Tourist killed after cliff fall - she bent down to get a fallen bottle and heavy backpack toppled her over

webfact

Tourist killed after cliff fall - she bent down to get a fallen bottle and heavy backpack toppled her over

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai tourist died after falling 100 meters down a cliff in the Phu Reua area of Loei in Thailand's north east. 

When police and rescue services arrived locals had already tried to help Chutima, 33, utilizing a makeshift stretcher made from a hammock and bamboo poles. 

But the tourist had ruptured a lung and was dead on arrival at Phu Reua hospital. 

A friend of the victim said that she was taking pictures with some other people in their party on rocks before they were due to leave. 

They were in the area known as Phu Bak Dai cliff. 

She bent down to retrieve a fallen drinks bottle and due to the 10 kilogram weight of her backpack toppled over and fell down rocks 10 meters. 

Then she continued rolling down the ravine about 100 meters. 

Efforts to reach her took time and by the time she reached hospital she had already died. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-10
  • Sad 6

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How about she was carrying clean clothes, spare shoes/flipflops,  towel, water, perhaps food, chargers etc. in hindsight she would have been better off with the backpack beside her but that is what hindsight is all about.

Hindsight doesnt exist if you arent alive. Leave the heavy stuff in the car. Put the backpack down. Risking your life over a water bottle? Geez. Common sense is all you need.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 8

Tragic accident,poor young girl,sick of all the experts on here she should have done this,that and the other,sometimes we as human just react,obviously she did.nt think oh i i get the bottle the backpack will tip me over the edge. Look once in India i was hiking in the mountains just me and a beautful swedish girl,we came to a cliff but found away around,on top,we bathed in the small creek,which cascaded majestically over the cliff erosion from the water had formed a sort of lip of rock that protruded out,showing off i guess i scrambled to the edge of this and looked down probably 150 metres to see where the water landed this lip of rock may never have born a human before it could so easily of cracked,sending me to my doom,it was not until an hour later when we stopped and she burst into tears,i inquired why comforting her,she told me she was so scared the rock would crack it hit me then how stupid i had been,see often we act especially when younger without thinking of the potential dangers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

the water bottle fell out of the girls backpack, probably a sidepocket and she bent over to retrieve it and the backpack shifted surging forward which caused her to loose balance and as such toppling over. imo

Poor girl, very sad and young.

RIP.  never forgotten

Very unusual for me to agree with anything that you say Steven but credit where credit's due, you're 100% right on this one...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Happened to me before, didn't fall down a cliff, though. The thing is, until this happens to you once, it doesn't even cross your mind that this could happen because you've never experienced it before!

That is exactly right!