Thailand reports 32 new coronavirus cases, brings total to 114

webfact

3 hours ago, Timwin said:

It is sensitive to temperature. Otherwise Thailand with 10 million Chinese tourists per year, compared to 2 million in Italy, would have been much worse two weeks before Italy! The epidemic is much slower spreading in Thailand and that is very good news. 

Maybe I misunderstand your intention, but the headline of that article clearly say, "Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, but don’t bank on summer killing it off, studies say". 

Further down in the article you can read, "Weather alone, [such as an] increase of temperature and humidity as the spring and summer months arrive in the Northern Hemisphere, will not necessarily lead to declines in case counts without the implementation of extensive public health interventions,” said the study, which was published in February and is also awaiting scientific review". 

The truth is that there are yet no evidence that say that it will slowdown because of temperature or humidity. There are however some scientist that believe that the different way of life in the Nordic countries in winter and summer could make a change of the spreading.

About high temperature, there are at least one, not aproved yet, research on mice in a labatory that say that the virus spread quicker in 20 degress Celsius than in 40 degrees Celcius. 

Edited by Parsve
Misspelling

5 minutes ago, time2093 said:

The Thai PM just said in a statement from Bangkok post that Nightlife stays open for business....Just heading to the bar.

I think they want this thing to blow up exponential....then they can say it was the western tourists who spread this....must have been the Americans during Cobra Gold......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I guess the countries in Asia with ineffective, corrupt Governments are getting to the end of phase 1 of their strategies which involved lying  profiteering from essential supplies  and suppressing information but otherwise doing nothing but frittering away precious time. This will turn out not to be successful.

I think the U.S. took the lead and set the pattern in that regards.... 

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The MERS virus is transmitted primarily from animals to people, but transmission from people to people is also possible.

[...]

Scientific evidence suggests that people are infected through direct or indirect contact with infected dromedary camels. 

Mers is one type of corona virus, and yes, I believe you. There is a lot of dromedary up in the Nothern countries ????????????????

5 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

9 at Muay Thai stadium, 3 at the pub, 3 at Suvarnabhumi, 7 from holidays abroad, 2 foreigners.

Amazing how only people from overseas and a few in BKK have it.

The rest of the country is under the dome

Like something out of a Stephen King novel!

Yes, the difference I think is they feel they have to be transparent with foreigners who they have to report to other countries in some way or form.  Those that are internal only are likely staying on 'under investigation' until they are cleared and never added to any official covid list.

59 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Given that it's been established that the virus is present in faecal matter, and that an anal swab is the preferred testing method, could the virus actually be spread if someone decides to "fart in your general direction"...?

Sounds like a joke, but it might be actually true.

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There is only partial info also, i guess they/we all struggle with obtaining and updating info fast enough before there is added new news. Thank you for the link anyhow. i have subscribed to Barrow’s twitter as he accesses more sources faster than i can. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timwin said:

I provided the link in other post. It can survive as infectious pathogen in hot temperatures but the optimum is lower, 6-12 C temperatures. Both SARS and MERS were btw pretty much direct close contact based spreading viruses, where the outside temperature does not affect at all. In other words they could not spread nowhere near as effective as this one via indirect ways.

According to research (chinese scientists / WHO) the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 (virus/disease) can last for 2 days on surfaces at 37C.  SARS and MERS have much lower R0 which made them easier to contain.  MERS is primarily (and maybe only) contracted through camel fecal matter. 

There are 4 strains of Corona viruses that make up around 20% of the annual colds. 

Influenza virus is more averse to temperatures and yet Indonesia (comparable climate to Thailand) had 1.5 million deaths from the Spanish Flu (H1N1) in the fall wave of 1918.  That was in a time when when people were not as mobile.. which I believe was around the average mortality rate (10% of infected died - 30% of the world population were infected - again limited mobility at the time). 

Air Conditioners lowering temperatures and reducing humidity are in common use around Thailand -- especially in urban areas - transit/office/condos/shopping centres.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Good advice, i'll try to get some tomorrow.

In recent days, I've started seeing some -- both drugstore and N95 type masks, showing up in some of the small popup shops inside the gates at BTS stations. Not cheap, but not exhorbitant prices either. No way to tell if they're real or counterfeits.

