Bangkok safe to travel??? | COVID-19

Jan0

President of Philippines orders Manila on lock-down and two Thai Airport workers infected with Coronavirus. Now the thing is I was thinking of traveling to manila first but it has a lock-down going on so maybe now I might go Thailand then Philippines. at the time of this post there was reported amount of 75 Cases 1 Death and 35 Recovered. Although this is hard to believe since Thailand has too many lady bars designed for adult entertainment and Thailand being the number 1 travel destination for the Chinese thus Thailand being known to absorbing the most Chinese tourist then any other nation. The COVID-19 is highly contagious and is reported to have 8 Times higher death rate then the flu.

Does anyone believe the statistics being published by the Thai government claiming on infection, death, recoveries???

Should we stop travelling???

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1876434/two-airport-workers-have-covid-19 

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-death-rate-south-korea-compared-to-flu-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• Sad 1

Man.... stay put for now. Wait till this is over. You don't know what would happen next. Imagine you went to US a few days back, now you might get stuck there for a month at your own expenses with all flights cancelled. You might arrive to the airport and they'd ask you for some bogus health certificate or tell you that now proper visa is required, which you wouldn't have.

It's just not the right time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So far in Bangkok I know of no one who has contracted the virus but Thailand has not been very vigilent in slowing things down ie; allowing direct flights from China & Hong Kong, letting Thais who returned from Korea after working illegally roam around & do not forget our Health Minister 

who is totally ignorant of reality in claiming it is all "Dirty Farangs" fault.

Note NZ first country in the world that as of this morning requires 14 days seclusion upon entering the country regardless of who you are so be prepared on your return to spend 14 days in isolation if OZ follows suit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, Jan0 said:

Should we stop travelling???

"Returning to Australia from a high-risk country

Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family, and airline crews can enter Australia from these countries - but you’ll need to isolate yourself at home for 14 days from the date you left the affected country. "   https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19-australian-travellers#returning

You may be required to isolate yourself on return to Australia which means you can't return to work for 2 weeks.

This may/may not change with short notice if its indeed so.
Just based on that alone I wouldn't chose to travel now.

Plus, it's not exactly a party atmosphere around town, many people wearing masks in general. 
Just got back from the store (Makro) and they were checking all customers upon entry to see if anyone was running a fever in which case you couldn't get in I suppose.  ????

Kinda sucks having to decide to go on holiday or not...but all the stories we read you never know if you’ll get stuck or land and find

out rules changed and you have to go into quarantine,

Fron what I’ve read a lot of the airlines are allowing customers to change flight for future date... but not very many if any are offering cancel with a refund...

and worst case you catch virus on the flight and spend your holiday

in hospital racking a Hospital bill then holidays over head back home..

It's very hard to buy travel insurance now. Also the "it goes away in hot weather" narrative is being blown away by what's happening in Brazil and the Philippines.

Thailand is a dead country walking.

• Like 1

What's happening in  Brazil  and the Philis ? Both those countries with relatively low number of cases as a % of population . Also southern Brazil is not hot in March , Brasilia isn't either , due to altitude .I believe the assertion that CV doesn't like heat is correct and that if Thai had a cold climate ,

19 minutes ago, drguid said:

It's very hard to buy travel insurance now. Also the "it goes away in hot weather" narrative is being blown away by what's happening in Brazil and the Philippines.

Thailand is a dead country walking.

the numbers would have sky rocketed .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Thailand is safe. It was one of the first affected and only around 70 cases at present. If you want to believe the numbers given.

Yes and obviously you do not want to believe the numbers. Everyone in the area here says they wouldn't dare to waste 6-9K baht on just a test alone.
Can't blame a 18K baht job couple with 2 children to waste 24-36K on just testing. Many old people that suddenly are sick and have similar symptoms, not going to the hospital neither do a virus test. As well with the 30 baht thing, most people stay far from their registered area, no time as of work to go there.

Even if the government would usually be honest and accurate with numbers, which is not the case, it would still be out of touch with reality most likely.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Question for people living here.

Does anybody in Thailand know anyone who has contracted coronavirus?

That is a very silly question looking at countries, population and amount of known infected people. 

6 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I do. It's possible, or even probable that not all infected people have been tested for the Coronavirus, but I do believe that the figures of the reported infections are correct.

Tooth fairy?

Santa Claus?
Loch Ness?

<deleted>. in end of March I wished to go home via Bangkok with stopover for a couple of days to spend the night in clubs/bars but now I think it is too risky because the flight to Bangkok/from Bangkok can be cancelled any moment or you will be put on quarantine ????????

This is a silly time to travel to the Ph and Thailand when travel restriction changes daily.  Wait another week or two and see what develops or you may lose booking fees due to quarantines being imposed, or you might get involuntarily quarantined somewhere (and it won't be in a girly bar!)

I'm not saying either way, but if the numbers of infected in Thailand are a lie, the govt. won't be able to sit on them for much longer.  You'll know soon either way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Good time to come over.

we're in the middle of a pandemic outbreak and you're telling the guy it's a good time to come over. That's kinda <deleted> up dude.

He'd have to self isolate himself for 2 weeks on return to Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-australia-live-updates-covid-19-latest-news/12056788

36 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

we're in the middle of a pandemic outbreak and you're telling the guy it's a good time to come over. That's kinda <deleted> up dude.

He'd have to self isolate himself for 2 weeks on return to Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-australia-live-updates-covid-19-latest-news/12056788

I am not an Aussie, but if I had no symptoms, there is not a cat in hells chance I would self isolate. The world reaction to this is fuelled by the media and is way way over the top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimn said:

there is not a cat in hells chance I would self isolate.

The bloke posting the question is travelling from Australia and the PM of Australia has announced self-isolation is no longer a “voluntary arrangement”.  

'Morrison said that – until now – self-isolation had been a “voluntary arrangement” with “no potential sanction against a person for not following that requirement”.

“That will change,” he said, although penalties will be “a matter for the states and territories”.

“If your mate has been to Bali and they come back and they turn up at work and they are sitting next to you, they will be committing an offence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/all-overseas-arrivals-in-australia-must-self-isolate-for-14-days-amid-new-coronavirus-rules

5 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

The bloke posting the question is travelling from Australia and the PM of Australia has announced self-isolation is no longer a “voluntary arrangement”.  

'Morrison said that – until now – self-isolation had been a “voluntary arrangement” with “no potential sanction against a person for not following that requirement”.

“That will change,” he said, although penalties will be “a matter for the states and territories”.

“If your mate has been to Bali and they come back and they turn up at work and they are sitting next to you, they will be committing an offence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/all-overseas-arrivals-in-australia-must-self-isolate-for-14-days-amid-new-coronavirus-rules

Over the top reaction in my honest opinion. I know nothing about Australia so I will cease to comment further.