Tourist killed after cliff fall - she bent down to get a fallen bottle and heavy backpack toppled her over

webfact

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

How about she was carrying clean clothes, spare shoes/flipflops,  towel, water, perhaps food, chargers etc. in hindsight she would have been better off with the backpack beside her but that is what hindsight is all about.

Staying a bit further away from the edge would have been a better move.

The backpack wasn't the problem, it was the long drop!

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

I understand Aussiebob try say that..

Some white males really try to be idiot. eg graffiti and vandalism the public place. 

Also some YouTube show some white males be the annoying idiot for NO reason. And is popular, they think they funny. Is stupid.  

We have no graffiti in Ranong. Nobody stupid/annoying the public. 

Some Asian male is stupid, but not deliberately stupid/ annoying. Is different. 

Generally speaking IMO. 

This girl not deliberately stupid, is unlucky/sad happen.

TVF is for gladiators....there is NO forgiveness here, only narrative abuse...

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I choose where I I walk, the edge of a  100 metre drop is not one of them...

So you've been walking a loop in the mountains for 15Km, it's late afternoon, and the end of the trail is along a cliff edge.

Camp for the night then walk back next day?

What are you going to do?

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you've been walking a loop in the mountains for 15Km, it's late afternoon, and the end of the trail is along a cliff edge.

I Give up.... you're too smart!

OMG! This is tragic. Yes, a very heavy backpack definitely makes you off balance while upright... but when you bend down, I cant imagine...

RIP young lass...twas too early to go. condolences to the family, friends and the dear ones.

When I was younger and more active I was told that if you have a pack on your back do not bend forward to pick something up, keep your back straight and use your knees.

I have followed that rule never had a problem with balance. 

Now at my age the knees won't take it anymore :sad: but am still careful when picking things up off the floor :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Done lots of day hikes. Always take a light backpack. 2 bottles of water. As you walk the bottles get lighter. Unless you are camping out no need for lots of stuff. Near skinny paths extra care. Hiking 101. Really just common sense.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Walk slowly with care.  You can always carry a pack by hand if balance is an issue.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, billd766 said:

How about she was carrying clean clothes, spare shoes/flipflops,  towel, water, perhaps food, chargers etc. in hindsight she would have been better off with the backpack beside her but that is what hindsight is all about.

"How about she was carrying clean clothes, spare shoes/flipflops, water, perhaps food, chargers..."

But why would she need to be carrying all that?  A bottle of water doesn't weigh that much.  Maybe it was that immensely heavy charger that did it.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:18 PM, sanuk711 said:

I was wondering when this poor girls death would be attributed to the whole Thai race........& you didn't let us down micky55......:coffee1:

*** Looking at the Darwin awards for the last few (10) years (awards given to people who die through their own stupidity) it seems so well represented by Europeans & Americans.

If I count all Americans they are shoot dead by accident, I could say that THE Americans are stupid. If I watch some Youtube videos I generally think that the human race will not survive.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, billd766 said:

I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster. Too little too late now I realize, given the tragic events that occurred, but as most tourists just visit such places for like half an hour and arrive by car, there's little reason to carry more than a couple of items. Everything else you can leave in the car...especially change of clothes and batteries/chargers. I too am like that...i tend to be under prepared more than over prepared (meaning I often bring too few provisions) but everything always works out.

Thailand has plenty of shops, you're never too far from civilization (find me a place anywhere in the country more than 50km from shops and restaurants) and there's little reason to over pack for a picnic when your traveling party probably prefers to eat at a restaurant afterwards anyway. Thailand isn't really a society or country known for spending lots of time in the great outdoors. Now if this had happened in the wide open expanses of the US desert or Australian outback, yeah, then bringing as many provisions as you can handle would make sense.

Anyway, as you say...hindsight. But we can all learn from such tragedies.

• Thanks 1