew - 7 days after the official END of "festivities".

And people wonder why the police will not license resident farangs to carry firearms?

Gaz (prisoner in his own house for the next 10 days)

What injuries did you sustain when the 10kg block of ice hit you in the face? Where you wearing a full face helmet? Did the police take action against the perpetrators?

Wow, you really HATE FARANGS. Do you ever stop to think about the percentage of thais doing the same thing during songkran? There's bad everywhere. If you ever leave your house you might be able to see for yourself rather than sit and talk about how "Farangs are the worst of morons". You actually sound pretty ignorant. I have been blasted with high powered water guns, had an eye infection from the powder and dirty water, and iced water thrown on me while I was on my way to work on my motorcycle. This was all done by THAIS. Thai men don't know how to handle their liqueur. Unlike you, I don't sit there and complain about it or announce that I can't go outside because of bad people.( I think other foreigners would agree as well ). It's pretty ridiculous. You definately need to get a grip on reality, otherwise... just stay home and bake in your loathing. :o

:D sawadee kaa from a Lukkrung (Thai-American)

Things are not helped in Chiangmai when there are cross-road banners outside Yupparat Wittyalai school, with the only decypherable English stating that the Songkran Festival is from 1-18 April.

Farangs have for a long time, been the worst of the morons during Songkran up here

Personal examples from the past - 2002 - 10Kg block of ice accompanied by around 1 litre of water, in the face while riding the motorbike inside the moat - one week BEFORE the official start of festivities. Thrown by a farang

2005 - 11pm at night - bucket of ice cubes and water in the mush on the motor bike while riding past a scummy backpackers restaurant - thrown by a farang - whilst attepting to ride between two singthaews on the move at 40+ kph

2005 (again) two buckets of water in the face on the motorbike at 50kph on the Hang Dong highway - from farangs hiding behind a parked Songthaew - 7 days after the official END of "festivities".

And people wonder why the police will not license resident farangs to carry firearms?

Gaz (prisoner in his own house for the next 10 days)

The usual muddled Thai thinking.

The usual muddled Thai thinking? I guess it is only muddled to selfrighteous and "we know it all" white people as is every thing else as well.

I think what Astral was trying to say is that the Thai way if thinking is to avoid, at all costs, a confrontation. Burying ones head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away, is the best course of action. The issue, as I see it, is that the authorities refuse to deal with the actual problem and prefer instead to solve the symptoms. Why this is so, I do not know. I can only guess.

We as foreigners to this land are often gobsmacked at why they simply dont follow the path already laid down by western countries on dealing with drink-driving. The problem of drink driving has almost been completely wiped out due to proper POLICING of the situation and strict LAWS !! Therein lies the problem. The police will say that they are under-manned, under trained and do not have the resources (i.e. breathalizers and strict laws) to do the job. And they are correct. I am told that there are only a few police stations in Bangkok that have the capability to do breathalizer tests. Not to mention the rest of the country !!

The SOLUTION is relatively simple: hit the consumer where it hurts - in the pocket. Once word gets out that the police are enforcing drink driving through road blocks and breathalisers, the problem will slowly dissolve away (assuming no corruptionand that police DO their job).

Prohibitionist policies and focusing blame on the liquor companies simply wont work. Why? Who gets hurt? the consumer or the supplier? The answer is: the supplier and the consumer doesnt give a ######.

If the liquor companies were smart, they would help Thailand invest in breathaliser technology to solve the problems and not the symptoms. From the Governments side, direct a large portion of the excise taxes gained from alcohol companies towards fighting drink driving and invest together to solve the PROBLEM !!!

Easier said than done, due mainly to "head in sand" disease. TIT

Wow, you really HATE FARANGS. Do you ever stop to think about the percentage of thais doing the same thing during songkran? There's bad everywhere. If you ever leave your house you might be able to see for yourself rather than sit and talk about how "Farangs are the worst of morons". You actually sound pretty ignorant. I have been blasted with high powered water guns, had an eye infection from the powder and dirty water, and iced water thrown on me while I was on my way to work on my motorcycle. This was all done by THAIS. Thai men don't know how to handle their liqueur. Unlike you, I don't sit there and complain about it or announce that I can't go outside because of bad people.( I think other foreigners would agree as well ). It's pretty ridiculous. You definately need to get a grip on reality, otherwise... just stay home and bake in your loathing. :o

:D sawadee kaa from a Lukkrung (Thai-American)

Please make an appointment at your local hospital to have that bee surgically removed from your bonnet.

