Visas on arrival being denied 18 nationalities

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I have already written before they have canceled visas on arrival for every country that qualified for them.

They decided it was best to just stop issuing them. 

"Every Country"?   USA?

5 minutes ago, Suetape said:

"Every Country"?   USA?

US citizens get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a 15 day visa on arrival after applying for it.

Just the normal confusion due to people incorrectly calling a visa exempt entry a visa on arrival.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

US citizens get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a 15 day visa on arrival after applying for it.

Just the normal confusion due to people incorrectly calling a visa exempt entry a visa on arrival.

I am a bit confused on what's the difference between visa exempt and bilateral agreement. Both don't need a visa so why is there two categories?

http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

At least Thailand doesn't ban completely all nationals from those countries like what USA did to China.

Thailand didn't ban anyone from those countries. They cancelled the VoA for nationals from those 18 countries. They can still apply for tourist visas.

11 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

A friend of mine - Italian passport holder who grew up and lives in Switzerland - was told by the Thai embassy in Switzerland that he's banned from visiting. Period. The risk is in the passport, not in where people might and might not get exposed.

Yes, Einstein, I know: how can Immigration tell? They can't, but the embassy offered zero support such as certificate of Swiss residency would be okay or such...

That's what I have been telling some people here that it is the passport and also where you came from.

Immigration just don't have the time to check where you have been in the last 14 days so it is easier just to ban the nationality.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The logic is this: It's easier to cancel every country on the VoA-list than pick half of them. People from those countries can still apply for a tourist visa. 

Yes, I agree and it also frees up manpower at the VoA booth.

That VOA officer can help in doing other things like manning the immigration booth.

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am a bit confused on what's the difference between visa exempt and bilateral agreement. Both don't need a visa so why is there two categories?

http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

A bilateral agreement means that those from the listed country get a the entry mentioned and Thais get the same entry to that country.

Also those with a bilateral agreement are not limited to 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossing but cannot get the 30 day extension for visa exempt entries.

• Like 1

FYI: The Thai government suddenly cancelled the VoA cancellation. They said "they need more research", which is total bs. They will decide next week if there's going to be a cancellation. Some countries in the list probably complained. 

Just now, Max69xl said:

FYI: The Thai government suddenly cancelled the VoA cancellation. They said "they need more research", which is total bs. They will decide next week if there's going to be a cancellation. Some countries in the list probably complained. 

Out of date info. It was first said it would be next week but later they stated it started now.

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

See this from the official e-visa application site: https://thailandevoa.vfsevisa.com/thailand/online/home/index

Immigration Bureau of Thailand has temporarily suspended issuing visas on arrival to visitors from 18 countries and territories. Visa on Arrival (VoA) will be suspended for nationals of all 18 countries and territories previously eligible, including Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan and Vanuatu, according to a list provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Applying through the e-visa site would not have been suspended if visas on arrival were still being issued.

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That info was out of date when it was posted.

Edit: The article in the OP was posted by the Nation the evening of " Mar 12. 2020". (see: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383919)

Edited by ubonjoe

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You know how to read? The article was released 18 hours ago.

Yes, I know how to read. The quote I provided from the official e-visa application site (preferred way of getting visas on arrival) was from a few minutes ago.

There were all kinds of conflicting statements over the last two days, but if you cannot apply, that is a pretty good indication that they are not available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A bilateral agreement means that those from the listed country get a the entry mentioned and Thais get the same entry to that country.

Also those with a bilateral agreement are not limited to 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossing but cannot get the 30 day extension for visa exempt entries.

But it states that Hong Kong  people and Vietnamese can get 30 day visa exempt.

I think the main difference is it is bilateral whereas the other is unilateral which means Americans get 30 days visa exempt when visiting Thailand but Thais don't get 30 days visa exempt when visiting USA.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

But it states that Hong Kong  people and Vietnamese can get 30 day visa exempt.

Not sure why they are shown on both lists. Perhaps so they can get a 30 day extension and are restricted to 2 visa exempts per year.

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think the main difference is it is bilateral whereas the other is unilateral which means Americans get 30 days visa exempt when visiting Thailand but Thais don't get 30 days visa exempt when visiting USA.

What it basically means is they would not qualify for a visa exempt entry without it being a bilateral agreement.

• Confused 1

I'm confused - is it 18+3 countries excluded from VoA? They mentioned 18 countries (Bulgaria, Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and “China (including Taiwan) but in the previous paragraph they mentioned 3 more...Italy, SK and HK. 

How many is it? Are the last 3 not really excluded?

3 minutes ago, asiacafe said:

I'm confused - is it 18+3 countries excluded from VoA? They mentioned 18 countries (Bulgaria, Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and “China (including Taiwan) but in the previous paragraph they mentioned 3 more...Italy, SK and HK. 

How many is it? Are the last 3 not really excluded?

Oh dear... This was explained dozen times... VoA is NOT Visa-Exempt... VoA is suspended (for all 18 countries who used it), and Visa-Exempt is suspended for 3 mentioned countries.

So if the voa was canceled for Taiwan would an American on visa exempt traveling from Taiwan also have problems. Things are changing so much I don't <deleted> is happening. I travel there at then end of the month and plan to return here in 3 months. Then again trying to plan 3 months in advance makes no sense now.

10 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Also canceling Taiwan's VoA makes no sense as it's response has been exemplary. Lumping it in with China is clearly wrong and purely political.

That did not do it by country. It a complete cancelation of visa on arrivals for every country that could get one before.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

So if the voa was canceled for Taiwan would an American on visa exempt traveling from Taiwan also have problems. Things are changing so much I don't <deleted> is happening. I travel there at then end of the month and plan to return here in 3 months. Then again trying to plan 3 months in advance makes no sense now.

The change in rules for Taiwanese citizens (who must now get a visa in advance) does not affect US citizens. However, there is a high chance that visa exempt entry for US citizens will be suspended before the end of this month. It depends on how the epidemic develops.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

The change in rules for Taiwanese citizens (who must now get a visa in advance) does not affect US citizens. However, there is a high chance that visa exempt entry for US citizens will be suspended before the end of this month. It depends on how the epidemic develops.

US (& UK) are now on extended reporting but no cancellation of VE (yet!)

Edit see @jackdd post #86 for more info 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

However, there is a high chance that visa exempt entry for US citizens will be suspended before the end of this month. It depends on how the epidemic develops.

I am not sure they would do that due to the problems it has already caused due to Italy being taken off the list. 

What about all of those countries in Europe that get them?

People already here should not hurt by such and action.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, jackdd said:

Did anybody see an announcement about further visa exempt suspensions?

If it happens i hope they announce it a few days in advance

Whats happens if your an American expat living and working outside the US for years not setting foot in the US? How does the policy change for the high risk categry only associated with me being an American outside the US? I have my passport to prove it.