SET fall 10% today. Thai stock exchange halt.

32 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Technical analysis works. Some chart patterns have an accuracy rate of 70%.

Every major  bank has traders that use technical analysis. There is a reason for this.

I think 70% is a fantasy but maybe you are right. I tried to understand it and I'm probably too stupid and too lazy to spend all the time needed. In the end, I found dollar cost averaging was better for me and less time intensive. I also think that short term trading is rigged against retail traders because of high frequency trading and after hours trading. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

Not a fantasy, just fact.

https://samuraitradingacademy.com/7-best-price-action-patterns/

The problem with chart patterns is that you look at a chart in real time. It's always easy to see a chart pattern AFTER it happened, however, to spot one as it is developing is another matter, price is fluid and can go anywhere. It does not have to conform to any pattern. Thirty per cent of the time even a perfect chart pattern is unreliable.

And in times like these with non-stop news about Brexit, Coronavirus, oil wars, any news item can invalidate the most perfect chart pattern.

And yes, learning technical analysis is a lifetime learning process and very time intensive. Sure, things are rigged against the retail trader, because of the spread brokers charge, fees, swap costs, etc. But 5% of traders still succeed. You want to be in that five per cent.

Of course making a single large long term bet is always nice when that works out. Had I known how badly the pound would fall, all the trades I placed could have gone in a shorting of the pound long term. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Logosone said:

I don't think so.

If you have a long position and the market is going down 400 pips in a few days and keeps going down not selling will mean you just increase your losses and just blow up your account.

Better to sell to mitigate losses.

I you mean a long position as in in the green, I suppose you could sell and collect, but if your position is short, e.g. in the red, then best sit on the fence, while collecting the dividends, while buying while the market is on the down, because it will eventually rebound and also collecting more of the dividends while waiting, after all the banks are paying absolutely nothing at the moment.

The above said, I have reached my level of no more buying, as I have to leave reserves to survive on for the next 7 years, and greed won't get the better of me ????

See you on the up.

23 hours ago, Logosone said:

I don't think so.

If you have a long position and the market is going down 400 pips in a few days and keeps going down not selling will mean you just increase your losses and just blow up your account.

Better to sell to mitigate losses.

You only have a loss when you take your loss e.g. Sell at a loss.

If you sell because you know that the market will keep going down, you must have a marvellous crystal ball

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I you mean a long position as in in the green, I suppose you could sell and collect, but if your position is short, e.g. in the red, then best sit on the fence, while collecting the dividends, while buying while the market is on the down, because it will eventually rebound and also collecting more of the dividends while waiting, after all the banks are paying absolutely nothing at the moment.

The above said, I have reached my level of no more buying, as I have to leave reserves to survive on for the next 7 years, and greed won't get the better of me ????

See you on the up.

Sorry, by 'long' I meant a position betting that say GBP USD would go up.  If the pair then goes down 400 pips sitting on the fence and doing nothing will mean you blow up your account. 

So better to cut losses and exit that trade.

That's what I meant by saying sometimes it's okay to sell when the market is falling. To cut losses.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

You only have a loss when you take your loss e.g. Sell at a loss.

If you sell because you know that the market will keep going down, you must have a marvellous crystal ball

In Forex you will have a loss when the broker makes margin calls because the amount on your account is no longer sufficient collateral for the trade you are in.

This happens when you are long but your pair is going south at the rate of 400 pips. 

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can tell you two days ago I was pretty sure the market will keep going down for some pairs.

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I bought a couple books but never understood how TA could give me an advantage. My ex-roommate was telling me it's the ultimate way. I just bought and hodl while he spent hours in front of his charts. He is still working his day job and I'm in Thailand... 

There's a common mistake many make when trying TA: they try like crazy to fit trend lines or imaginary patterns to the prices in hopes of finding one that fits their bias. When done objectively, it's just about as boring as watching grass grow and very rarely offers any entry/exit signals.

With the advent of AI and quant trading the crowd psychology that created those patterns isn't there anymore anyway. Computers don't have fear or greed.

On 3/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, DrTuner said:

Sell!Sell! ????

Good afternoon Doctor.

i hope you listen to Yinn advice last week. I tell you sell on the day it up 7%. Now today it go down a lot. 

If you listen to Yinn= you win. 

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Good afternoon Doctor.

i hope you listen to Yinn advice last week. I tell you sell on the day it up 7%. Now today it go down a lot. 

If you listen to Yinn= you win. 

You should put your own money then you will get rich quick. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tayaout said:

You should put your own money then you will get rich quick. 

Should.

But invest my business will be more rich. Sure. Can make more than 10% sure.

Delay my business because coronavirus. Plan to open October last year, but delay for governor election, February this year. 

Very lucky not open yet, because must pay many worker,full rent etc. etc

So lucky!!!!

Now wait. Will be easy to find good worker when open. 

Disappointment, but lucky. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I tell you to sell on going up day.

Now what happen.

Will win. You should listen right?