Oh dear, my embassy thought it a very handy idea to let me come for a visum for my wife (just holidays) on april 12.

In Bangkok

Anybody has for sale a watertight anti iceblock vest?

Or one of those handy shields the anti riot police have?

I will pay a very wet or powdery price for it.

Good ideas are also welcome.

We as foreigners to this land are often gobsmacked at why they simply dont follow the path already laid down by western countries on dealing with drink-driving. The problem of drink driving has almost been completely wiped out due to proper POLICING of the situation and strict LAWS !! Therein lies the problem.

CHRISTMAS DRINK DRIVE FIGURES RELEASED FOR ENGLAND AND WALES

The 2006 / 2007 Christmas drink-drive figures were released on the 16th January 2007, and nationally they show a slight reduction in the number of people caught drunk behind the wheel, even though more breath tests were carried out than during the last period. Statistics on the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) web site show that 145,867 drivers were breath tested in England and Wales during December 2006, with 9,658 proving positive.

USA......

In the United States the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 17,013 people died in 2003 in "alcohol-related" collisions, representing 40 percent of total traffic deaths in the US. Over 500,000 people were injured in alcohol-related accidents in the US in 2003.

Yea.....why don't the Thais behave more like the Farang do in their own countries .......where they have no problems on the roads due to drunk drivers...... :o

Edited by Maigo6

Songkran is no longer fun due to a lot of the Thais and even more farangs now unable to enjoy it unless they are very drunk.If you live here now the best place to enjoy it is in your home.My wife,Thai, even understands why I no longer want to go and spend time at her parents home.

Last year I was at her town and all the kids started to put water and powder on me then all the 'pissed up' adults thought it would be fun also.

Songkran in one word ....Childish !

Also check the drunk drivers 365 days a year.They are bad enough drivers without beer !

PS Happy Songkran :o

We as foreigners to this land are often gobsmacked at why they simply dont follow the path already laid down by western countries on dealing with drink-driving. The problem of drink driving has almost been completely wiped out due to proper POLICING of the situation and strict LAWS !! Therein lies the problem.

CHRISTMAS DRINK DRIVE FIGURES RELEASED FOR ENGLAND AND WALES

The 2006 / 2007 Christmas drink-drive figures were released on the 16th January 2007, and nationally they show a slight reduction in the number of people caught drunk behind the wheel, even though more breath tests were carried out than during the last period. Statistics on the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) web site show that 145,867 drivers were breath tested in England and Wales during December 2006, with 9,658 proving positive.

Yea.....why don't the Thais behave more like the Farang do in their own countries .......where they have no problems on the roads due to drunk drivers...... :o

Well in the UK according to the stats, 6.6% of drivers tested were positive (a positive test does not neccasarily mean over the limit), which is a vast improvement to what it was say 10-20 years ago.

I think if you tested 100 drivers over the Songkran period over here, there would be a lot more than 6 or 7 being positive!!!

I agree, and if 100 farangs were tested any night of the Year driving in Pattaya on Motorcycles or Cars, I believe the positives would also be a lot higher than 6 or 7.

Edited by Maigo6

Now let's hope they check out Pattaya, as it's chaos for a whole week. Plenty

of talk powder being openly sold on the streets, the waterguns etc, silly farangs

going overboard thinking everything can, getting drunk, grabbing hold of Thai women.

Besides 13 - 15 April, the worst days are 18-19 April, the so called Naklua/Pattaya

songkran days, left over from the old weeklong Pattaya festival.

Now there is no festival in that week anymore and it's a shame that Songkran is

not just limited to the real days only, 3 days is long enough not 7.

Cars carrying people with water throwing equipment are banned from entering Bangkok's inner city or nearby areas between April 11-15.

That's good news for vendors selling water guns in the inner city. :o

Well then we will hold this holiday outside bkk, like in pattaya or hua hin or wherever you wish...

354 deaths? isn't that 50% of last year?

cheers

happy easter

I agree, and if 100 farangs were tested any night of the Year driving in Pattaya on Motorcycles or Cars, I believe the positives would also be a lot higher than 6 or 7.

And that is the point the the poster you responded to was trying to make.

Immaterial of farang driver or Thai driver, there are simply NO deterrents here to prevent drink driving, as there are in UK and I assume in USA.

You will never completely eliminate the problem but with deterrents you will reduce it.

Over here I am afraid that will never happen.

