Biden, Sanders consider changing campaign plans amid coronavirus outbreak

webfact

Biden, Sanders consider changing campaign plans amid coronavirus outbreak

By Sharon Bernstein and Jarrett Renshaw

2020-03-10T031740Z_1_LYNXMPEG2906M_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

Democratic U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks during a campaign stop in Flint, Michigan, U.S., March 9, 2020. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

(Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidates Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders said on Monday they were consulting with public health experts about coronavirus risks in planning their next campaign moves, as election officials in upcoming primary states urged people to consider voting early.

Neither Sanders, a senator from Vermont, nor Biden, the former vice president, has called off a major rally because of the outbreak that has sickened more than 110,000 people and killed almost 4,000 globally, although public health officials have urged people at risk for contracting the disease to avoid large gatherings.

There have been 605 confirmed cases in the United States, with 22 deaths.

The winner of the Democratic nomination will take on Republican President Donald Trump in the Nov. 3 general election. Trump has said he would not stop holding campaign rallies.

"Every organization in America is taking a hard look at what the coronavirus means for their operations, and yes, that’s true of our campaign, as well," Sanders told a coronavirus roundtable in Michigan, one of six states that vote on Tuesday in the next round of the state-by-state nominating competition.

"We do not hold a rally without first conferring with local public health officials.”

Biden told NBC on Monday he would consider calling off rallies if health authorities warned they were too risky

"I'm looking to the CDC for advice on that," Biden said, referring to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "We're going to follow the recommendations of the experts ... and if they conclude that there shouldn't be big indoor rallies, then we'll stop big indoor rallies."

At a rally in Detroit on Monday, Biden's campaign provided hand sanitizer to attendees and press.

A "Women for Trump" bus tour set to be led by the president's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, was canceled on Monday, because of scheduling issues, his campaign said. The New York Times reported that sources close to the campaign said the cancellation was spurred by concerns over the coronavirus.

Several of the states holding nominating contests in coming days have adopted measures aimed at protecting voters from contracting or spreading the virus.

Florida's government urged voters to consider voting early for its March 17 Democratic presidential nominating contest, and Arizona braced for the possibility of poll workers staying home that day.

In Michigan, which votes on Tuesday, officials told poll workers to step up plans to sanitize voting booths and other equipment. Washington state - the hardest-hit state in the country - caught a break because its Tuesday contest is vote-by-mail.

CANCELLATIONS

Fears of the spread of the virus have led officials to cancel events and conferences across the country, including a planned Saturday event by Democrats in Washington state.

Arizona officials are bracing for the possibility that poll workers will not show up on March 17 because of illness or fear. They are combing through a statewide volunteer database to identify potential replacements if needed, according to the Arizona Department of State.

In Cook County, Illinois, which includes Chicago, officials are seeking the power to extend voting hours on March 17, reassign early voting locations and even change voting days, said Frank Herrera, a spokesman for the county clerk's office.

Florida, the nation's third most-populous state and home to a large population of elderly people, has 19 confirmed cases of the virus and has declared a state of emergency.

State voters who have symptoms can designate someone to pick up their absentee ballots up until Election Day, Laurel Lee, Florida's secretary of state, wrote on Twitter on Monday.

Florida authorities have emailed local election officials recommendations from the CDC on how to prepare polling places amid the spread of the virus. The recommendations include advising poll workers to stay home if they feel ill and steady cleaning of voting locations throughout the day.

In Orlando, Florida, a forum for the presidential candidates that had been scheduled for Thursday was canceled because of coronavirus concerns, said Carolyn Bobb, a spokeswoman for the AFL-CIO.

(Reporting by Jarrett Renshaw in Philadelphia and Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento, California; Additional reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt in Flint, Michigan, and Michael Martina in Detroit; Editing by Scott Malone, Tom Brown and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-10

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In what world will you see two or three candidates simultaneously endorse a candidate who quite frankly cannot even speak. Who appears lost during the middle of his teleprompter led speeches. 

It's just been proven that some of the so-called Bidens "mistakes" are in fact faked by those folk who would do such a thing and post them on the likes of Twitter and so on.

I wonder who would do that??

Luckily enough, videos relating to the stuff ups by the current CIC are plentiful and genuine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

It's just been proven that some of the so-called Bidens "mistakes" are in fact faked by those folk who would do such a thing and post them on the likes of Twitter and so on.

Luckily enough, videos relating to the stuff ups by the current CIC are plentiful and genuine!

