Visas on arrival being denied 18 nationalities

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

If Thailand stopped all VOA what is the Visa  I get on  Arrival  from America?

You kind of have to wonder, how long it's going to be before the U.S., with its worsening CV situation, gets added to Thailand's lists for either...

--no more visa exempt entry, and/or

--14 day quarantine for all arrivals

17 minutes ago, P100 said:

That picture does not show visa on arrival, these entry stamps are for all, also those arriving from visa exempted counties... mind the difference, topic was VoA...

Ask Thai PBS about it. The new team did not post the immage.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I saw that. But what he didn't address was that, as far as I remember, Ebola had a close to 100 percent fatality rate, whereas Covid19 has a very tiny fatality rate. Very very VERY big difference. With Covid19 you get a flu-type illness (okay, which is probably (?) more easily spread than flu), but that's all it is for most. And in a few days it's gone. The ease of it spreading is the problem, not the illness it causes.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

About 81% of people who are infected with the coronavirus have mild cases of COVID-19, according to a study published Feb. 18 by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. About 13.8% report severe illness, meaning they have shortness of breath, or require supplemental oxygen, and about 4.7% are critical, meaning they face respiratory failure, multi-organ failure or septic shock. The data thus far suggests that only around 2.3% of people infected with COVID-19 die from the virus. People who are older or have underlying health conditions seem to be most at risk of having severe disease or complications.

I've seen U.S. experts lately suggesting the death rate in the U.S. from this could end up being around the 1 percent range over time among those infected, which would be a huge number given the population in the U.S.

54 minutes ago, Seattle2k said:

From Thai Embassy website, "TRANSIT PASSENGERS:  Passengers transiting these countries for fewer than 12 hours do not have to present a health certificate or fill out the T-8 questionnaire.  They will be subject to enhanced screening.  Passengers transiting these countries for more than 12 hours will be treated as if they are passengers arriving from those designated locations."    The countries they're referring to are "China, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, and Iran"

ref:https://th.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Yeah, but the Thai gov't, its embassies, and airports are all in a state of massive confusion. If one wants to transfer through places like Italy or China, one is just asking for trouble. It just makes you look scarier and/or more undesirable when you have to fill out on forms where your last flight originated. If one has a choice, I would recommend, as I already did to the OP, that one choose to transit through a country that is not even on the death list. But, hey, everyone can do as they like. Personally, I never transfer through China, period, even when the world is peachy. 

Also, other sources yesterday state clearly that everyone, period, has to submit a T-8 now, which contradicts what is written above, so with that type of confusion coming from the Thai gov't, why not choose the route that would have the least chance of trouble for you? 

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You kind of have to wonder, how long it's going to be before the U.S., with its worsening CV situation, gets added to Thailand's lists for either...

--no more visa exempt entry, and/or

--14 day quarantine for all arrivals

I'm wondering too.  I live in Seattle, near the US "cv epicenter", and have a trip to Thailand, starting April 10th.   I'm checking the embassy site daily.

2 hours ago, roderick17 said:

Its strange, not a single case of the Corona virus has been reported in Papua New Guinea  and yet there country is now declared as high risk !!  

More to the point .....India !

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Seattle2k said:

I'm wondering too.  I live in Seattle, near the US "cv epicenter", and have a trip to Thailand, starting April 10th.   I'm checking the embassy site daily.

Well, if Thailand ends up adding the U.S. to either of its CV related lists (no visa exempt or 14-day quarantine for arrivals), the announcement initially would come out of the TH government here, and I'm pretty sure would be quickly reported here on TVF.

13 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

Yeah, but the Thai gov't, its embassies, and airports are all in a state of massive confusion. If one wants to transfer through places like Italy or China, one is just asking for trouble. It just makes you look scarier and/or more undesirable when you have to fill out on forms where your last flight originated. If one has a choice, I would recommend, as I already did to the OP, that one choose to transit through a country that is not even on the death list. But, hey, everyone can do as they like. Personally, I never transfer through China, period, even when the world is peachy. 

Also, other sources yesterday state clearly that everyone, period, has to submit a T-8 now, which contradicts what is written above, so with that type of confusion coming from the Thai gov't, why not choose the route that would have the least chance of trouble for you? 

A T.8 is really no big deal.   I've always had to fill out a T.8, when arriving.  Now, they're just requiring it to be done through app, instead of on the paper card (quicker process than having the Customs Agent enter it in to the computer, and limits the Agent's exposure).  The new T.8 also asks which previous countries you visited in the past 2 weeks, and if you have any abnormal medical symptoms.

A reminder this topic is about the visas on arrival being canceled. Any post about anything other than that will be removed.

If you want to discuss Corvid 19 there are many topics in the news forums about it.

I arrived in Phuket last night or early morning. I have a single entry tourist Visa from the embassy in Canada. I got it last Thursday with nothing said even though they knew my travel plans. Delta Airlines in Toronto questioned why I would fly through Incheon. I asked why but nothing was said and I. I left Canada on March 11 with transit through Detroit, USA and Incheon South Korea. Both plane transfers were 2 hours or less in the airport. Incheon is empty and I mean empty. The plane from Incheon to Phuket had 32 passengers. All but 5 were from North America. Most were going for a vacation of 1-2 weeks. I know this because we waiting for 2.5 hours for health screening. Lots of time to talk. First they wanted health insurance papers and a doctor's note with lab work to prove no COVID-19. No one had that. No one was even aware and the airlines said nothing.