I share your belief but then many of the farangs on holiday here and some of the residents, both of whom who are hardly the cream of Western society, have a total disregard and contempt for the law - just as many Thais do. No sane person would consider those you refer to to be representative of Western civilisation. You are not comparing like with like.

In the matter of testing in the UK anyone in charge of a motor vehicle who has drunk little more than one pint of beer ( 1 large Singha )loses their licence for one year and is looking at a fine of at least £200 (13,800 baht). Their insurance premiums sky rocket also and many insurance companies even refuse business from those with a conviction. Any chance of obtaining or holding a Public Service Driving Licence disappears into vapour. The conviction is recorded on the idiot's driving licence and remains there for 10 years. Even if you feel the unwell from drinking or the ingestion of drugs, prescribed or not, and pull over somewhere quiet to sleep the effects off still leave you liable to prosecution if the car keys are found to be on your person or even in the car. The penalties for a second or third offence are swingeing and jail time is a distinct possibility. All mobile police are in possession of breathalysers and those on foot will call one up immediately. Only the suicidal would consider bribing a police officer - and even offending senior police officers can expect short shrift from the system.

Compare that with the Thai system where you would have to be reeking of booze or seriously impaired to be booked. I have no idea of what the on the spot penalty levied would be but my guess is that 500 baht would smooth things over and the driver sent on their way. Those driving posh cars are never stopped of course. The entire exercise is very Mickey Mouse. Would it be too much trouble to expect the cop who is collect 'tea money' from those not wearing eggshells in their heads to demand production of a driving licence and insurance? How about testing if the lights work? And the brakes? A mere glance would suffice to check for bald tyres. Just think how much extra 'tea money' they could collect! Maybe even enough to acquire cameras linked to traffic lights or unmanned radar speed traps? Then the money would be rolling in, maybe even enough to be able to recruit, educate and train REAL police officers.

The UK and Thailand have almost the same number of inhabitants but the UK has a much small land area which means that the road population is statistically higher. For every person killed on UK roads, the Thais manage to kill 9. Maybe they are working on commission? Maybe a strict driving test would help but then where could you find competent examiners who would refuse a bribe? It was reported in the Bangkok Post that 45% of Bangkok traffic policemen failed a test of their knowledge of the law and who can forget the picture of police officers ordered to take driving lessons after some Government Minister's motorcade was overtaken by several? :o All of the cops would have failed the UK driving test as many farangs hastened to point out.

Politicians will wring their hands when the casualty figures are made known and offer a few sound bites. It's their bloody necks that should be wrung. The police too. As we have noticed in other threads, they make up law as they go along. I have never heard of a senior policeman making representations to those charged with running this country for adequate resources to ensure strict and honest law enforcement. The fact of the matter is that nobody really cares and 'mai pen rai' wins again.

This is the intelligence of the military junta running this country. They are so concerned about the problems the holiday brings so they increased it one day to 5. If they were that concerned they should have reduced it to 3 days like last year. That is 2 days more than necessary.

Like Christmas in the USA, the Thai's have lost all meaning of this holiday also.

Like Christmas in the USA, the Thai's have lost all meaning of this holiday also.

The mighty Farang has spoken, so it must be right............ :o

You appear to think that all Thai people fit into your sterotypical typecast.

The Thais this, the Thais that...................like you know all 65 Million personally..... :D

Gotta love the attitude of many Farangs, constant critisism of Thai people and Thailand, I just have to wonder how their own countries ever became so screwed up with Farangs running them.

Edited by Maigo6

BANGKOK: -- Police will take tough action against those who drink and drive as well as a ban on those defying a ban on the use of high-pressure water guns and powder to ensure safe celebrations during Songkran festival or the traditional Thai New Year.

Pol. Lt-Gen. Adul Saengsingkaew, assistant national police chief, said a police centre aimed at preventing road accidents during the water splashing festival would officially open on April 10.

During last year's celebrations, almost two-thirds -- 65 per cent --of driving accidents were alcohol-related and involving insufficient rest on the part of motorists, Gen. Adul said, adding that the police nationwide have been ordered to strictly enforce laws on drinking and driving, while bans against the use of high-pressure water guns and talcum powder are also imposed.

This year's five-day public holiday for Songkran is from April 13 to 17. The government has set a mortality target that revellers dying in road accidents should not exceed the level of 354 deaths during the holiday period.

Convenience stores and petrol stations are advised not to sell alcoholic drinks during the celebrations, he said.

