Tourist killed after cliff fall - she bent down to get a fallen bottle and heavy backpack toppled her over

webfact

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster. Too little too late now I realize, given the tragic events that occurred, but as most tourists just visit such places for like half an hour and arrive by car, there's little reason to carry more than a couple of items. Everything else you can leave in the car...especially change of clothes and batteries/chargers. I too am like that...i tend to be under prepared more than over prepared (meaning I often bring too few provisions) but everything always works out.

Thailand has plenty of shops, you're never too far from civilization (find me a place anywhere in the country more than 50km from shops and restaurants) and there's little reason to over pack for a picnic when your traveling party probably prefers to eat at a restaurant afterwards anyway. Thailand isn't really a society or country known for spending lots of time in the great outdoors. Now if this had happened in the wide open expanses of the US desert or Australian outback, yeah, then bringing as many provisions as you can handle would make sense.

Anyway, as you say...hindsight. But we can all learn from such tragedies.

Perhaps as she was a tourist she was on the move from one tourist site to another. Leaving your kit in an untended (or not) vehicle is not always a smart thing to do.

She will have her own centre of gravity while standing which will change when she puts on a 10 kg backpack. It will change again lower when she squats or kneels down so that when she leans forward too get the bottle it is quite possible that the backpack put her off balance and sort of pushed her forward and over. normally she would just fall forward onto the floor, road etc but there was nothing for her to fall/hold onto and over she went.

At 75 while I am reasonably steady I have fallen a couple of times and there isn't always anything to grab hold of and own I went.

• Like 1