COVID-19: Most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks, those that are more worried about pollution

webfact

33 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Pardon?The Chinese have been saying it's airborne for quite some time!About a month.

Well there's airborne and there's airborne. Sneezing will cause a plume of droplets that are airborne - for a while before they dry out or drop to ground. How long it stays suspended in tiny droplets forming an aerosol is another matter. I think during SARS it was tiny particles from feces due to a dislocated sewer pipe that got aerosolized inside a service channel in a HK condo building.  Nobody really knows, but my guess is most infections happen at close quarters when people sneeze and cough, not so much after the infected person has left the immediate vicinity.

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

This virus is not airborne,  PM2.5 polution is airborne

I would hope you have an authoritative source to support your assertion. AFAIK all methods of COVID-19 transmission have not been defined; however, coughing and sneezing is one of the most suspect routes. That results in microscopic droplets at head height. If that's not airborne, I don't know what is.

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

Does the type of face mask make a difference?

The CDC doesn’t currently recommend that the general public wear face masks to prevent viral infections. However, the organization says that people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 (or are being evaluated for infection) should wear a mask when they’re in the same room as other people.

This is an interesting read from a reputable source for anyone curious about face masks: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Facemasks are about as useless as Facebook in stopping this virus.

Read > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/

Educate yourself. There’s also plenty of information from past pandemics stating masks ARE useful. The Singapore, Korean, and Chinese governments currently say they are useful and are manufacturing masks for their people.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Contrary to official advice, most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks in order to help prevent becoming infected with COVID-19.

And based on an observational poll taken during my last visit to Big C and Makro -- "Contrary to official advice" most Thais are not wearing face masks either.  Wife and I do wash our hands often and will use sanitizer that we keep in the car after being in public.  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Numerous people commenting who had been wearing a facemask said they did so due to the pollution and air quality in Thailand, not because of COVID-19.

I have to agree with this.  I purchased a box of 3M 3223 N99 mask to wear outside when the locals decide to burn the forests down as the have since late December.  

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Facemasks are about as useless as Facebook in stopping this virus.

I have an acquaintance who used to work in South Korea.  Face mask use is extremely prevalent in Korea during this time of year as in the majority of Koreans wear them in public during the normal flu season.  And yet.... South Korea has the second highest number of confirmed cases of Covid-19.  Do face masks prevent Covid-19 spread?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

However, recommendations posted on the Tourism Authority website on 3 March asks foreigners in Thailand to “kindly wear a hygienic mask during travel”.

That's not what they said.  To their credit that are not spouting xenophobic pronouncements targeting 'foreigners.' 
They are targeting "international travelers" which could be anyone: Thai, foreigner, or otherwise.  And in other notices they refer to tourists.  Tourists could be foreign or domestic.  Whoever is writing their English language notifications and factsheets is being careful with their wording.  Unlike Anutin "Ai Farang" Charnvirakul who has public shown the world his scorn for foreigners, especially Europeans. 

So, props TAT.  Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

TAT’s recommendations for tourists

Tourists are advised to “travel safely” by practising frequent hand hygiene measures (washing with soap or using alcohol-based gel).

Kindly comply with the primary fever screening at attractions. Travellers showing any signs of the COVID-19 symptoms are subject to further medical evaluation and treatment.

Kindly wear a hygienic mask during travel, avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms, and avoid visiting crowded places.

If feeling sick, do seek medical care as soon as possible and inform the healthcare worker about the details of your travel history."

Edited by connda

On 3/6/2020 at 3:10 PM, smedly said:

since there have been less than 50 cases in Thailand and only 13 remaining that being treated - where is the threat

And you believe the *#%* statistics that the Thai Govt/Health Ministry issue on a daily basis ... get real!!! For 4X read more like 4XX!

• Like 1

Yes the horrendous air pollution in Thailand is the also the reason we wear the masks. We were wearing them whenever outside the home long before the Coronavirus debacle. Corruption and incompetence have their consequences...

• Like 2

I am wearing a face mask only due to pollution situation and follow WHO standards or advices from reliable virologists from Germany as only listen foreign radio, tv, newspapers and don't follow the stupidity of thai officials and government!!

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Thais will never get the idea that masks are useless against this virus

This is not what the government is telling Thais.