Hope you ok. (You Aussie right? or Greece?) 

Never sell when stocks going up, unless you need the money, maybe in one month time for some stocks, others longer, when everybody had enough and start to go back to normality like China who started this, yes they dropped big time because close country down, now that they back to normal and the rest of the world going down as this spreads, China buying up and making a lot of money as planned....lol, different story though.

I not listen, because not need to sell, maybe when make a lot of money will sell, maybe a year when very up more ????

Me ok, born in Australia from European parents (Greece/Cyprus), hanhom man, EurAsian daughters, hanhom like their papa ????

Hope you ok and win too.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, 4MyEgo said:

See you on the up.

Sabai dee Mai?

On 3/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, Logosone said:

Sorry, by 'long' I meant a position betting that say GBP USD would go up.  If the pair then goes down 400 pips sitting on the fence and doing nothing will mean you blow up your account. 

So better to cut losses and exit that trade.

That's what I meant by saying sometimes it's okay to sell when the market is falling. To cut losses.

Let's face it, those who didn't sell and take profits in the last few years were greedy and don't understand simple economics, bull cycles etc. I mean really, an 11 year bull market based on a ponzi scheme of printing loads of money. How some intelligent friends i know didn't listen to my advice at new year and the year before beats me. They did know I'm sure but gave weird reasons like having to pay tax if they cashed out. They are all mad now. I predicted the dow to fall to 22k last week and 15 k withing the month. I actually think now it could go to 11k in the next 2 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Sabai dee Mai?

Cannot help self, buying more last 3 days, but no more now otherwise I might make too much money.

Two stocks went up in the last 2 days, but I didn't sell, in my draw for one years time to look at where the stocks are, hopefully doubled in value, can't be that difficult to reach that target.

Ask me in a year how my stocks are and I will tell you, 20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90 or 100% up, not down ????

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Cannot help self, buying more last 3 days, but no more now otherwise I might make too much money.

You say that before already! ????

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Two stocks went up in the last 2 days, but I didn't sell, in my draw for one years time to look at where the stocks are, hopefully doubled in value, can't be that difficult to reach that target.

Ask me in a year how my stocks are and I will tell you, 20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90 or 100% up, not down ????

Ok, in one year I ask you %.

And today % is?

SET down little today....

3F09084C-8C93-474F-8806-BCA6193A0E4A.png

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok, in one year I ask you %.

And today % is?

SET down little today....

OK.

% doesn't matter, because this is an opportunity to buy.

I only invest in ASX and looks like tomorrow I might buy 50k of Qantas if I can pick it up for $2 or less, it is 2/3's down, but is a very strong company and when things go back to normal, a year or more, will double my money easily, maybe you buy some too ?

Chok dee

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

OK.

% doesn't matter, because this is an opportunity to buy.

You say ask me one year.

But why to say now?

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I only invest in ASX and looks like tomorrow I might buy 50k of Qantas if I can pick it up for $2 or less, it is 2/3's down, but is a very strong company and when things go back to normal, a year or more, will double my money easily, maybe you buy some too ?

Chok dee

Two time you already say no more buy!!!

Now you want buy tomorrow!!! 

Again.

if thai person buy share and get income from countrys outside Thailand = NO TAX.

share market good way if lazy. Should 5-20% profit per year. 

But if you owner small business can make money more fast. But must work hard. 

On 3/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, URMySunshine said:

But if you are an uber bear then this could presage a decade long depression. So they are are still not cheap. Depends whether your glass is half full or empty. 

Image result for depression stock market graph

The difference between any other major crash and now is that now there were/are good underlying business fundamentals - this is major blip due to the virus. As soon as things calm down, a treatment is manufactured, the peak is over and vaccine is found my guess is that the stock market will have fully rebounded by then, i.e. gradually and upto 12-18 months from now.

Stocks sure do look cheap right now!

Edited by NightSky

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You say ask me one year.

But why to say now?

Two time you already say no more buy!!!

Now you want buy tomorrow!!! 

Again.

if thai person buy share and get income from countrys outside Thailand = NO TAX.

share market good way if lazy. Should 5-20% profit per year. 

But if you owner small business can make money more fast. But must work hard. 

I know, I cannot help myself to buy more, it's the opportunity to make money, markets drop and they rise as will this one and when it does, that will be the time to make serious money.

Before this sharp fall making about 12% in a good year tax free, on average 8% which is good for me.

Aussie $ gone to $hit lucky I don't have to change any till October, hopefully $ back up a bit otherwise not good for me, but with win from stock market will be ok.

Stock market is a good way, not lazy, worked all my life, now time to be lazy and make money, owning a business ties you down and in this situation, not good at all, stock market, up/down/merry go round, but always make money, can go on holiday not have to worry about staff or closing business, check markets in morning after or before breakfast and then have the rest of the day off ????

One year ok, hopefully be rich, maybe poor, but must have hope, because without hope, we have no hope and Bob Hope, he die a long time ago.