"Three things the virus does not like: 1. Sunlight, 2. Temperature, and 3. Humidity,"

Don Chance

On 3/10/2020 at 2:59 AM, Don Chance said:

No doubt there is some in Thailand but it is nothing like Italy or Korea. It is not multiplying exponentially like other countries. It would have happened by now.

Also look at all the open food markets! You are nuts if you eat anything from trays sitting out in the open. But despite this it doesn't seem so bad, you can't hide it if there are 1000's of cases.

you can't hide thousands of cases?  you sure as hell can if you don't test for it and simply rename it the flu, dengue fever, whaterever...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tlandtday said:

you can't hide thousands of cases?  you sure as hell can if you don't test for it and simply rename it the flu, dengue fever, whaterever...

Have you seen what is happening in Italy? Hospitals are overwhelmed. You can't hide that. It becomes a major problem when too many people come in, you need lots beds for weeks to treat some with this virus. There is major shortage of beds. This will happen in western countries too very soon. US is really bad because of private health care.

Is that happening in Thailand?  No i don't think so. Like is said you can not hide that. When it gets that big the government can not just hide the problem it becomes too impractical.

You can see the map Notice all the hot tropical countries have few cases.

Edited by Don Chance

On 3/11/2020 at 3:22 AM, HuskerDo said:

Sunlight.. YES! High temps... YES.  High humidity... NO!! Humidity protects it's outer shell. Get the facts straight. Some doctors are so stupid these days.

The virus is actually very dependent on humidity. It does not survive in dry conditions

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:05 AM, Susco said:

You think Chinese tourists stay in those malls 24 hours a day?

I heard they have closing times , and then even the last customer has get out and back in the heat an humidity of Bangkok.

Viruses love moisture aka humidity 

On 3/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, sirineou said:

I am there now. In Daytona beach is Bike Week, there are bikers from all over the country, right now Daytona is a zoo, we stay away from there. Do you think there will be a spike in cases reported in the next couple of weeks?

I posted this two days ago, Today they reported the first case in St Augustine (15 min from us by car) attributed to a biker from New York.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESnA7XRXkAIThJQ?format=png&name=small

This very interesting finding hints at the potential seasonality of Coronavirus: community-to-community outbreak has so far been limited to “a narrow east-west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11°C and 47-79% humidity).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESm9RTRXQAACFGP?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Traubert said:

Three things the virus has new found affection for 1. Italians 2. Koreans 3. Americans.

In short, anyone who won't go home when they're told and stay there. There'll be another surge after the weekend after they all go to church.

Let's not forget the Japanese.

This virus must have taken some pointers from the slappers at Thaniya Plaza / NEP / Cowboy

Went across the border into Lao at Chong Mek today. LOS immigration OK, went through into Lao, put on a face mask and latex gloves, weeeell, the place is always full of Chinese and is not really known for its cleanliness...Was met by a guy with a temperature gun, now that was a surprise, nothing at LOS side.

Filled in the Lao visa form and handed over $40, my visa is $35, bloke says "no av $5, go the bank and change a 20", ????....How odd when I can see piles of $....

I said.." No, you keep it, buy a beer"....

If this virus scare wasn't around I probably would have changed it, but I just wanted to get out of there.

Actually the place was pretty quiet, except...Yes.....A Chinese tour guide with a stack of PP's.

Anyhoooo, go back to LOS immigration, gave the guy my PP, he said face mask down, photo match, hmmm, something wrong, called a bloke over, they said face mask OFF, they fluffed around for ages....Fingers on pad, want to check my finger prints, so, latex gloves off, I looked at the pad, looked at them, raised my eyebrows, put my hand on the pad...After more fluffing around I was let in....

Soooooo, LOS side NO temp check, my mask and latex gloves were a complete waste of time, nowhere to wash my hands and no hand cleaner after using the pad loads of folk have probably had poohy fingers on.....Not impressed..... 

On 3/12/2020 at 9:37 AM, 5633572526 said:

Viruses love moisture aka humidity 

Thats good! dry & low humidity ~30% here in the North east! 

Edited by CGW

High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

March 9, 2020

"This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1