Immigration officer on duty at Suvarnabhumi airport contracts Covid-19, reports Thai media

webfact

6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Money is reasonable reason for those with vested interests in the medical establishment to adjust the data to give the impression of a superior health service.Medical tourism is big business here.

Plus the loss of face for Prayut who said it was all under control.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Yes, I know all that about N95s etc, but had you read it properly, I mentioned the lemmings who all wear those green or pink paper masks which are worse than useless.  OK, IF a person is harbouring COVID-19 then wearing a paper mask MAY, just possibly, help them to not spread it to others, but as a protection against infection, sorry, nah.  

So sorry, but I didn't 'lump all masks into the same general basket' - I was referring to the ones the vast majority of Thai people use and seem to rely on as protection.  

For starters, in your tirade against masks in general, you never even mentioned N95 masks or tried to distinguish them, and the purpose they serve, from the drugstore masks.

But beyond that, your prior post simply stated incorrect nonsense like the following:

the only reason a mask is worn by medical personnel is to stop THEM infecting anyone round them and NOT THE REVERSE!

That is very strange. 

Within the first 3 month of the year there were over 3000 !!!!! people killed by traffic accident, .... nothing happens.

Then this virus, and everybody government official runs panic.

The most strange of all is....

All the people buy and wear fashionable masks with no real effect to protect. They should really more listen to people from "Robert Koch Institute" in Germany, who are capacity and real expert.

But as we know.... Thais.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

People have to pay to get tested and most Thais can't afford a week or two wages for the test

Supposedly, the government has said it will cover the costs of CV testing for Thai citizens -- assuming they meet the government's symptoms criteria to make them eligible for testing.

Rather, it's the NON-Thais here who likely will be on the hook for costs of CV testing, diagnosis and treatment, which the Thai government has publicly said they will NOT cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

An immigration staff at Suvarnabhumi Airport has tested positive for the new coronavirus or Covid-19, deputy Bangkok permanent secretary Dr Pichaya Nakwatchara said on Wednesday (March 11).

Seems all those who said just symptoms didn't read the Nation referenced article. Inability to read is a common TVF problem!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Supposedly, the government has said it will cover the costs of CV testing for Thai citizens -- assuming they meet the government's symptoms criteria to make them eligible for testing.

Rather, it's the NON-Thais here who likely will be on the hook for costs of CV testing, diagnosis and treatment, which the Thai government has publicly said they will NOT cover.

How about facilities to carry out the tests? 

How many people could the country test on a daily basis?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

On the other hand, maybe some have issues comprehending what asymptomatic transmission entails and the varying medical estimates relating to Covid-19 incubation and related quarantine that have been universally ballparked at 14-days for the best part of two months already. That and the fact they regardless of what any country has done up until now, this will keep spreading.

But yes, this is a Thai forum so I can see why those here that are either scared or have no viable backup plan tend to lash out at what they see as local incompetence.

Local competence seems to be even harder to find than new cases of Covid-19 in Thailand!

3 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

That is very strange. 

Within the first 3 month of the year there were over 3000 !!!!! people killed by traffic accident, .... nothing happens.

Then this virus, and everybody government official runs panic.

The Thai government's lack of dealing with the country's appalling road deaths problem is a crime. More than 20,000 people a year die in Thailand every year on the roads.

That said, the CV is a different kind of crisis, as illustrated by:

--disruption of international business and travel

--tanking of local stock markets and economies

--the potential for ill people to overwhelm health systems

--the resulting closures of schools and other gathering places to try to prevent disease spread

etc etc etc.

The Thai roads deaths crisis, despite its scope and appalling nature, results in none of those macro economic, medical and social issues. 

56 minutes ago, generealty said:

Ravip - You are assuming that he caught it from a foreigner at the airport. It could have been caught from a Thai at the airport or outside. There are hundreds if not thousands of Thais working at the airport, plus all the taxi drivers, bus drivers and all their customers. There is no clear way of finding out. I think there are more Thais having it than they are letting on.

Locals can be traced by their passport/ID details, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

How about facilities to carry out the tests? 

How many people could the country test on a daily basis?

Last time I checked the government's stats, there was a large backlog of people who had been tested who were waiting for test results, more than 1800.  And that doesn't even address those who might want the test but are not being allowed to be tested.

I do think the ability to perform the test is spread pretty broadly at this point among the major government and private hospitals around Thailand. The chokepoint, though, is that under govt policy, for a case to be confirmed, the test result has to be confirmed finally by one of only a couple government labs in BKK. Until that happens, no case is declared "confirmed."

• Thanks 1

What could happen  if somone get the virus wile in here?would be forced to pay for overcharged hospitals  bills?

What about coming back to thailand?blacklisted coz virus spreader?compulsory  health  insurance  for everyone aloud in the kingdom?so many things this government  is capable  of,got goose bumps  just at the thought. 

Fairly obvious it is far more likely he caught the virus from a passport, and the mask was irrelevant.

They wouldn't have any skin left if they used hand sanitizer after handling hundreds of passports every day. Perhaps the next step would be a UV sterilizer at each counter. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Fairly obvious it is far more likely he caught the virus from a passport, and the mask was irrelevant.

They wouldn't have any skin left if they used hand sanitizer after handling hundreds of passports every day. Perhaps the next step would be a UV sterilizer at each counter. 

The next step would be the same as the last one just keep ignoring it until it goes away which as Donald says will eventually happen.They will just deal with the severe symptoms as they are presented with without getting hysterical,there's really not much one can do to stop the spread without dissabling the entire world.Pretty hard to put each individual on the planet in isolation at the same time for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why the op states “ despite taking precautions like wearing a face mask...”

hasnt it been made absolutely clear everywhere you look, that a face mask is not an effective precaution? Well, other than by the Thai health minister anyway. If anything, these guys should be wearing gloves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

passports are extremely lightly to have the virus I am bringing sanitizer wipes to clean every time i hand over my docs to airport staff they should scrap the finger print requirement and allow passport holders some leeway to hold on to there passports while checking in and going through imigration

• Like 1
  • Haha 1