Immigration officer on duty at Suvarnabhumi airport contracts Covid-19, reports Thai media

webfact

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

My bad!Presumably they should still be able to track the passengers he dealt with using the digital TM30 versions each country has of tracking individuals.

With an expected incubation period of up to 14 days, it would be a needle in the haystack search. Depending on his duty days on station, and of course certainty that he caught it at the place of work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhyamIhere said:

Let's continue to 'welcome' in all of the Chinese that want to come here!  Thailand wants your RMB.

Looks like they're FINALLY dealing with China, long long after they should have.

Thailand cancels visa on arrival for 18 countries, visa exemptions for 3 to limit virus spread

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Wednesday cancelled the grant of visa on arrival for 18 countries and visa exemption for three others to contain the spread of the coronavirus, the country's interior minister said.

Previously, nationals of 18 countries or territories could use their passports or travel documents to apply for Visa on Arrival (VoA) at Thai immigration checkpoints.

The 18 places include Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (including Taiwan), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, and Vanuatu.

Visa exemption will be cancelled for South Korea, Italy and Hong Kong, the minister said.

Perhaps it took a CV case finally confirmed among Immigration staff to get them off their duffs....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Reminds me that one of the most recent cases in Beijing was somebody who'd returned from Italy. You reap what you sow.

Are you 100% sure of who 'sowed' the virus?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am not surprised at all. Everybody is asked to screen their fingerprints and that is an invitation for the virus to spread. Everytime I go through the airport I try to not touch my clothes or my skin after going through the passport check and I am heading straight to the rest room to wash my hands thoroughly. Last time I left (early Feb) they also did not have hand sanitizewrs for customers at the immigration booths.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

hopefully they can track and quarantine everyone he processed

All the officers have a unique stamp number so anyone he processed is not only on the computer, but its stamped on thier passport page. 

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Hmm...headline 'CONTRACTS CORONA VIRUS'

Underneath...came in with symptoms of corona virus. I.e. might have a common cold.

.....and if u also read the Nation report..... “Preliminary report revealed that the staff had fever and went for a physical exam at Lat Krabang Hospital, where he tested positive for Covid-19.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Attempts to clarify the news with the Immigration Bureau, Public Health Department and airport authorities had been met with tight lipped responses.

Thai Rath said a press conference would be held to announce the details on Wednesday.

Why do we need a press conference.. just acknowledge it, why all the dramatics?

Or maybe you need time to get a poster made up?

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Exactly! It's not Covid 19 until he's been tested and confirmed.

....Go back and read all............ “Preliminary report revealed that the staff had fever and went for a physical exam at Lat Krabang Hospital, where he tested positive for Covid-19.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Might have to do with the weather, a lot warmer here than in China, South Korea and North Italy at the moment.

But similar temps to Singapore & Malaysia, who both have more cases, per capita than Thailand.   Singapore, significantly more and with a population of 5.6 million!!!!!    Doesn't make sense to me!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully they will switch the annual visa extensions by online application and documents submission instead of wasting time at CW the whole day which increases risk of contracting the virus.

Ah, I forgot this is Thailand... things never change for the better.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And how many people over the 14 days + did this IO infect? 

The officer was processing people leaving the country so they will be all around the world by now.

So many potentially contaminated passports.

The first person who handles the passport when people get to where they're traveling - immigration officers in the destination country.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I am curious why Thailand has 37 cases and my own country, America has over 1000?

Because neither country tests enough people. Italy has conducted 20x the number of tests than US. Other high testing places are S Korea and UK, both now reporting more cases. You test more, you find more.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Singapore is colder than Thailand. Don't know about the controls in Malaysia.

Singapore is only 1 degree off the equator,  therefore as warm if not warmer (definitely more humid) than Thailand.

• Like 1