COVID-19: Most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks, those that are more worried about pollution

webfact

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

Pity Thai people in general do what they are told when it comes to social media especially when threatened with arrest and jail

You're aware of what's happened to many that have spoken out about various issues in the past right? 

Hint, not arrest nor jail 

46 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Meanwhile  a man has been diagnosed with corona virus in Australia after being in Thailand I don't know if he was wearing a mask or not

Where was he , if anywhere before Thailand? Other than Australia?

21 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

I agree with all the posters above and follow WHO and NHS (UK) advice which states that masks are of no use at preventing disease, but if someone has it, it can prevent passing it on through droplets from coughing or sneezing!  This makes common sense as the surgeons who wear paper masks are more concerned about spreading any infection they may have to their patients.  As Thailand is clearly so effective at controlling the virus compared with other countries, why aren't other countries contacting Thailand for advice?  e.g. UK now has over 100 cases in only a few days and it is spreading quickly.  Thailand only 47???? in 8 weeks!!!!

Eating chili is the answer

• Sad 1

Masks evidently make people feel "safe". That may be a good thing: less stress? Could be a bad thing as well: feeling of invincibility.

The "government" doesn't seem able to do very much, except talk about masks. They are physical things which the govt can point to, and make it look like they are doing something.

Just looks at all the threads on masks here. Far more than any on the status of pandemic.

Just about every government "spokesperson" is spewing out a differerent message du jour. Wear them, don't wear them. Hoard them, don't hoard them. Make your own. Get prisoners to make them. 

The true measure of a people and the government they put up with is never more exposed than in times of crisis.

The Thai people need to learn how to make lemonade.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, smedly said:

good post but I don't think we are talking about N95 masks here - I would agree they are effective if used properly

It's getting tiring since there is so many scientific and researchers on this board who have done their research but I will leave this here for the few who have the patience to read and trust science: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Just about every government "spokesperson" is spewing out a differerent message du jour. Wear them, don't wear them. Hoard them, don't hoard them. Make your own. Get prisoners to make them. 

Part of the problem is many posters here just ignorantly start making statements about "masks," without distinguishing between the main two different kinds -- the paper drugstore type masks that fit loose on the face, and the N95 respirator masks that ideally fit airtight on the face.

The paper drugstore masks are mainly intended to prevent people who may be sick from spreading their germs by coughing / sneezing out into the open air. The drugstore mask should help contain that.

The N95 masks, on the other hand, are specifically designed to HELP prevent healthy people from breathing in germs/virus particles. If they're fitted and worn properly, and if other hygiene protocols are followed. That's why medical personnel who may come into contact with CV infected people are wearing N95 masks, along with all their other PPE.

It would help if people here stopped mixing and conflating the two different items.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's getting tiring since there is so many scientific and researchers on this board who have done their research but I will leave this here for the few who have the patience to read and trust science: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/

Tiring for you 

There are 2x types of posts here

- personal opinion (which for actual medical stuff is pointless),  we can pass opinion and have discussion about the merits of authorities being truthful etc but those are just opinions

- Claiming facts based on their own research from official professional bodies (like the WHO or the UK's CMO) or if the poster is a medical professional

you have posted a link to an assumed professional source

One thing I would add is that not all professional bodies agree on everything and their advise may change as the pool of data increases and improves  

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It would help if people here stopped mixing and conflating the two different items.

Starting with the government.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If they're fitted and worn properly, and if other hygiene protocols are followed.

That's a whopper of an "if". Actually two "ifs".

How often should an N95 mask be replaced?

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

along with all their other PPE.

Hmm. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems many people here are not wearing them, not just foreigners.