AFAIK there is only one of the Biden gaff tapes that have been altered and that was a very stupid thing to do because the actual full talk was insane enough as it was. Cutting the ending off to change the meaning is a low blow that is usually done by CNN against Trump. I condemn anybody who does this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

"Breaking news", it has just been proven that Biden's speech and cognition are perfectly intact (based on the fact that there are one or two mockups, somewhere). 

That is your position? 

I will just end this off by saying... "you know the thing". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgjukoPkcE

1 hour ago, rhyddid said:

Whatever is good to take down Sanders and ensure Biden will be the Dem only candidate, that unfortunately will give a global gift to have Trump another 4 years to finish his global disaster policies.

The majority of democrats think Biden has a better chance to beat 45 than Sanders and that is the main reason Biden will be nominated. 

Of course nobody with any opinion can know for sure in advance. 

• Like 1

It is certainly the prudent thing to do at this time imo the down side is trump always looks like a senile old rasist at his ralleys so less exposure of trumps decline if that was nessary as far as the (establishment) instructing any body is pure bs we know especially now we can’t afford Bernie’s policy’s 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s a reasonable chance that after tomorrow one of these two gentlemen will be cancelling all their campaign plans.

Biden will stop kissing hands and shaking babies :cheesy:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The majority of democrats think Biden has a better chance to beat 45 than Sanders and that is the main reason Biden will be nominated. 

Of course nobody with any opinion can know for sure in advance. 

No. The DNC is run by their backers like the military industrial complex and the health insurance industry. They do everything they can to sway the results in their favor. 

If you and I were friends I would literally cut the friendship over this. I am just telling because idk maybe you have some friends who believe like me. If you really think Biden in his current state has a better chance than Bernie Sanders that is just lalalalalala territory that you can't come back from. Your head is way too far up there to even be considered anything, to anyone. Really man get a thinking cap, fast. Watch some of Biden's old plagerisms, watch his new gaffe reals, his stance on cutting social security and the Iraq war. He can't win... he literally cannot win. "Biden" just ran against Trump in Hillary! BUT this is the senile, half bed ridden, unable to make a public appearance Hilary. You just cannot believe this stuff. Or you do but deep down you know it is wrong. 

Edited by sucit
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s so easy to make up nonsense, but please where is the evidence of voters in the primaries being instructed by the ‘influential leaders’ to dump Sanders?

I am sure you would agree that "Media" has the capacity to affect perceptions. 

Most people get their information from media outlets controlled by special interests.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am sure you would agree that "Media" has the capacity to affect perceptions. 

Most people get their information from media outlets controlled by special interests.

Sounds like when Bernie loses there are going to be a lot of people feeling burned and reluctant to unite behind Biden to defeat the existential threat to democracy in the white house. That's a real shame but not worth nominating Bernie so that he can be labeled a commie by fox and 45.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like when Bernie loses there are going to be a lot of people feeling burned and reluctant to unite behind Biden to defeat the existential threat to democracy in the white house. That's a real shame but not worth nominating Bernie so that he can be labeled a commie by fox and 45.

Replacing trump is not our only , concern , we are not a one trick pony.

Do you blame as if we are disappointed, that we will have to wait another 4-8 years for real change? 

I Agree , a monkey would be better than trump. But should I like having a monkey for a president? (not comparing Biden to a monkey, monkeys are fun:tongue:

We will certainly be disappointed and like everyone else such disappointment will translate itself to a lack of enthusiasm. 

Anyway, I would vote for anyone not named trump, I might even vote for trump if he changed his name .  LOL

34 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Replacing trump is not our only , concern , we are not a one trick pony.

Do you blame as if we are disappointed, that we will have to wait another 4-8 years for real change? 

I Agree , a monkey would be better than trump. But should I like having a monkey for a president? (not comparing Biden to a monkey, monkeys are fun:tongue:

We will certainly be disappointed and like everyone else such disappointment will translate itself to a lack of enthusiasm. 

Anyway, I would vote for anyone not named trump, I might even vote for trump if he changed his name .  LOL

If you're standing in a road and a bus is headed towards you at high speed most people would feel your only concern at that point is avoiding getting hit by that bus. Or train if you prefer. You can worry about other stuff later. I'm confident that a President Biden if we take congress will be able to move some progressive policies forwarded alot better than a President Bernie who would have never had any chance of flipping the senate and is even a risk for losing the house. 

1 hour ago, sucit said:

Really man get a thinking cap, fast. Watch some of Biden's old plagerisms, watch his new gaffe reals,

Are they as bad as Trump's though??

When Biden gets to the point of stating things like this, then it's time to worry, because the CIC is on record as saying: 

– In 1776 we won the war because we took over the airports...... (airports in 1776, really?).

