Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

deej

18 hours ago, Barley said:

You don't need an appointment. See my post Nov 3rd.

I knew I had see it somewhere. I'm renewing an expired 5 year to 5 year licence.

Just need the medical certificate now, found out that Suan Dok will do one at the 108 clinic. Don't know the price yet.

15 hours ago, briley said:

I knew I had see it somewhere. I'm renewing an expired 5 year to 5 year licence.

Just need the medical certificate now, found out that Suan Dok will do one at the 108 clinic. Don't know the price yet.

I got it at cm hospital, I think it was 150฿. In and out in less than 15 minutes. Didn’t even see a doctor or a nurse, just a bp check and handed me the certificate.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, novacova said:

I got it at cm hospital, I think it was 150฿. In and out in less than 15 minutes. Didn’t even see a doctor or a nurse, just a bp check and handed me the certificate.

Maybe because I am too old but at 108 Clinic I had to see a doctor and that took a little over 1 hour and cost B300 for the Dr and B60 for the certificate.

But do love their self service blood pressure machines - better than anything I have seen elsewhere.

2 hours ago, briley said:

Maybe because I am too old but at 108 Clinic I had to see a doctor and that took a little over 1 hour and cost B300 for the Dr and B60 for the certificate.

But do love their self service blood pressure machines - better than anything I have seen elsewhere.

It might because they have me on record since it’s has been the only place I’ve gone, but it was so quick the last couple times that I don’t think they took the time to look at my record. I’m an old geezer too btw. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, Barley said:

My experience changing temporary 2 year license to 5 year license:

No appointment is necessary at Hang Dong Office https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rwy3NZeM5MCf8tYf8

As already mentioned do NOT queue up at the Info window in the middle, but go directly to window 27 for foreigners.

From 2 to 5 year renewal NO test is necessary (but from 5 year to 5 year watch online video and answer simple questions at https://www.dlt-elearning.com/ before showing up at the office).

No photos are necessary.

The following documents are required:

1.) Medical Certificate (original and signed copy for car and moto)

2.) Certificate of Residence from Immigration close to Airport 2nd floor (original and signed copy for car and moto)

3.) SIGNED copy of TM30 which usually resides in your passport (2 copies for car and moto)

4.) SIGNED copy of 1st passport page + visa + extension + entry stamp  (2 copies for car and moto)

5.) Old Trial Driver License(s)

You drop all this together with your passport off at window 27.

You will have to fill out a simple form with name and phone nr for each driver's license.

You are asked to sit down.

Your NAME will be called after a while.

You will be given a print out of your data for the license! CHECK IT - my address was incorrect - they simply took the old license address and not the one from Certificate of Residence.

You make a visual test for color blindness.

You are given a number. 

When the number is called you go to the window specified and pay for your driver's license (205 THB motorcycle, 550 THB car) - cash & promptpay, card with extra charge

You are ushered in to the musical chair room where the photos are taken and at the same time the driver's license is printed and handed to you. 

DONE (Total 2 to 3 hours right after their 12-1pm lunch break)

International Driver's License:

I wanted to get an International License too.

The clerk refused to even talk about it until I had my new Thai licenses in hand.

Then I was told validity was one year, cost for car license500 THB, and I have to specify the country for which the license was valid. Those restrictions were not attractive for me, so I passed.

I hope this will help someone. 🙂

Feb 20th 2024 Thanks, Your post is spot on. I renewed my 9 month expired 25 year car license at Hang Dong this morning unbelievably quickly: Arrived at 7:45 having done the online training video yesterday with the paperwork you listed. Waited with about 20 others until they opened at at about 8:10. showed the printout of the training confirmation with its QR code, was directed to counter 27 and from then on, just as you described except I was out by 8:50 with my new license.  Of note:

1. 7:30 would be a good time to get there - even a bit later and it may take all morning.
  2. Sitting through the Training Video and taking a screenshot or printout of the confirmation at the finish, is essential or you may have to do it on the day if space is available. (Actually, if you can get past the style, the videos are surprisingly good and emphasize situational awareness, predication and a bunch of good driving habits. Definitely a huge improvement from the past efforts: they even mention rear view mirrors...) 
  3. Rajaveh Hospital is good for the medical certificate. Monday at 5pm: 100 baht and took 20 minutes. Parking now much easier there.

4 hours ago, Greenside said:

Feb 20th 2024 Thanks, Your post is spot on. I renewed my 9 month at Hang Dong this morning unbelievably quickly: Arrived at 7:45 having done the online training video yesterday with the paperwork you listed. Waited with about 20 others until they opened at at about 8:10. showed the printout of the training confirmation with its QR code, was directed to counter 27 and from then on, just as you described except I was out by 8:50 with my new license.  Of note:

1. 7:30 would be a good time to get there - even a bit later and it may take all morning.
  2. Sitting through the Training Video and taking a screenshot or printout of the confirmation at the finish, is essential or you may have to do it on the day if space is available. (Actually, if you can get past the style, the videos are surprisingly good and emphasize situational awareness, predication and a bunch of good driving habits. Definitely a huge improvement from the past efforts: they even mention rear view mirrors...) 
  3. Rajaveh Hospital is good for the medical certificate. Monday at 5pm: 100 baht and took 20 minutes. Parking now much easier there.

expired 25 year car license

Do you mean 5 year licence....

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

expired 25 year car license

Do you mean 5 year licence....

No but I should have said 15 yrs rather than 25. Issued in June 2008 with expiry June 2023. DrivingLicenseexp2023Detail.jpg.2cdec498f1f4650ce82d6179571f1592.jpg

Whatever it was, I forgot to renew on time...

Edited by Greenside
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1