I think most credit card can be set to use a SMS (text) to send a code, and also to reply some requests. Even an old Nokia 3300-series can do that, if an old-fashioned 2G network is still available, otherwise a newer similar type with 3G as iMobile for less than 500 baht can do it. I have such one with a foreign SIM-card for my foreign cards.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, watgate said:

Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone so I can't get a text message from capital one asking me to input a number code they have sent me to verify my identity

Welcome to the year 2020!  Things have obviously changed since you fell asleep in a coma.  Must have been back in the 80s, since smartphones have been available since the 90's.

FYI, they now sell something called a "SIM CARD" at airports that allows you to receive texts, even for primitive flip phones.  ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

4 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

I empathize with you. I do not use Smartphones. I do not want to be tracked or have my data sold for corporate profit. What has happened is that it is easier for banks to demand you have a number they can text. Since so few people do not use smartphones, they don't care if they lose a few customers. You are a digital orphan.

The smartphone is a brilliant invention. The problem is the way private businesses developed the technology. They did it on their own terms without any meaningful regulation and we use the Internet and apps - THEIR WAY. The internet and social media do not have to be that way. Remember in most cities the biggest buildings are owned by banks, so who is in charge here?????

I appreciate some of what you say, but, to a certain degree, it's sort of a fatalistic attitude. 

First off, the banks demand it for fraud purposes.  That's a good thing. 

You could accomplish the same thing when your card is declined by calling your bank's security department and telling them that you authorize the transaction.  But an OTC is more convenient for the vast majority of their customers so that's what they use.

The problem isn't that the Bank wants to track OP.  The problem is that OP wants to use a Thai SIM on his phone rather than using a SIM card with the number that he gave the bank (which would probably incur international SMS fees). 

He needs a smartphone in order to receive the email that his bank is sending as a backup. 

Believe me, they have a record of every transaction you've made using that card.  They don't need your phone to invade your privacy. 

If you don't want banks tracking you, don't use your credit card or debit card to pay for stuff.  It's a little naive to think that the phone is the weak link in that privacy invasion. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Buy a cheap smartphone for heavens sake. Why make a big issue about something that is easily solved.

Why make an issue over a text message? You don't need a smartphone. They use same sms-protocol as a 20 year old phone does. 

• Like 1

If you have a smartphone with a Thailand phone number you can simply download an app called "Text Now" from the Google Play store which will give you a US phone number that can be used to make and receive phone calls for free in the United States and also send and receive text messages for free. You have to use the app once every 30 days to maintain your free phone number so that you do not lose it. I think they have I pay version on the app as well but I use the free version for almost 2 years with no problem.

For the folks recommending these services to get a US number, a lot of places won't accept them.  Some won't even take a Google Voice number.  Depending on their level of checking, they get the carrier info and if it's not a legit telecom carrier they ask you to use another number. 

If you did it years ago, you might get away with it because they don't always check old numbers but a lot of banks and other places are checking number changes (mine did on a few). 

What OP needs is to get Google Voice (free) and have his existing US number forward to Google Voice.  Then tell Google Voice to email the text message.  This avoids having to get a more expensive US international roaming plan with SMS and allows him to keep his Thai SIM in all the time rather than switching to his US SIM just to get the SMS message. 

He'll need a smartphone to get the email but I think that's the cleanest and most future-proofed solution. 

Have you tried calling your credit card issuer and explaining that you are in Thailand, so they should authorize transactions originating from there?

I've travelled a lot for work internationally and have been denied before because my spending habits can look like a stolen card.  I have to call them sometimes, identify myself, and explain that I'm currently in xyz country, etc.  

The only problem is that if your card/number actually gets stolen, some thief may go on an authorized spending spree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you tried calling your credit card issuer and explaining that you are in Thailand, so they should authorize transactions originating from there?

I've travelled a lot for work internationally and have been denied before because my spending habits can look like a stolen card.  I have to call them sometimes, identify myself, and explain that I'm currently in xyz country, etc.  

The only problem is that if your card/number actually gets stolen, some thief may go on an authorized spending spree.

That's more of a cat and mouse game. 

Most US banks will let you set up a travel notification where you tell them where you're going and for how long.  Typically, they allow you to be "traveling" for 90 days.   Then you would need to set up a new travel notification. 

Simple.

Unless your credit card company is not friendly to having customers that reside overseas. 

I've heard mixed reviews on CapitalOne from expats but some are downright unfriendly to expats.  If they have any reason to suspect that you are no longer a US resident, they can close your account and tell you to take your business elsewhere. 

If I were going to go this route, I would rather have 4 credit cards from 4 different banks and cycle them. 

Card A = Use Jan - Mar

Card B = Use Apr - Jun

Card C = Use Jul - Sep

Card D = Use Oct - Dec

Card A . . . repeat

Card B . . . repeat

Card C . . . repeat

Card D . . . repeat

At least you could set up a travel notification for 90 days for Card A and then right before you start using Card B, set up a travel notification, and so on and so on. 

Less likely to get caught.  That looks like a more normal pattern for a US resident.  Maybe you only use your CapitalOne card when you taken your annual 3-month holiday. 

And just to put a little more obfuscation on top, when I'm not using my cards overseas, I would pay for various items in the US (or your home country) using the card.  Like, maybe set up auto-billing any regular bills you have (i.e Netflix, US mobile number, etc).  Or if you order stuff from Amazon and have it shipped to Thailand, use one of your cards that are not currently being used.  Or if the price is roughly the same, book your hotels or flights it on Expedia instead of Agoda or directly with the airline/hotel. 

Or, you could just buy a smartphone ????

On 3/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, watgate said:

What about bringing my cell phone (not a smart phone) with my US phone number I use when back in the states and give capital one that phone number. Would capital one then be able to send me a text message to that phone in Thailand if I use my credit card in Thailand to purchase something?

Buy a cheap smart phone and download the capital one app.

they can verify through the app.