Sorry, but I trust what the CDC and WHO are saying about this.

wow. Be sure you don't spend too much time on the computer or you will miss some of what CNN is pushing.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

Tiring for you 

There are 2x types of posts here

- personal opinion (which for actual medical stuff is pointless),  we can pass opinion and have discussion about the merits of authorities being truthful etc but those are just opinions

- Claiming facts based on their own research from official professional bodies (like the WHO or the UK's CMO) or if the poster is a medical professional

you have posted a link to an assumed professional source

One thing I would add is that not all professional bodies agree on everything and their advise may change as the pool of data increases and improves  

I'm not really getting tired ????

I wanted to believe all the claims that mask are useless and the worst case serious research that I have found only concluded that there is little statistical difference between a surgical mask and a N95. Even the CDC who get cited are contradicting themselves so I concluded they have an agenda. The only source that get cited are from newspapers so I don't consider them valid. Funny how many peoples claim they don't trust the government unless it fits what they want to believe. 

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

How often should an N95 mask be replaced?

I think that depends on the use and the user. 

In the U.S., I believe I read that for medical personnel treating CV patients, the practice at the moment is to don a new mask pretty often because they may be an environment of high viral loads

On the other hand, for someone in Thailand who just wants to wear one as a protective measure while riding BTS/MRT or in other close contact spaces, a single mask can last for days if only worn for brief intervals and kept clean, etc.

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

I wanted to believe all the claims that mask are useless and the worst case serious research that I have found only concluded that there is little statistical difference between a surgical mask and a N95. Even the CDC who get cited are contradicting themselves so I concluded they have an agenda. The only source that get cited are from newspapers so I don't consider them valid. Funny how many peoples claim they don't trust the government unless it fits what they want to believe. 

so that is your opinion - thanks for sharing

it's as useful as a fart in a spacesuit which will not leak the smell until removed - oh and likely better protection from covid 19 than an N95 mask

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Here's the current guidance the U.S. CDC has for medical/first responder personnel who may come into contact with possible or confirmed CV cases:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-for-ems.html

This guidance applies to all first responders, including law enforcement, fire services, emergency medical services, and emergency management officials, who anticipate close contact with persons with confirmed or possible COVID-19 in the course of their work.

Recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

• EMS clinicians who will directly care for a patient with possible COVID-19 infection or who will be in the compartment with the patient should follow Standard, Contact, and Airborne Precautions, including the use of eye protection. Recommended PPE includes:
    • A single pair of disposable patient examination gloves. Change gloves if they become torn or heavily contaminated,
    • Disposable isolation gown,
    • Respiratory protection (i.e., N-95 or higher-level respirator), and
    • Eye protection (i.e., goggles or disposable face shield that fully covers the front and sides of the face).

• All personnel should avoid touching their face while working.
    • On arrival, after the patient is released to the facility, EMS clinicians should remove and discard PPE and perform hand hygiene. Used PPE should be discarded in accordance with routine procedures.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

so that is your opinion - thanks for sharing

it's as useful as a fart in a spacesuit which will not leak the smell until removed - oh and likely better protection from covid 19 than an N95 mask

It's not my opinion. I only post link to research that say that mask (any) do work at different degree. You can make your own opinion or post your own counter research if any. 

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Days? Two? Ten? Thirty?

How do you keep your mask clean?

There's no hard and fast rule for that that I'm aware of. It all depends on the circumstances and environment.

The normal advice for duration of N95 mask lifespan is geared to air pollution-related wear, and in that case, to discard when the mask gets dirty or breathing becomes more difficult.

But in a medical setting, the medical personnel change them pretty often, which is part of the reason hospitals and others are burning thru the available supply.

For non medical wearers here, I think one of the main things to consider is you don't want the mask to become a breeding ground for bacteria, etc... So if you're sweating when outside and the mask is getting wet with your sweat, or you're coughing or sneezing into the mask, that's when I'd consider it  to be time for a change.

PS - Keep the mask clean by not touching the mask surface with your hands/fingers, removing and donning the masks by using the straps, storing the mask when not used in its own sealed cellophane pouch, etc etc.

