Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

deej

On 10/29/2021 at 4:10 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

She copied the number and  took my physical certificate, issued by my regular doctor, my residence certificate (used an agent, Immigration was a zoo and it was worth the 1,000 baht for two day service). 

Did my residence cert a week ago and only 1 person in front of me. I had everything ready so I was in/out in less than 10 minutes. (Actually it took longer to walk back-n-forth to my car than it did submitting the application and paperwork.)

Cost was 20 THB as I requested the application to be tracked via Thai Post.

Appears I saved myself 980 THB. In no hurry to get the cert as I will renew my DL once the cert is received.

Question: If you used an agent how did you know that Immigration was a "zoo"?

18 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Did my residence cert a week ago and only 1 person in front of me. I had everything ready so I was in/out in less than 10 minutes. (Actually it took longer to walk back-n-forth to my car than it did submitting the application and paperwork.)

Cost was 20 THB as I requested the application to be tracked via Thai Post.

Appears I saved myself 980 THB. In no hurry to get the cert as I will renew my DL once the cert is received.

Question: If you used an agent how did you know that Immigration was a "zoo"?

Simple, I had been to Immigration the day before to get my final stamp for my Marriage Extension approval.  It usually takes 10 minutes,this time 45.  Every seat inside the building was full.  All the seats outside also full.  Long lines waiting to get in.  I have no idea why it was so busy,  I had applied for my extension a month ago and there was no waiting.  This was only the second time in 18 years of living here I used an agent (which is across the road from Imm, and the parking lot was again full).   Do something good with the 980 baht you saved. It was worth my time to me.

7 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Simple, I had been to Immigration the day before to get my final stamp for my Marriage Extension approval.  It usually takes 10 minutes,this time 45.  Every seat inside the building was full.  All the seats outside also full.  Long lines waiting to get in.  I have no idea why it was so busy,  I had applied for my extension a month ago and there was no waiting.  This was only the second time in 18 years of living here I used an agent (which is across the road from Imm, and the parking lot was again full).   Do something good with the 980 baht you saved. It was worth my time to me.

Just so you know, when I walked thru the main Immigration area to go upstairs to do my residence cert the area was full too but as I said upstairs nada. Also seeing Immigration busy one day does not mean they are busy every day, Take for instance, the days before and after a holiday, or a Monday and Friday, compared to other days. Folks that have being doing business at Immigration for years know this.

Just because a parking lot is full doesn't mean there's a long queue for the restroom.

I am retired and have all the time needed, thus the reason I'm not in a hurry.

Been here for over 13 years and not once used an agent.......  saved a ton of THB and used it all on imported steaks and such......  yummy!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Just so you know, when I walked thru the main Immigration area to go upstairs to do my residence cert the area was full too but as I said upstairs nada. Also seeing Immigration busy one day does not mean they are busy every day, Take for instance, the days before and after a holiday, or a Monday and Friday, compared to other days. Folks that have being doing business at Immigration for years know this.

Just because a parking lot is full doesn't mean there's a long queue for the restroom.

I am retired and have all the time needed, thus the reason I'm not in a hurry.

Been here for over 13 years and not once used an agent.......  saved a ton of THB and used it all on imported steaks and such......  yummy!!!!

Actually, my intent was to get the residence cert. on the day I went to get my Marriage stamp (you do know how that works?). It was full each of the days I was there. I like to think that in my 18 years living here, I as you, have a pretty good idea of how things work.  The other time I used an agent was when we had to arrive at 6AM and Q.  Sorry, I hate waiting and although I am also retired, I have better things to do with my time and I am not concerned about that 1,000 baht I spent.  BTW, This topic is about obtaining driver's licenses and not about immigration.  Apparently we are both  pleased with our individual outcome, so I am done here. 

• 1 month later...

RENEWAL temporary 2 year license experience dec 2021:

I just copied the usual for each driving license (car & motorbike) and went ahead expecting to have to come back again later:

-Copy passport, visa, entrystamp, extension

-Copy yellow book or whatever address proof you have

-Copy Thai ID

-Copy Thai driving license front/back, 1 license on a page

Signed with blue pen

So 2 paper staples for 2 licenses.

No need for a medical certificate (which is joke paper anyway). No need to watch road safety video. The only test was a silly quick tell the traffic light colour thrown in between some paperwork. TiT.

Go with the paperwork to counter 27 on second floor where they check it.

I was shocked how fast it all went (relatively speaking).  Approx. 1 hour in total.

ps the new license is valid until the date of your next birthday + 5 years.

Just shows things change all the time. Now for the better.

Edited by Blablaat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thoeng Department of Land Transport, Chiang Rai province

Original 2 year temps in 2016 and expired 2018. Told them I wished to renew for 5 year aware of the gap in coverage in part due to Covid. Had a US license for auto, motorcycle and commercial vehicles. Had an active IDP with me. I figured if they didn't allow the 5 year I might be able to do the easy 2 year temp again.

- copy of passport

- copy of visa

- certificate of residency

- medical certificate

(I had one from my physician in the US with actual bloodwork. I'd considered an OA visa. It was less than 3 months but they would not accept it. Had to go to a local pharmacy and pay 120 baht for them to fill out a new form. It was a new form they're using btw.)

I had to take the physical response tests but only two : colors and reaction tests. Then I had to take one exam each for the motorcycle and car tests. Exams were on the computer and the English was pretty good.

At one point they sent me out to the driving test but concluded that was not necessary. Paid my money and got my 5 year. Very helpful if I didn't fully understand the process.