Cars carrying people with water throwing equipment are banned from entering Bangkok's inner city or nearby areas between April 11-15.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board has issued a temporary ban on sales of high-pressure water guns. Violators will be subject to a maximum five-year jail sentence and/or a fine of Bt500,000.

--TNA 2007-04-07

This is so illogicial and ridiculous at the same time.

There are 3 kinds of lies: straight lies, white lies, and statistics. Until they know for sure what the actual % of drunk drivers on the road is, they don't know if that is true cause of the problem. Suppose that 90% of all accidents in Thailand involved a male driver. So based on that can you say we should ban male drivers, yah! No, gimme a break. You need more information. Suppose it was also fact that 90% of ALL drivers in Thailand were also male. Then it turns out that the accident population is the same as the driving population, so gender makes no difference. If it turned out that only 65% of all accidents involved a male driver when 90% of ALL thai drivers are male, this would imply that it is actually safer to have a male driver.

So, for the case of drunken vs. sober drivers, there is missing information. One needs to know the % of ALL drivers who are drunk before making any conclusions. If nearly 90% of the drivers on the road these days were drunk, and yet only 65% of the accdents are caused by drunks, then actually it would be safer to drive drunk. Now I'm not condoning alcohol use & driving, but I am saying there may be many other, far worse, and more easily managable contributing causes to car accidents. Also, when they say, alcohol was involved that means it could either of two drivers, which really means that it could be more accidents are caused by reckless, yet sober drivers. On any given day, probably 50% of the drivers in my area disobey common traffic rules, driving on the wrong side of the road, in over-crowded, helmet-less, underage-driven motorbikes, distracted drivers on cell phones or watching TV IN THEIR CAR (yes, I've see it), speeding failing to signal, cutting around on the wrong side of a vehicle turning, not to mention very bad roads & sewars, missing stop signs, etc, etc I could go on and on. The real problem is that at least 50% of the drivers on any given day of the year should not be on the road (they need to be trained to understand traffic rules and obey them) because this 50% drive RECKLESSLY, endangering others on ALL DAYS OF THE YEAR.

And, why is OK to have a target of 354 deaths for this holiday? How about a target of ZERO deaths? Are they nuts or what? And the fine for drunk driving is 20K Baht, but the fine for selling a water gun is 500K Baht? Are they insane?

And the dates quoted in this article are self conflicting 3 times: It states the festival opens on the 10th, but the holiday is 13-17th, and cars with water throwing equipment are banned only from the 11th - 15th? So I guess the 11-13 and 15-17 is open season for water hunters?!?! I guess they have to make their quota of 354 deaths somehow!!

What an idiocy this all is.

I am obviously in the minority on this subject, I really enjoy Songkran!

I am flying back to Thailand on Wedenesday morning to collect friends and family of my wife from Bangkok and then make the journey to a new Songkran destination for us this year, Ubon Ratchatani. This will be my 5th straight year in Thailand during the holidays, we have mixed it up between Pattaya, Chaiyaphum, Pattaya, Chaiyaphum and now Ubon. We have a pick-up and it is great to take the kids (young and old....haha) around and enjoy the atmosphere from the Thai point of view. Of course there are those that push it to far and for sure some people are down right dangerous but I have found that to be the exception not the norm.

Songkran sanook mak mak!....Chak dee naaaaaah!

The mighty Farang has spoken, so it must be right............ :o

You appear to think that all Thai people fit into your sterotypical typecast.

The Thais this, the Thais that...................like you know all 65 Million personally..... :D

Gotta love the attitude of many Farangs, constant critisism of Thai people and Thailand, I just have to wonder how their own countries ever became so screwed up with Farangs running them.

I agree with you and understand that you got upset. This forum too often turns out to be a place where any dummy or intelligent farang can come and critisize Thailand and the Thai people often without really have much value to add. And I'm sure if foreigners in their own country critizised their country in the way they critize Thailand in this forum they would go bersake.

