Should I visit Philippines instead of Thailand?

Jan0

I have visited Thailand for a short trip of 5 days. I have also been hearing that Some expats are starting to move to Philippines mainly instead of staying in Thailand anymore??? I am thinking of staying for a few months to upto a year or more just for a holiday.

My question is:

Is Philippines better value?

Is Philippines more fun?

Is Philippines more friendlier?

I also heard that they tend to rip off foreigners much more in Thailand compared to Philippines???

Edited by Jan0
  • Haha 1

Two different types of cheese, take your pick. Philippines is harder going but more rewarding in many respects, and they're generally not as weary of foreigners. Be aware that Peak Virus is yet to happen in both countries. Du30 yesterday announced a lockdown of Manila starting Sunday, unclear as yet whether this includes just land and sea transport, or air too. 

• Thanks 1

I'm more of a luxury traveller than a backpacker.

If I don't get perfect French baguette and Black Forest ham or Jamon Serrano or Milano Salami I'm not happy. So yes, shopping malls are vital for me. It's here that you get the supermarkets for foreigners that have the things needed for a good life. You won't find them in the wet market or the local Thai or Filipino market.

What's not to like about good malls, good places to eat, 3D cinemas. Especially in Thailand they've taken it to an art form. In Central Festival I can bring my trousers to the Shangri La dry cleaner, get a fresh apple-pineapple juice, buy art and writing supplies, eletronics, do banking, buy clothes or shoes,  gadgets, pay the electricity bill, the phone bill, get a screen protector for the tablet. 

I like these great Asian malls, especially Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Philippines has huge gigantic malls but they seem less well designed, much less varied.

Obviously that does not preclude going to the beach, I've been to Kota beach and it is pretty good, much better than any beach in Thailand I've seen. I've also visited waterfalls in Phil, but they're overcrowded now. Spetacular scenery, but too many people.

Well, yes, the women are usually out to make money, but there are shades of grey. In Thailand often a Thai girl will tell you straight up 'Me freelanceer, for money'. You don't get that as much in Phil, where there are more serial dating professionals who like to pretend you're the boyfriend. Of course there are also prostitutes, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

What's not to like about good malls, good places to eat, 3D cinemas. Especially in Thailand they've taken it to an art form. In Central Festival I can bring my trousers to the Shangri La dry cleaner, get a fresh apple-pineapple juice, buy art and writing supplies, eletronics, do banking, buy clothes or shoes,  gadgets, pay the electricity bill, the phone bill, get a screen protector for the tablet. 

I can do most of that from my sofa at home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The biggest plus with the PI is almost everyone speaks decent english.  It just makes everything that much easier for regular day to day things.

They are pouring billions into inproving the infrastructure.  I have seen definite improvements over the last few years.  Better internet, less power outages, more tollways etc.  There is economic development going on all over the place right now around Clark/Angeles. You probably won't recognize the place in a few more years.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Two different types of cheese, take your pick. Philippines is harder going but more rewarding in many respects, and they're generally not as weary of foreigners. Be aware that Peak Virus is yet to happen in both countries. Du30 yesterday announced a lockdown of Manila starting Sunday, unclear as yet whether this includes just land and sea transport, or air too. 

All domestic travel including Air in and out of Manila. 

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

right now manilla is on lockdown so travel and visiting may be a bit of a problem.  You won't see anywhere as much asian architecture, thai type temples, etc.  Food is no where near as good in my opinion.  Religion is quite different, and attractive or less attractive to some depending on their likes.  Barrios and ghettos are as bad or worse as anything you will see in Thailand. 

Oh and this constant page updating reloading "transferring data from forum.thaivisa" that shows up in the lower left makes the page jump up and down, and really a pain to use this site

I don’t know how any barrios and ghettos could get any worse than what you see here in Bangkok

Go behind any shopping center or five-star hotel and there’s nothing but dilapidated tin shack’s the people sleep on the ground and cook in a little charcoal pot

you could bulldozed down 60% of Bangkok and never miss it!

• Like 1

lol..thai girls are born to cheat...the most in the word and they will leave you for more always...58 percent...i always laugh when i see what people say here...just can not admit truth.. how many lives have been taken or or been ruined by thia girls...there was a time when thailand was good but all is gone now .. i understand hard to leave there but it is just time before farnags will wake up...face it you are just retirement plan for girls there but you make yourself believe something else ...and the gov does not want you there and will keep finding ways to make you go.... philippines hard to say but for sure better people...girls more faithful and will hang in there with you...yes not same as thailand in times but ahead of that fake smile crape... thais will still .. kill.. and smile at each other with there face bull shi...... what do you think when they smile at you....the best way i can sum this up is ....they must be a  DEMOCRAT....sad but true....lies .. fake...and do not turn you back......................................... bottom line.

• Like 1