South Korea to launch online service for Illegal Thai workers wishing to return to Thailand

webfact

South Korea to launch online service for Illegal Thai workers wishing to return to Thailand

8b52debb385e4228e3bbbdc1ae79a3aa_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has disclosed South Korea’s efforts to help Thai citizens in the country illegally who wish to return to Thailand during the outbreak of COVID-19.

Mr. Cherdkiat Atthakorn, Director-General of the Department of Information and MFA Spokesman, disclosed that the South Korean Immigration Bureau is allowing foreigners, who overstay their visas, to submit their request to return to Thailand to any immigration office. However, they are required to contact the office 3-15 days before their planned departure and the selected office will issue a letter of confirmation of voluntary departure.

South Korea will begin using an online advance departure reporting system from March 11, 2020. The form will be in English. At the airport, they are required to present the report, a copy of their bank account and a copy of their flight ticket before departure. Their criminal record will also be checked again at the airport on the day of departure.

South Korea has prepared screening at Incheon Airport, which will start from March 9, 2020. Screening equipment has been installed at three checkpoints to tighten the exit screening measure at the airport. He added that Thailand can request information on Thais working illegally in the country who apply for voluntary departure from the South Korean Immigration Bureau under the Memorandum of Understanding on labor.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Why not deport them and ban them from re entering Korea from 1 - 10 years dependant on how long they've overstayed there

At some point in the future they will change their mind about letting them back in, I am pretty certain on this.

They will be subject to Thai style scrutiny at the Korean airport which is only right, the Thais are doing it to the Koreans.

• Like 2

The Korean government says illegal over-stayers won't be black listed but, as they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Like most countries, Korean immigration already reject entry at the airport for hundreds if not thousands of Thais who can't show a good enough reason for visiting. (I know a couple of rather lovely ladies who tried to enter in a "tour group" that this has happened to.) I suspect that as well as a black list, Korean immigration will soon have a phi noi list.

One thing I can't understand is, if these people are exiting, why do they need to show a copy of their bank account?

P.S. The ladies I referred to are now "touring" Hong Kong!

Edited by bangkokfrog
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Civilised countries don't do this. ???? ????

To you and Patongo, do you consider the UK to be a "civilised", non draconian country?  Overstaying there is a criminal offence and leads to deportation and a re-entry ban.  Caught working there?  Prison sentence.

So as you obviously disagree with the re-entry ban for long term overstayers please tell me your reasoning.  Why should people be allowed to break immigration rules and then not face any consequences?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

To you and Patongo, do you consider the UK to be a "civilised", non draconian country?  Overstaying there is a criminal offence and leads to deportation and a re-entry ban.  Caught working there?  Prison sentence.

So as you obviously disagree with the re-entry ban for long term overstayers please tell me your reasoning.  Why should people be allowed to break immigration rules and then not face any consequences?

Quite true, however if you enter the country legally you can stay for the duration of your visa without having to confirm your location and 90 day check-up.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If you had a modicum of intelligence, you would see I am advocating upholding the law regarding overstayers, Joe!

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

They will be subject to Thai style scrutiny at the Korean airport which is only right, the Thais are doing it to the Koreans.

When they report to Korean immigration passport details etc will be entered into their system, illegals will not be going back to S.Korea anytime soon, Korea is saying this is your last chance to leave.

Post amnesty anyone stupid enough to still be an illegal will find life very hard if caught!

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

comparing apples and oranges.

In Thailand you are taken straight to a squalid 3rd world jail, no chance of sorting out your affairs out .

Also you are forced into shameful pics with smiling police that are splashed all over the media, and made to feel like a murderer

UK's policy is absolutely nothing like that

• Like 2