But with all respect to this country, its people and its authorities who allow me to work and live here - every single road accident death is one too much. Last time I went to my home country I felt like being in a kind of dreamland when I intended to wait at a crosswalk until the cars are over, but instead of this, as soon as I reached the crosswalk the car immediately stopped and let me cross the street. I don't have to tell you that in Thailand the bigger the vehicle is the more priority rights it has. I'm working in an industrial area of the southern Bangkok suburbs and I can tell you that these about 10km of street are the most dangereous piece of road I have seen so far. Trucks and many other vehicles are driven like mad, not drunk, just mad. But that is not the only reason why people get killed. No matter how dangerous the street is, I still see pedestrians crossing the street right below the flyover bridge. I don't know how to explain this. If (some) Thais really don't care about whether they get ran over by a car, if (some) car-, truck- and busdrivers really don't care whether they might kill somebody in an accident no matter due to alcohol, not enough sleep or whatever else, if (many) Thais are not more responsible or think they do not have to be more responsible then this is their business and their right. If the majority of Thais can accept the road accident deaths as destiny of each killed individual then so may it be. It is the Thais' culture, the Thais' country, the Thai's philosophy and the Thai's believes. And in most road accidents it's the Thai's lifes that get extinguished. But please understand that you will hardly find a farang who can understand this. There could be done so much to save so many lifes. Thai lifes. But it must be done by Thais.

Convenience stores and petrol stations are advised not to sell alcoholic drinks during the celebrations

--TNA 2007-04-07

At thier biggest booze sale time of the year I'm totally confident that all the convenience and petrol station operaters will take this advice onboard :o

Just listen to our Great Defense Minister.

"I assume that whoever tries to cause trouble in the country is nothing else but a traitor," he said Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas.

That was about the... PTV rally (sunday).

But it could apply to... drunk drivers too ?

:o

You don't vote for CNS, you're a traitor.

You drink and drive, you're a traitor.

You don't put your yellow shirt, you're a traitor.

I mean, it's great. Very convenient to rule a country.

What amazes me is the following. You have a Thai coustom that originates from GENTLY pooring water on to a person's hand or body. It is not surpising that over time this gently pooring goes a bit further and takes the look of a national water battle. I have seen this for the first time 11 years ago and it litterally was a water battle between kid's and youngsters - but it still was somehow gentle and friendly, with a lot of joy and love.

dude , older folks have always got into "the fun" of songkran, i had my first songkran in 84(so my 'always' is not really always) and also got a nasty ear infection from a powder/water mix long before it was as popular as it is now. Sure the festivities have esculated like the zimbabwean inflation rate, but you must of been either on the puff or in a daze to think that 11 years ago there was none of what we see today going on....i still enjoy this time of year but am relieved when it is over, as I think most thais are also.....i've also learnt that its a great investment to wear swimmers earplugs!!!!!! :o

I am obviously in the minority on this subject, I really enjoy Songkran!

I am flying back to Thailand on Wedenesday morning to collect friends and family of my wife from Bangkok and then make the journey to a new Songkran destination for us this year, Ubon Ratchatani. This will be my 5th straight year in Thailand during the holidays, we have mixed it up between Pattaya, Chaiyaphum, Pattaya, Chaiyaphum and now Ubon. We have a pick-up and it is great to take the kids (young and old....haha) around and enjoy the atmosphere from the Thai point of view. Of course there are those that push it to far and for sure some people are down right dangerous but I have found that to be the exception not the norm.

Songkran sanook mak mak!....Chak dee naaaaaah!

Enjoy!!! I first came to Thailand in 1969 as a young GI of 19 years old, man o man, that ruined me for life - been coming back ever sense - even owned a bar in Pataya from 73-78, Love Song Krahn, sure it is a true tradition to sprinkle flowered, purfumed water on the respected elders by the children but It evolved into somthing else, I have to 'blame' the foreigners for making it a 'helluva lot of fun' over the years and it just took off. Did you know it was bad luck to not get water sprinkled on you during this holiday??? Revelers beware - you will get wet. But, drugs, alcohol, have turned this into a Madi Gras (did I mention I'm from Nahlans Loosiana) gone wild - I had a Vietnamese lady visit me in Bangkok during SongKranh, she thought it was great fun until she was assaulted by a Lady Boy rubbing some dirty powder in her face. I got in between them and litteraly smashed his head into a phone booth, shoved him in there, and the shop owners helped me keep it closed & called the police - across the street, were about a dozen on Bangkok's finest in raincoats - when they got there, they tried to arrest me for busting this guys face up, once I showed my Thai resident ID Card, (diplomatic) that settled the matter of my status, they took him off to jail - there were pictures of us in the Newspapers the next day. My point is - it has turned out to be somthing 'Dangerous' to everyone and I say 'everyone' is too blame Thai, Foreigner, everyone. Either Enjoy it or stay home, our choice. Khun Tim