The Department of Internal Trade announced today (March 6) that it would dispatch mobile units to sell sanitary face masks at 21 areas in Bangkok and its perimeter. 

Presumably, they know masks do not provide adequate protection but consider a white lie justified to prevent public panic.

Edited by Krataiboy

1 minute ago, tomauasia said:
22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Thais will never get the idea that masks are useless against this virus

Not useless work in right conditions and l wear. And I don't listen to people with no medical degree lol

Agreed, they’re not useless if used properly... i.e. worn closely (no gaps) and changed at regular (hourly?) intervals and disposed of correctly, along with regular hand washing and sanitising and avoidance of hand to mouth, nose and eye contact. 

However, how many people are now wearing home made masks from normal fabric? or wearing the same masks for days on end which could be worse than not wearing a mask. 

There are many facets to protecting ourselves from contracting air-borne viruses (in aerosol), using intelligence rather than listening to paranoia is key.

People with a medical degree can become subject to the media frenzy - listening someone with intelligence and subjective commonsense is an intelligent outlook rather than suggesting that only someone can have a valid input if they have a medical degree - many / most intelligent people can recognise and handle facts correctly. 

12 hours ago, connda said:

I have an acquaintance who used to work in South Korea.  Face mask use is extremely prevalent in Korea during this time of year as in the majority of Koreans wear them in public during the normal flu season.  And yet.... South Korea has the second highest number of confirmed cases of Covid-19.  Do face masks prevent Covid-19 spread?  

You have asked the wrong question: Do face masks limit the extent of spread of airborne viruses? yes. 

They can’t prevent spread, but they can limit it, especially when worn correctly by a person carrying a respiratory virus (and changed regularly).

Can faces masks prevent a healthy person contracting a respiratory virus? if worn correctly, changed regularly and disposed of correctly, then yes, they can have an impact in reducing the probability of larger aerosol particles to which a virus may attach itself from being inhaled. But face mask do not provide 100% protection, only a hazmat suit can. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Not useless work in right conditions and l wear. And I don't listen to people with no medical degree lol

The only "right conditions" in a bog-standard mask is nowhere near an infected person. 

Edited by Krataiboy

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Rubbish... There's a reason every medical personnel dealing with actual or suspected CV  is going to be wearing an N95 mask and various other PPE, because they ARE effective.... IF the person wearing the mask handles it properly and in accord with hygiene protocols.

Right. But what percentage of people that you see wearing masks are wearing N95? The OP shows a photo of the worthless paper mask, and never once mentions N95.

Since I have witnessed a lot of Asians and others who do not have the brains to cover

their mouths when they cough or sneeze, I think a mask would help those around them

so their spit, and germs do not get on you or me.  That is how even a surgical mask can help,

understand a bit more now, Homer?  I have often read some rather, silly comments, when all

the poster had to do is think for a few minutes more.

Just saying.

Geezer

• Like 1

The reason WHO and others tell you not to wear a mask if you're in general population is they don't want to cause a shortage for those that are in high risk environment. Not because they are "useless". They can and will stop you from transferring the virus from your hand to your mouth and nose by creating a physical barrier. Any mask will do.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The reason WHO and others tell you not to wear a mask if you're in general population is they don't want to cause a shortage for those that are in high risk environment. Not because they are "useless". They can and will stop you from transferring the virus from your hand to your mouth and nose by creating a physical barrier. Any mask will do.

The reason some want to believe they don't work is because they can't buy any anyways! The best time to prepare was mid to end of January or earlier. 

Edited by Tayaout

8 hours ago, Tayaout said:

The reason some want to believe they don't work is because they can't buy any anyways! The best time to prepare was mid to end of January or earlier. 

Well, yes. Except I think the best time to prepare is always. Funny article in CNN today: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/europe/coronavirus-preppers-business-europe-gbr-intl/index.html

People will do anything to live in their own perceived secure bubble, including blatant disregard to the environment they are embedded in and outright denial. There is no such thing as secure, but, humans.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well, yes. Except I think the best time to prepare is always. Funny article in CNN today: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/europe/coronavirus-preppers-business-europe-gbr-intl/index.html

People will do anything to live in their own perceived secure bubble, including blatant disregard to the environment they are embedded in and outright denial. There is no such thing as secure, but, humans.

Yes, it's too late for mask but there is still time for extra food or medecine that is still in stock.