Any Fishermen Out There?

350torana

Interested to know if anyone is fishing in the Kingdom. I am a mad keen fishermen but been away from home so long starting to have withdrawal symptoms . The problem is I have always been a saltwater fishermen . My father in law has a weekend retreat in Lop Buri which has a nice lake and canals , which i have been told are teeming with fish , .

Next weekend I am planning on purschasing myself a rod(pole)and trying my luck . Probably get a light six footish stick . But have little idea of tackle baits, or techniques to use. Should I be spinning or bait fishing. Always loved lure fishing .

ps, any adive on the wifey? she calls me a fish killer but has no problem tucking in to a fish deal for dinner:P oh well

I did some fishing on the river that runs thru Chacheongsao back in 95/96. I kept catching these fish that looked like 1/2 catfish and 1/2 snake. I do not have a clue what they were called. My driver keep laughing at me so I assume they weren't worth keeping. My thai was not very good back then.(not that it is good now)

I came across a web sight a while back that showed fresh water fishing in thailand.

I will look for it and post it when I find it.

BTW does your wife/gf get piss off if you throw a fish back. I get cussed out in english and thai. It takes her a couple of days to get over it. She is die hard when it comes to fishing.

Those fish you described sound like snake heads, are they dark skinned with blotchy light patches?

I am gonna do a spot of fishing this trip and we are gonna target them a friend of mine in KK has the boat, tackle and lures so saves bringing stuff with me, I'll pack a telescopic combo though.

Did a lot of saltwater fishing in Hawaii and loved that. Went to Louisiana on a trip last year and brought back a few freshwater lures (worms and spinners) to try out here in Thailand but haven't found a place that I feel safe eating the fish (fresh). I see the Thais eating the fish but when I even just look at the water they come out of it makes me a little leary. As long as the water is good, I don't see why the fish wouldn't bite a lure but ask the Thais what they use. Maybe when I find some decent water I'll give it a go. Have fun and let us how the fishing is in Lop Buri. :o

how about a fisher-woman?

i live on a small island in the andaman sea and we have a longtail boat and we go out and slaughter them as often as possible. now its too wet and kung lang (big waves) but next season will be out there and hopefully making some bahts too!

last season we caught heaps of snapper and pomfret all with hand lines. FISH ON!

• 5 years later...

Hey there 350Torana,

if you love lure fishing then there are three main freshwater species here in Thailand that would excite you. I'll just write their info down as well so you'll have a better picture.

The Striped Snakehead (aka Pla Chon)

Size: 1-2kg

Taste: Delicious

Lure: scum frogs, surface frogs, surface lures, rubber shad and spinner baits.

The Giant Snakehead (aka Pla Chado or Shadow)

Size: 1-8kg

Taste: Somewhat awful

Lure: surface frogs, buzz baits, diving baits (this is for a specific technique) and just about anything that makes a large splashing sound on the surface.

and The Spotted barb (aka Pla Krasuub)

Size: 1-4kg

Taste: Pretty good

Lure: surface lures, poppers and slash baits.

As for the wife situation you shouldn't worry too much about it. It's a Thai-Buddhist impulse to suddenly feel guilty about something like fishing. It's best just to talk as little about it as possible however, should she persist you talk about it just bring up a ghost story, that'll quickly change the subject. Trust me, I'm Thai after all.

Tight lines

Oz