Er indoors coming up for renewal of 5 year license.

Any new requirements  nowadays? 

Copy passport, visa, entry stamp, extension

Copy yellow book

Copy Thai driving license front/back, 1 license on a page

Medical Certificate?

Anything else?

Thanks

21 hours ago, Thailand said:

Copy yellow book

Medical Certificate?

Anything else?

Thanks

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here though I’m pretty sure the drivers license can only be renewed at the same DLT office of where the original was acquired at. 

10 hours ago, novacova said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here though I’m pretty sure the drivers license can only be renewed at the same DLT office of where the original was acquired at. 

Wrong - any DLT in the country

19 hours ago, seedy said:

Wrong - any DLT in the country

I think that is correct.  But unless the applicant has evidence of residence in that province (COR, TM30, perhaps yellow book alone might do) I'm guessing he might be turned away (& possibly without adequate explanation (hence the question).

2 minutes ago, OneZero said:

I think that is correct.  But unless the applicant has evidence of residence in that province (COR, TM30, perhaps yellow book alone might do) I'm guessing he might be turned away (& possibly without adequate explanation (hence the question).

Couldn't find edit.  I've seen posted here of folks doing it at different location.  But I think I also remember one being turned down w/o current proof of residence presented.  Perhaps with proof of residence (TM30, etc), even in a different province, it is no problem to do it anywhere.  Perhaps best to go & ask ahead of time.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, Thailand said:

Copy yellow book

Medical Certificate?

Anything else?

Thanks

Yes, all the above was correct just add the fee of 505baht. About 1.5 hours.

8 hours ago, seedy said:

You need a certificate of residence. It does not have to be where you renew license i.e. you could talk a COR from Chiang Mai and go to the DLT in Hat Yai and renew

True.....  Over the past 10 years I resided in CM and I always went to the facility in Lamphun to do my DL. I did this 4 times and the most recent just months ago.... No issues/questions whatsoever as I had all the required documents.

NOTE: I chose to use the Lamphun location because there was hardly ever a queue. In/out in 30 minutes typically except for my very first issued license as I was required to take both the written and driving tests.

Does anyone know if it is possible to "renew" or change from a 2 year license to a 5 year license if someone changed from a tourist to education/non-immigrant visa? 

My 2 year license isn't close to expiry, but wanted to change to the 5 year license so I can get an IDP/international license translation.

Thanks

4 hours ago, PhoenixGalore said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to "renew" or change from a 2 year license to a 5 year license if someone changed from a tourist to education/non-immigrant visa? 

My 2 year license isn't close to expiry, but wanted to change to the 5 year license so I can get an IDP/international license translation.

Thanks

The length of your initial license isn't based on the type of visa so I doubt you can change/renew to a longer one until 3 or 6 months before expiration. Hopefully, for your sake, someone will prove me wrong.

11 hours ago, el jefe said:

The length of your initial license isn't based on the type of visa so I doubt you can change/renew to a longer one until 3 or 6 months before expiration. Hopefully, for your sake, someone will prove me wrong.

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean. People on short term/tourist visas get a 2 year temporary license only. 5 year license is available to longer term visa holders. That's what I've been told anyway. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixGalore said:

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean. People on short term/tourist visas get a 2 year temporary license only. 5 year license is available to longer term visa holders. That's what I've been told anyway. 

When I renewed my initial license, I got 5 years. I was on a 6 month tourist visa then, but that was many years ago and the rules may have changed.

4 hours ago, el jefe said:

When I renewed my initial license, I got 5 years. I was on a 6 month tourist visa then, but that was many years ago and the rules may have changed.

Oh, yeah it's changed. I got a 2 year license on a tourist exemption, and then got a  2 year extension on a tourist exemption. That's what it is according to the people at the LTO and the driving school I used to facilitate my licensing the first time. 

• Like 1

First license is a two year probation license, then 5 years. After 20 years of relatively good driving it’s a lifetime license, so I’ve been told by a Thai friend who has a lifetime license and says same rule applies to foreigners 

Edited by novacova

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

I have an expired 5-year license....coming in on some tourist visa, can I still get a 5-year license again or only 2 ?

Also, do I have to go through tests to get it that day ?

Depends how long your license has been expired. I believe that if it's over a year, you have to start over again and yes, you'll have to do the tests. Otherwise, the colorblindness test is all you need to do at the Land Transportation Office.

• Thanks 1

I went to the DLT to renew my 5 yo licence

Documents

Application Form

Medical Form from local hospital 100baht

DLT Online Computer Test Certificate

Copy Yellow Book

Copy Passport

Copy Visa

Copy Entry Stamp

Expired DL

Service was good, friendly and fast, the whole process took a little over 1/2 hour

If you are renewing a car and MC, you will need a set of documents for each

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, HullyGully said:

Online test valid for 6 months - takes 1 hour to complete and you have to answer 3/4 questions

555 I just took that "test". It was literally four questions, and their broken random function gave me the same question twice. One of the questions I got actually had two logically correct answers so I googled it and found there's actually a website with all the questions and the "correct" answers.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, previously got my license on non-O..expired during covid while outside the country (more than 1 year)...... been advised that I can no longet get a residency certificate from immigration on any kind of tourist visa...is that correct ?

As I know, sometimes different immi. workers give wrong information at CM office from exp.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to renew 5 yr license Friday 10th. All paperwork correct including the on line certificate. Application refused! I was told that 'new regulation' for holders of yellow book had to present the "Pink Card". Was told to go away and get one!

Edited by Saraphee
typo