Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My personal concern about keeping the 800,000 in the bank, is not that I cannot access it,or afford to lock that amount up, but if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country, then we are royally screwed.

That is all some people have for security.

Yep, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. I use the 65000 baht per month and that which I don't spend I send back to UK and use it the next month within the 65000. So, when the ordure hits the fan ( may or may not, I'm not an expert) I'm down 65000 at the most....others potentially much more. With different anti West signals coming from different Gov. depts it makes sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

Yes, if there was ever a run on the banks similar to what has occurred in other developing nations and the government blocked withdrawals then we would all be screwed.  And complain you'll be deported LOL.

Avoid total disaster by taking your allowed 400K in cash , as soon allowed...., and only return it to bank when the needed date is there again , at least you have  400K under your own hand if you fear some unrest situations ...

Cash is still king, Gold emperor , and plastic is only money as long no body press a special  button or certain  phone call …… after that it is only plastic ….same for bank account

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Pride comes before a fall Thailand, be careful, you don't innovate, very little of what you produce is Thai designed and owned, that can also one day disappear like the snow in March and you will be left as a lengthened workbench for China where they dictate the price.

Yes, ma'am. Very scary warning sure to be heeded.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Pride comes before a fall Thailand, be careful, you don't innovate, very little of what you produce is Thai designed and owned, that can also one day disappear like the snow in March and you will be left as a lengthened workbench for China where they dictate the price.

Ooohhh. Goody. ????

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Us Aussies  on the pension have seen our income loose 30 percent on exchange rates but I've been here for long enough to realize you can get by just I don't go out as much as I'm married to a thai and she works she doesn't get much but we are happy and get by try living back in Australia on the pension then you will see how good you have it here with all it's faults it's still a great place to live that's my opinion anyway

Your opinion is spot on in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:
  4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country,

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

sure anything is possible but that is quite a ridiculous extrapolation... 

I will say it's POSSIBLE, sure...  

OK, let's say you meet a lady and she says, "hey, someone took my money."  Do you cancel your vacation and run away?  NO.  nobody cares.  

We don't want to get involved with anything, and nobody will want to get involved with us....no matter what.  There is a chance it makes headline news, and that might affect a few hundred thousand people.  But not the 30+ zillion who are tourists.  

go home and complain, nobody will listen.  

you are are your own, so try to protect the one thing you care about..your money

3 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

George Styllis wrote it, it says so at the top ????

His name is under the photo too.

We need to arrest and deport this chap before he 

surprises us with more up to date news such as: O-A peeps need health insurance and to not hide because the BMW’s will find you, etc. etc.

Immi now have drones , where's  the wife ? , in the village, again ..

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The 800K requirement has always been there for single retirees. It's only been tightened up to weed out the ones playing silly buggers with dodgy agents.

Admittedly the baht has appreciated. However, I can still live here much better than I would in Australia.

YET, the agents are still in Business

Before it was 800,000 the day you applied for the extension and than take ur baht out

than it was 3 months before..than take ur baht out

NOW its 800,000 2 months before, 3 after and you can only take half back

14 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

YET, the agents are still in Business

Before it was 800,000 the day you applied for the extension and than take ur baht out

than it was 3 months before..than take ur baht out

NOW its 800,000 2 months before, 3 after and you can only take half back

I'd like to see some proof the agents are still in business. The agent I used to deal with in Chiang Mai says his business is about 35% down, and AFAIK he only dealt with legitimate visas and extensions.

On the other hand, I know several people who shifted to Cambodia because they could no longer game the system with the connivance of an agent.

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

so try to protect the one thing you care about..your money

Yes, I care about my money and there could be craziness in my home country too... unlikely scenarios can happen, and do, but that is very sad that you consider money the one thing you care about... and there is a connection between my money and caring for my family... but family are people and come first... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The good life slipping away lol, it's called being financially unprepared. Anybody who tries to retire in a foreign country on the cheap is a fool..

Being financially unprepared is unavoidable for some .  Makes no difference whether you're in a foreign country or your own .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ian Nagle said:

So dumb... the biggest losers are the Thai people. Still, that's no skin off the ruling 2% nose as, they plough their money into western real estate and international off shore ventures.

Which ventures ?