Thailand announces compulsory quarantine for arrivals from six places

Jonathan Fairfield

This is tantamount to a ban on Tourists from these countries :what tourist is gonna come knowing full well that they will be spending the first 2 weeks of their (for a lot of them it will all they got) vacation locked up in hotel room. 

3 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

This is tantamount to a ban on Tourists from these countries :what tourist is gonna come knowing full well that they will be spending the first 2 weeks of their (for a lot of them it will all they got) vacation locked up in hotel room. 

I think bigger problem is for those who transit through any of the 6, as technically they are arriving from one, so forget the cheap flights , only direct flights now at much higher prices, which in turn means even less tourists even from non high risk countries 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clearance said:

Not a problem to stay at home for 14 days, but what about the food? Even if we order it online, we need to go meet delivery guy.

Pay with credit card when ordering, and have the poor delivery man leave your food outside the door, so the poor guy doesn't die from having to delivery food to countless quarantined people. 

13 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

What about all the Chinese and Korean tourists already here, pottering around Bangkok? 

The Chinese Government is telling its citizens everything is under control and they believe it’s ok to venture out. 

The whole handling of this episode has been a shambles. There should have been an immediate block on any arrivals from risk counties.

Of course but keep in mind this is a army government. They have no care what so ever.

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

That's the whole purpose lol. Should have been done week 1.

Just now, BestB said:

I think bigger problem is for those who transit through any of the 6, as technically they are arriving from one, so forget the cheap flights , only direct flights now at much higher prices, which in turn means even less tourists even from non high risk countries 

If your passport isn't stamped in the transit country, technically you've not entered that country. Only a problem if you have a couple of days layover and actually enter the country.

17 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

the smart beamer will get you

Let's hope so. I don't want to experience "death by an Italian" or "death by an Iranian." I'll be fleeing any establishment I'm in if I hear any Italian spoken. They're dropping like flies over there. 

3 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Any reports on today's arrivals from those 6 places, if new rule started already?

Passengers on Cathay check-in @ HKG this morning are informed about mandatory quarantine, some of them canceled flights, others went on and learned on boarding gate from CX that "it's not exactly sure yet, since it's new policy", so they will know when they arrive lol...

Welcome to Thailand!!  Enjoy your vacation!!

Edited by moutamine

13 hours ago, harriott456 said:

47 since jan with 31 recovered and home...out of how many people?

and what about the travel to your home...how does that work?

Bts, train, taxi, bus !!

13 hours ago, harriott456 said:

47 since jan with 31 recovered and home...out of how many people?

and what about the travel to your home...how does that work?

3 minutes ago, stuarty said:

I would like to hear from anyone who flew into Thailand this morning from any of these listed places. What were they told about self quarantine and reporting etc?

No reports yet on the net from people on the death list countries - hopefully that is because they have been locked up and don't have wi-fi access at the moment. We are all waiting with bated breath to hear some stories. 

• Like 2

Me and my son have to go toHK next monday for 2 nights.

My son is here for holiday and like to go back to europe the end of next week.

Because HK don't give any stamp anymore in the passport, I think I have to give up another "save" country when I come back and passing the immigration.

It save me 2x 20,000thb

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If your passport isn't stamped in the transit country, technically you've not entered that country. Only a problem if you have a couple of days layover and actually enter the country.

Here is where It’s uncertain If they will look at passport or arrival from which destination , 

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What happened to Germany? I guess it’s just one of those things that make you go hmm. 

Not really. There is very thorough screening and control in Germany which is tracing anyone who may have the virus and not be aware, hence the low death rate. Other countries are not following this stringent process so the virus is spreading under their radar and not being caught. Over the coming days you will see massive changes in the virus proliferation in those countries without these strict controls. Thailand included.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

*With the apparent caveat that, the quarantines they're talking about here are SELF quarantines. So in the case of foreign tourists who presumably want to visit Thailand for tourism purposes, you kind of wonder if they're really going to spend two weeks sitting in their hotel rooms?

As I was saying, right on cue -- Chiang Mai, Surin, Mae Sot, Phuket, god knows how many other returnees are out on the town ignoring the self quarantine order. And then have the chutzpa to post about it on the social media pages!!!

The government should have made it a mandatory quarantine at government facilities for all of the S Korean returnees from impacted areas.  Expecting Thais, especially THESE Thais, to voluntarily follow the law is a bit much.

Thai woman from S Korea fails to go into self-quarantine, visits tourist places instead

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, clearance said:

Not a problem to stay at home for 14 days, but what about the food? Even if we order it online, we need to go meet delivery guy.

You don't have to sneeze at him. He doesn't know you're on quarantine anyway. 

Does that mean if you have a friend arriving from Macao (with a medical certificate showing no coronavirus) who’s staying with you at your home WILL BE RECEIVING a daily visit from Health inspectors for 14 days?

And exactly HOW is the government suppose to accomplish this task?  Hire AIS and True Employees?

Too bad intelligence isn’t contagious amongst the powers that be.

If they paid me enough money, I’d cast a spell which would work better, faster and be less expensive.

Just been published in the Hong Kong media now "Japan halted its visa-free policy for Hongkongers on Thursday, as a response to the coronavirus outbreak. Thailand, meanwhile, announced a 14-day self-quarantine order for all visitors from the city."

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-countries-impose-travel-restrictions-upon-hongkongers-including-top-destination-japan/

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just been published in the Hong Kong media now "Japan halted its visa-free policy for Hongkongers on Thursday, as a response to the coronavirus outbreak. Thailand, meanwhile, announced a 14-day self-quarantine order for all visitors from the city."

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-countries-impose-travel-restrictions-upon-hongkongers-including-top-destination-japan/

Although published today the article in your link mentions the policy on THURSDAY.

Thailand and Bhutan

Thailand also announced on Thursday that visitors from Hong Kong would be made to undergo a 14-day self-quarantine upon arrival, RTHK reported.

So again, ancient history. We need to hear from today's arrivals

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The position, quoted from SCMP,  is as follows;

SCMP:
Thai authorities on Thursday advised travellers arriving from 11 places most affected by the     to self-quarantine for two weeks and avoid congested areas.

If it was necessary for those in self-quarantine to go outside, the ministry recommended that they wear face masks and wash their hands regularly in an effort to contain the spread of the virus.

The places listed by the Department of Disease Control are: China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Italy, Iran, France, and Germany.

Edited by stuarty