Multi vitamin tablet

lelapin

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

Ah somtam.

Of course.

I live here for a couple years already. Only ate street food the first year or so. I don't have anything against it and enjoy it. It's just not as healthy as it looks but it's still beat most low quality food from "developped" countries. Street food could be a lot healthier but most peoples won't pay the true cost. 

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Not at all. To give you some background (i'll take you seriously for a short while) i'm a 67 yo male living mostly in Australia, generally fit but constantly over my optimal weight

I'm a year younger than you, in good shape, don't look a day over 65 & have never counted a calorie in my life, no weight issues, never visit a Doctor apart from when routine work related medicals (compulsory) were required & have never taken prescription drugs not even a headache pill.

I started "supplementing" over 40 years ago as I was working in places where the food was barely edible, never mind nutritious, I needed to supplement to stay healthy and able. The more I have read and researched over the years, the more I am convinced it is necessary in the age we live in, despite what the MSM tells me!

I have yearly tests to see what vitamins I am deficient in, which are a lot cheaper than Doctors visits - I believe?

Thai food, I live in the middle of a farming area and see the soil that the vegetables are grown in and what they spray the crops with very regularly! the soil is depleted, it was never much good in the first place TBH. We grown most of our veggies on our own land.

Same with cattle, pork & chicken I see what it is fed and treated with! - then they cook it! with the cheapest oils etc they can get there hands on, its the only way they can make money, Thai food is healthy? many years ago it was a lot healthier, now - not convinced, they are not a very healthy nation - to be polite.

Some of the reasons I believe that supplementation is required - each to their own - stay healthy ???? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have yearly tests to see what vitamins I am deficient in, which are a lot cheaper than Doctors visits - I believe?

My doctors visits cost 280bht every 3 months (50bht for the doctor + 230bht for BPH medicine).

How much do your tests cost?

24 minutes ago, CGW said:

I'm a year younger than you, in good shape, don't look a day over 65 & have never counted a calorie in my life, no weight issues, never visit a Doctor apart from when routine work related medicals (compulsory) were required & have never taken prescription drugs not even a headache pill.

I started "supplementing" over 40 years ago as I was working in places where the food was barely edible, never mind nutritious, I needed to supplement to stay healthy and able. The more I have read and researched over the years, the more I am convinced it is necessary in the age we live in, despite what the MSM tells me!

Thai food, I live in the middle of a farming area and see the soil that the vegetables are grown in and what they spray the crops with very regularly! the soil is depleted, it was never much good in the first place TBH. We grown most of our veggies on our own land.

Same with cattle, pork & chicken I see what it is fed and treated with! - then they cook it! with the cheapest oils etc they can get there hands on, its the only way they can make money, Thai food is healthy? many years ago it was a lot healthier, now - not convinced, they are not a very healthy nation - to be polite.

Some of the reasons I believe that supplementation is required - each to their own - stay healthy ???? 

Again, medical studies show there is no benefit to taking vitamin supplements, except possibly pregnant women.

So you might as well throw the money spent on vitamins out of the window.

As for Thai food not being healthy, yes, somtum salad, small portions, chok rice porridge, omlettes, soup, this is obviously way worse than one can imagine, as evidenced by the many overweight and sickly Thais. No wonder Thailand ranks at number 158 in countries for heart disease.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-coronary-heart-disease

2 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

imo if you are eating a normal and varied Thai diet (high in veggies low in meat and fat and salt) and getting a bit of exercise and sunlight then vitamins are a total waste of money and merely support a large corporation somewhere probably in Switzerland ... but i'm not a doctor ... so (1) do you have a doctor and (2) has s(he) told you that you need some sort of supplement? I

i'd be surprised if the answer to (2) was yes ... any doctor i've every asked ... maybe 6 or 7 over my 67 years ... has said "if you are eating a normal and varied diet (high in veggies low in meat and fat and salt) and getting a bit of exercise and sunlight then vitamins are a total waste of money" ... but now i'm repeating myself.

You can say that again

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much do your tests cost?

65 of your Brit-ish pounds If I remember correctly.

It's actually getting harder to find someone to do analysis, the woman I use wont take on any new clients as she has soo much work from hospitals/doctors/local health authority as "they" now accept that many of their patients are nutrient deficient, so instead of filling them with drugs they find out the deficiency and give them supplements, despite the articles that people love to quote as it makes them feel better "medical studies" prove - yes, sure they do................

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Again, medical studies show there is no benefit to taking vitamin supplements, except possibly pregnant women.

Do you believe everything you read, you are aware how the Pharmaceutical companies work?

Guess you also believe the medical studies from Thailand :wink:

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

65 of your Brit-ish pounds If I remember correctly.

It's actually getting harder to find someone to do analysis, the woman I use wont take on any new clients as she has soo much work from hospitals/doctors/local health authority as "they" now accept that many of their patients are nutrient deficient, so instead of filling them with drugs they find out the deficiency and give them supplements, despite the articles that people love to quote as it makes them feel better "medical studies" prove - yes, sure they do................

This doctor agree. 

2 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

This doctor agree. 

Many do, the world is changing, Big Pharma have huge budgets and like sick people unfortunately!

The medical world is still lagging, what has driven supplementation is sports medicine.

Then you get into the murky world of supplements! just as corrupted as Big Pharma, some big health supplement companies are owned by them, finding quality supplements! - you dam near need a degree in chemistry just to find what you want.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CGW said:

Do you believe everything you read, you are aware how the Pharmaceutical companies work?

Guess you also believe the medical studies from Thailand :wink:

Somewhere there seems to be a disconnect, because study after study keeps showing that supplements do not make a difference, at best, and at worst, that they can do harm. 

Now a new study from Tufts University says it all again with this simple conclusion: “Use of dietary supplements is not associated with mortality benefits among U.S. adults.”

The study looked at data from more than 27,000 U.S. adults, 20 years old and up, to measure the links between dietary supplement use and death from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. They analyzed whether consuming adequate or excess nutrients was associated with death and if the source of those nutrients – food versus supplements – had any effect on the associations.

They found that getting enough of certain nutrients is associated with a reduction in all-cause mortality when the nutrient source is foods, but not supplements. There was no connection between dietary supplement use and a lower risk of death.

https://www.treehugger.com/health/another-study-shows-supplements-dont-work-may-cause-harm.html

Are you saying you don't trust science? Are you that arrogant? 

The confidence!

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Are you saying you don't trust science? Are you that arrogant? 

Arrogant, I believe differently to you through my personal research over 40 years, is that is what you consider arrogance, yes I guess I am.

Who funded the study? I could post numerous "studies" that refute this, I could even call you arrogant for not believing them - not interested, its your health.

Science - belief in a collective opinion - until proven wrong - "The confidence"

"The confidence" mines backed up by good health, you? :wink:

"The feel good fallacy" sure you are familiar, Big Pharma is.

Stay healthy ????

Edited by CGW

3 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

may i ask how you do without it ? ... in the interests of introducing a bit of scientific rigour into the conversation.

actually... I had stopped taking them for a while and not one to be terribly aware, did not think about it much but gradually I started dragging a bit and 6 months later started taking them again and saw an immediate increase in energy... once you are in the routine it is difficult to analyze as you don't have a "control" - - if you take the pill, you don't know how you might have felt if you didn't...