High Flight prices

UbonThani

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what on TV tonight but best US based estimate for deaths in the next several years are in the millions from what I have read.  Not Armageddon but a really serious pandemic.  

Yeah 50m on tv. A vaccine will be out by year end. 500k is less than swine flu.

Rich are conning the public again. Buying stocks on the cheap.

Big swindle this one.

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

You do realise its not finished. No vaccine yet. 

Perhaps tell us about it if you catch it.

Had swine flu. Still alive. This one is a massive swindle.

If i won lotto would buy up stocks real big.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what on TV tonight but best US based estimate for deaths in the next several years are in the millions from what I have read.  Not Armageddon but a really serious pandemic.  

Sort of on par with 'normal' flu then, lop?

Edited by daveAustin

Airlines gonna be hit the biggest so not surprised if prices are a little bit jumpy. As said, day, and even time, of checking can make a big difference. Op, check ahead for same flight running a few months from now and note the difference. 

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Look again another day.

Recently I looked up some international flights. When I first checked I was surprised about the low prices.

Then I checked again a few days later and the same flights (with a slightly different date) were a LOT more expensive.

And then a day or two later they were somewhere in the middle of the first two.

I don't know how typical that is but it happens so better check again.

I was told to do this a year ago and it seems to work better.

Some airlines use cookies so know when u have checked prices. The 2nd time u check a flight it knows and the price increases.

Perhaps clear cookies/cache or whatever it is and search again. Pls do let me know if it makes a difference.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sort of on par with 'normal' flu then, lop?

Not normal flu years but perhaps pandemic types - expect death rate will be much lower than currently seen (most cases are not counted now) but it appears to be much more easily transmitted than previous SARS type virus so a lot of people are going to have.  The good news is most seem to survive with rather minor symptoms.  But the unknown is how it will mutate and even if not serious will keep the horror reporters going in this age of social media and no oversight.  

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not normal flu years but perhaps pandemic types - expect death rate will be much lower than currently seen (most cases are not counted now) but it appears to be much more easily transmitted than previous SARS type virus so a lot of people are going to have.  The good news is most seem to survive with rather minor symptoms.  But the unknown is how it will mutate and even if not serious will keep the horror reporters going in this age of social media and no oversight.  

Zombie movies

Social media

Video games

People are paranoid over a bad flu.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, saengd said:

I just checked BKK/LHR for mid June with Emirates, one way, THB 10,200, that's an unheard of low low price.

Trying to fill the plane to make it worthwhile.  I bet that if they do not the flight will be canceled or moved to another day to combine the flights.  Just my 2 cents worth

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Trying to fill the plane to make it worthwhile.  I bet that if they do not the flight will be canceled or moved to another day to combine the flights.  Just my 2 cents worth

Who cares what their motives are, flights are cheap. The OP is entitled High Flight Prices, clearly the OP hasn't checked prices at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Zombie movies

Social media

Video games

People are paranoid over a bad flu.

Anything with a new name sensationalized by the media tends to get people excited.

I think what we’ll see in the short to medium term is more a draw down on terms of seats flying - be that wholesale route suspensions, reduction of service (from daily to X times weekly) and/or downgaging the aircraft from 773 to 772 or the like..  so I think their first line of action will be capacity drawn down.

fares I think is a bit trickier as that’s far more complex - it’s not just the fare from A to B (ex: LHR-BKK) but then you also have to adjust all the connections that are planned to/from it (ex: LHR-UTH via BKK or SGN-LHR via BKK)... and of course in these times “cash burn” is a larger concern.. so anything that staves off cash burn is something many carriers will be factoring. 

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I just checked BKK/LHR for mid June with Emirates, one way, THB 10,200, that's an unheard of low low price.

Strongly agree, the other day I was looking at Business Class fares from BKK to US for the next few weeks and the carrier I noticed with the largest fare reductions from previous searches was Emirates

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

How can they discount when they do not have enough pax to pay for the fuel?  The are not only cancelling flights but downsizing staff.

If they don't discount the prices as they normally do from late February, they won't have any money at all. People won't pay high season prices during low season. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If they don't discount the prices as they normally do from late February, they won't have any money at all. People won't pay high season prices during low season. 

Indeed - many will be going under I suspect - even more unemployment.

Sounds like the Thai strategy. When business is bad, raise your prices. The airlines are in deep doo-doo.

Be prepared for a major economic problem. The main economy doing well, the US, was dependent on the consumer as manufacturing was way down. The consumer ain't spending now except for emergency supplies.

The EU and Japanese bonds have negative rates. Will the US follow?

Our Dear Leader Mr trump says the virus will go away with warm weather. But it's warm in Thailand now, yes? Plus the history of viruses going away is that the following winter they return stronger. 

2 hours ago, new2here said:

While the spot price may be lower today, a large percentage of carriers “hedge” and I’ll bet that many have hedged at prices higher than today’s spot prices - so their true fuel costs are not really that much cheaper, if at all.

yeah they have always treated (hoarded?) JetFuel... and Customers, like toilet roll

Edited by tifino

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Sounds like the Thai strategy. When business is bad, raise your prices. The airlines are in deep doo-doo.

Be prepared for a major economic problem. The main economy doing well, the US, was dependent on the consumer as manufacturing was way down. The consumer ain't spending now except for emergency supplies.

The EU and Japanese bonds have negative rates. Will the US follow?

Our Dear Leader Mr trump says the virus will go away with warm weather. But it's warm in Thailand now, yes? Plus the history of viruses going away is that the following winter they return stronger. 

Enough. A mere 3.5k dead.

Roads 1.25m a year.

• Sad 1