Thai number showing when receiving calls from UK

Matty6969

Before when receiving calls from abroad on my UK SIM when in Thailand it would show the number of the person calling me. I would never answer the call as this would be quite expensive but I could call the number back via Skype and find out who it was from or have a conversation with that person/ company.

Since a couple of months ago when called from abroad it always shows a 06** *** *** number which is annoying as I have no idea who it is from.

Has anyone else had the same issue and does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Matty6969 said:

when called from abroad it always shows

as I have no idea who it is from

I would never answer the call

Where do you know from that it is a call from the UK?

Maybe I didn't get it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

If a call is being made from a poorly configured sip or voip phone, it is likely it will display a local exit number rather than the originating number.

I've noticed Thai numbers (usually 06 or something weird like +66 and that's it) when people call me from abroad, since years already. Sometimes if they can't get through the first time, said caller would use their actual phone number, which would show up on my screen.

I was recently in Cambodia with my Thai DTAC phone and I paid for DTAC roaming.

My girlfriend, who has also a DTAC phone was all the time in Bangkok.

I called her several times. Sometimes my number showed, sometimes a local Thai number. 

That is obviously no answer to your question but it gives you an idea how "reliable" the system works...

I know that they are (mostly) from the UK because once I answered a caller who had called me three times (assumed it was urgent) and it was just my UK doctors receptionist.

On other occasions the callers have emailed me later to say that they couldn't get through on my number.

Also before a couple of months ago when it showed the actual number it was 99% of the time a caller from the UK.

Seems strange that before it always showed the actual number but now it's always 06** *** ***

I guess the only way around this is to have a Thai SIM to receive incoming calls.