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the current guidance the U.S. CDC has for medical personnel who may come into contact with possible or confirmed CV cases:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-for-ems.html

•  

I think it's because the CDC and the WHO doesn't recommend the general public to wear a mask because most don't have the knowledge to use them properly or they are less at risk. So some peoples wrongly concluded that this mean that the mask don't work. It's probably the same peoples who don't wear a seatbelt because it doesn't always work or it makes them feel uncomfortable. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I think it's because the CDC and the WHO doesn't recommend the general public to wear a mask because most don't have the knowledge to use them properly. So some peoples wrongly concluded that this mean that the mask don't work. It's probably the same peoples who don't wear a seatbelt because it doesn't always work. 

And that there's a huge shortage of N95 masks, and the more the general public uses them, the less supply there is for the medical community. So although I can't recall anyone official publicly saying it exactly, I think part of their unspoken bottom line is, "we need the N95 masks more than you do."

If I was back in the U.S. retired, staying home, and driving around in my own car by myself in an area without any active CV outbreaks, I probably wouldn't worry about wearing an N95 mask. But here in BKK where I'm regularly riding BTS and MRT in very close quarters with people from China, Korea, Japan, etc, in that case, I make a different judgment of potential risk.

Not to mention that I'm now in the 60 and up age group, which is at substantially greater risk of serious medical problems if I was to contract CV. And I believe the latest advice from the U.S. for that group is also to avoid close contact/crowded spaces, which can be pretty difficult to do here in BKK.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's not my opinion. I only post link to research that say that mask (any) do work at different degree. You can make your own opinion or post your own counter research if any. 

you are not the only one reading from links and watching  mainstream news channels from around the world - they have experts giving updates and briefings - that is what I and most other people base their information on 

as for opinions about Thailand - well we all have them and just find it very hard to believe what they are telling people - it goes against everything we know so far about the spread of this deadly virus - it is much better to be open and honest about the situation so that people can protect themselves based on sound and accurate information 

Another problem with the masks is most are single use. Case in point, wife and I wore a 3M N95 mask on a 1h flight, hers has makeup all over the insides after that, no way to clean it. To properly use those, you'd need to change them every 15-30mins. Very inconvenient to be hauling a backpag full of masks all day, even if they were available in those amounts.

Simplest thing is to stay home if you can and avoid unnecessary contact with people. Fridges full of beer & steaks, netflix and binge until it's September.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Another problem with the masks is most are single use. Case in point, wife and I wore a 3M N95 mask on a 1h flight, hers has makeup all over the insides after that, no way to clean it. To properly use those, you'd need to change them every 15-30mins. Very inconvenient to be hauling a backpag full of masks all day, even if they were available in those amounts.

Simplest thing is to stay home if you can and avoid unnecessary contact with people. Fridges full of beer & steaks, netflix and binge until it's September.

Do what I did with my Thai wife... tell her to stop wearing face powder/makeup when she's going to be wearing her mask while traveling on BTS and any other crowded/close contact spaces.

I'm saving my N95 masks for when the numbers are in the 1000's with a local outbreak around these parts.

The heavy duty half face mask and goggles along with the corpse handling gloves will only go on when they're dropping dead in the streets.

28 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Pardon?The Chinese have been saying it's airborne for quite some time!About a month.

Just maybe they might be wrong...see this vid at  01:00

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/scientist-speaks-out-about-coronavirus-origin-exclusive-79500869767

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

Unlike the several instances of unmasked, coughing, sneezing, dripping with snot, farangs I have encountered recently.

Worst offender was in AIS while I was sorting out my internet.  This guy comes in with his aging Thai wife, who proceeds to do 100% of the talking, while this character sneezes and continually blows his snotty nose into a filthy tissue he kept pulling out of his pocket...in between touching every phone on display in the place...staff definitely noticed this horror show unfolding in their workplace.  

Not much point telling us...you didn’t feel obliged to tell him by chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1