After health screening was done, all of us were required to sign a paper stating that we would do a self imposed quarantine in our hotel rooms for 2 weeks or we cannot enter the country. It is getting crazy in this world. Everyone is wearing those silly cloth surgical masks which are useless against corona virus. We stood with a plane from China for more than 1 hour. Talk about infecting everyone. 1 doctor and 2 nurses for all the tourists and people returning. Chaotic would be kind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, if Thailand ends up adding the U.S. to either of its CV related lists (no visa exempt or 14-day quarantine for arrivals), the announcement initially would come out of the TH government here, and I'm pretty sure would be quickly reported here on TVF.

ack!  I keep referring to 'Thai Embassy'.  I'm aware that the Thai authorities would announce first.  Thank you for the correction ????

Again clear as mud... In announcement they say suspended visa-exempt for HK, but on Cathay (very updated) notifications they only show certificate & insurance requirement)... 2 flights from HK already landed today (other 3-4 canceled), hope for some reports.

4 hours ago, les1 said:

My wife & I came in from DaNang on Wednesday & as far as we could see nothing was being implemented on entering the Country. No temperature checks coming in however on leaving the Country 10 days earlier they checked temperatures on entering the departure lounges. Today UK Confirmed over 600 cases of Covid19 but Thailand with thousands of Chinese holidaying in all areas of the Country declaring only a handful. Also today the Guy who discovered Ebola maintains that you only need to talk to someone to contract the disease. Unbelievable....????

If you are referring to Professor Peter Piot he was one of the team that discovered Ebola.

In the interview with Sky News that I read he stated that the Corona Vrus is respiratory and that a lot of the infection is in the throat.

If this is the case I would find it quite believable depending on how close you are to the the person to whom you are talking that it could be transmitted.

We do after all expel air when talking some more than others.

Just now, StevieAus said:

If you are referring to Professor Peter Piot he was one of the team that discovered Ebola.

In the interview with Sky News that I read he stated that the Corona Vrus is respiratory and that a lot of the infection is in the throat.

If this is the case I would find it quite believable depending on how close you are to the the person to whom you are talking that it could be transmitted.

We do after all expel air when talking some more than others.

It's exactly why the Italians first said that restaurants and coffee shops could open provided people were further apart than 1 metre

Married and living in Thailand.British expat

Got a return ticket from my Singapore employer to Taiwan on 17th March to 24th March for work.

Q. Any issues with Thai Immigration expected on my return,regarding the COVID19?

Any advice appreciated

3 minutes ago, Ddbanksy said:

Married and living in Thailand.British expat

Got a return ticket from my Singapore employer to Taiwan on 17th March to 24th March for work.

Q. Any issues with Thai Immigration expected on my return,regarding the COVID19?

Any advice appreciated

If it really depends on your nationality rather than the country you're coming back from before entering Thailand, you should be fine according to the current news as UK passport holders aren't on the list of the nationalities behind banned of entering the kingdom.

Edited by RedReding
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

2 family members flew into Suvarnabhumi yesterday morning from Munich, Germany. One had Swiss passport the other Austrian.. No problems, but no temperature or any other health check. CRAZY!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised. For my latest DOMESTIC flight within Thailand, my temperature was checked TWICE - before departure and upon arrival.

9 minutes ago, Asernume said:

I was really worried about all those tourists from Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Malta, Nauru, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu coughing all over the place. Feeling safer now.

They can still apply for tourist visas. 

47 minutes ago, RedReding said:

If it really depends on your nationality rather than the country you're coming back from before entering Thailand, you should be fine according to the current news as UK passport holders aren't on the list of the nationalities behind banned of entering the kingdom.

Which nationalities are in your opinion banned? 

3 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

A friend of mine - Italian passport holder who grew up and lives in Switzerland - was told by the Thai embassy in Switzerland that he's banned from visiting. Period. The risk is in the passport, not in where people might and might not get exposed.

Yes, Einstein, I know: how can Immigration tell? They can't, but the embassy offered zero support such as certificate of Swiss residency would be okay or such...

Maybe immigration at Suvarnabhumi are smarter than employees at the embassy. It has nothing to do with nationality. If he's staying in Switzerland and haven't been to an infected area, why would he be denied entry? He must be able to prove where he's residing. 

8 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

So ?

Oh wait, you expect any logic behind decissions of the Thai government… 5555

The logic is this: It's easier to cancel every country on the VoA-list than pick half of them. People from those countries can still apply for a tourist visa. 

7 hours ago, les1 said:

My wife & I came in from DaNang on Wednesday & as far as we could see nothing was being implemented on entering the Country. No temperature checks coming in however on leaving the Country 10 days earlier they checked temperatures on entering the departure lounges. Today UK Confirmed over 600 cases of Covid19 but Thailand with thousands of Chinese holidaying in all areas of the Country declaring only a handful. Also today the Guy who discovered Ebola maintains that you only need to talk to someone to contract the disease. Unbelievable....????

Thailand, as always, is full of unfounded rumour and government spin.  My wife is due to fly from Bangkok to the UK on Tuesday and has been told that the airport is going to be closed any time now!  Not by the airport or the airline (Thai Airways) but this is according to social media.  She also tells me that contrary to the low number of cases of the virus, local news channels have said that there are over 100,000 cases of the disease in Thailand and over 5,000 deaths.

Given that the WHO figures for the total number of Corona Virus cases is just under 135,000 and the total number of deaths is at 4,990, I think I can see the source of this confusion in this case.  The figures she saw quoted were for the total in the world, not the total in Thailand.  Likewise we all know that the official line of 50 plus is utter nonsense.  Difficult to work out what is fact and what is social media motivated fiction. 

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Likewise we all know that the official line of 50 plus is utter nonsense.  Difficult to work out what is fact and what is social media motivated fiction. 

When other countries start reporting that visitors who have been in Thailand are testing positive for Covid-19, I will start getting worried.  The current number of confirmed cases of 75 may be on the low side, but I do not believe there is s massive outbreak here, at least yet.

• Like 1