– On a state visit to India to see Modi, he stated that he didn't know that India had a border with China!

– Trump is adamant that he will build the wall to stop the drugs and illegals coming through, although facts, statistics and his own administration admits that they come via the normal open and readily usable traffic routes.

– At a Friday news conference at the CDC, Trump told reporters that tests for the coronavirus were now available to anyone who needed one. Yet just afterward, we heard from governor after governor and doctor after doctor that this is categorically untrue, with states in dire need of more tests. 

– Trump was an extreme vaccine sceptic who not only blamed childhood immunisations for autism — a position that scientists have forcefully repudiated — but once boasted he had never had a flu shot. A complete turnaround perhaps, or just plain ignorance.

– In discussing the Covid 19 outbreak and influenza, he stated that he did not know that people died of influenza. This when his great-grandfather succumbed to it. Even a child at secondary school knows that influenza can kill.

–  I won't go into much more detail about his gaffes, because they are manifold. Suffice it to say that the guy does not have the brainpower of a 12 year old, and that's being unkind to 12-year-olds.

If Biden sinks to this level, everybody should be worried.

I will add a rider to my post, because if the Dems have not been able to field better candidates than they have, then they deserve to get the current fool elected again.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sucit said:

It is so easy to see through what is happening in this primary.

The DNC is so afraid of the change a Sander's presidency would bring toward their pocketbooks and positions, that they are willing to rally behind even a non-viable candidate to defeat him. 

In other words, positive change would start happening for the people under a Sander's presidency. The DNC does not like that. They like the status quo, which within the DNC means "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your, to hell with helping the people". 

In what world will you see two or three candidates simultaneously endorse a candidate who quite frankly cannot even speak. Who appears lost during the middle of his teleprompter led speeches. 

And, you will continue to see move after move by the DNC that protects this place holder candidate. 

These DNC and other influential leaders obviously do not actually support Biden in his current state, they are simply afraid of the negative impact a Sanders presidency would have on their own lives. 

More accurately the Democrats needs the WH to enable a VP choice that will move the party left more gradually. 

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Did you see where that video was taken down having Biden backing trump? The wet and modified it. Go technology!  LOL ! Many more attempts like that are soon to fill the media I am betting.

2 hours ago, sucit said:

Yes, "running your mouth" and stating facts about the countries the US government has labled as "bad" is in fact political suicide in the USA. Which, the retort to that is, how <deleted> idiotic are Americans? It is ok to say good things about Saudi Arabia though, right? A place where people are beheaded in public. But that's ok! Because the US government loves the Saudis and the petro-dollar they helped enable. 

You are using the wrong verbs. I never said "instructed". Three candidates simultaneously came out in support of a candidate who can't even talk. Their name is the "democratic" party. Wikileaks has proved this stuff happened in 2016. If you do not see that as a DNC coordinated effort to halt the chances of a candidate they do not like, you need some better critical thinking skills. Their job is to let people vote for their favorite candidate, you know this, right? Their job is not to skew the results to the outcome will keep their pockets full and their jobs intact. 

I will end on agreeing with you in that Sanders could do much better. He certainly should stop calling Joe Biden his friend. Biden is Hillary 2.0 with alzheimers. Or, the most warmongering, establishment upholding would be president I can think of... with alzheimers... ok i took two shots at spelling that and I am done trying. 

Seriously? point 2.0 So funny that she was attached daily for years and years. Biden is only recently being steadly attacked, BIBLY difference. More like you are praying he ends up with her results me think.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

AOC is on record as Bernie's biggest backer that if Biden wins all of his supporters will unite to unseat trump Didn't you see her interview the other day?

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

People who buy into things like "labels" and "branding" are the problem. The country is inhabited by human beings who deserve to be served by their government. They are not merely economic inputs to be used to create "narratives" around. History will not be kind to all the idiots who traded in their humanity for politics as bloodsport.

Bernie absolutely had the best chance of defeating Trump, but the "narrative" is that the guy who would leave things m/l as Trump has is the "electable" choice.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-treatment-costs-america-expensive-2020-3

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/medicare-for-all-leading-economists-sign-letter-massive-savings-cost-2020-3-1028982592

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Bernie absolutely had the best chance of defeating Trump, but the "narrative" is that the guy who would leave things m/l as Trump has is the "electable" choice.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-treatment-costs-america-expensive-2020-3

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/medicare-for-all-leading-economists-sign-letter-massive-savings-cost-2020-3-1028982592

What does "m/l" mean?

• Like 1