One of the shop owners who my wife talked with had them one day, and then they were all gone the next day. I asked my wife to check with the shop staff again, and she found out that actually the little shop still had them, but wasn't putting them out on display all the time for fear of getting cited by the government for exceeding the official mask price rate of 2 baht or so for the drugstore masks. (I think the place we saw was selling a 20-pack of the drugstore type masks for 200 baht, i.e., 10 baht a piece, a nice profit over the official rate.)

So I guess, it pays to ask these days, even if you don't see them, especially at some of the small places inside BTS gates where they sell nick nacks kind of stuff. (All of the above probably only applies to the gray market kinds of places, not the official outlets like retail stores and pharmacies, which as best as I can tell, are still pretty much totally without stock).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

i would really like this to be true but looking at our closest neighbour Malaysia they are having real problems the last few days:

current 428 cases

new cases today 190

thats an outbreak in a hot tropical climate

sorry fella

Hot climate is not the optimum condition for the virus, but it does not mean it cannot be transmitted. 

From what i read many of Malaysia’s new confirmed cases originate from a mass gathering in a mosque. 

The sensible thing to do is social distancing, and calling off all such events and closing places. That is obviously a difficult call to make but a necessary one. Sadly too little seems to happen here too late.

Can only hope they show more courage in putting unpopular measures in place here soon for the greater good of all. 

Edited by fcbkk

9 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

According to research (chinese scientists / WHO) the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 (virus/disease) can last for 2 days on surfaces at 37C.  SARS and MERS have much lower R0 which made them easier to contain.  MERS is primarily (and maybe only) contracted through camel fecal matter. 

There are 4 strains of Corona viruses that make up around 20% of the annual colds. 

Influenza virus is more averse to temperatures and yet Indonesia (comparable climate to Thailand) had 1.5 million deaths from the Spanish Flu (H1N1) in the fall wave of 1918.  That was in a time when when people were not as mobile.. which I believe was around the average mortality rate (10% of infected died - 30% of the world population were infected - again limited mobility at the time). 

Air Conditioners lowering temperatures and reducing humidity are in common use around Thailand -- especially in urban areas - transit/office/condos/shopping centres.

this is what worries me about corona:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

i think this is why its so contagious

8 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

Thank you, have trouble finding the Thai version, but will try on the PC again rather than the mobile. 

On the DDC webpage, there's a language choice link up in the top right hand corner of the screen to toggle between their EN and TH versions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Given that it's been established that the virus is present in faecal matter, and that an anal swab is the preferred testing method, could the virus actually be spread if someone decides to "fart in your general direction"...?

The funniest post I’ve seen in a long time. Bravo Sir.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

What I am saying is that the RO is significantly lower in hot&humid and thus, much slower spreading. That what makes all the difference. Maybe in Thailand it is 1-2 but in northern climates 3-5. Huge difference. 

Otherwise, 5 times more Chinese tourists per capita than Italy would have made Thailand ground zero way before northern Italy. Also the northern countries are skyrocketing now, most passed the number of cases in Thailand many days ago. Temperatures there are right inside the optimum indirect contact spreading zone, 5-15 C.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In recent days, I've started seeing some -- both drugstore and N95 type masks, showing up in some of the small popup shops inside the gates at BTS stations. Not cheap, but not exhorbitant prices either. No way to tell if they're real or counterfeits.

One of the shop owners who my wife talked with had them one day, and then they were all gone the next day. I asked my wife to check with the shop staff again, and she found out that actually the little shop still had them, but wasn't putting them out on display all the time for fear of getting cited by the government for exceeding the official mask price rate of 2 baht or so for the drugstore masks.

So I guess, it pays to ask these days, even if you don't see them, especially at some of the small places inside BTS gates where they sell nick nacks kind of stuff. (All of the above probably only applies to the gray market kinds of places, not the official outlets like retail stores and pharmacies, which as best as I can tell, are still pretty much totally without stock).

Thanks mate, tbh i am on an island, in self isolation since 1 week, and i am extremely careful with hand washing.

A mask would be only to show respect to the locals although very very few use them.

Here it seems nobody, tourists (few) and locals alike, know about the potential danger.

2 minutes ago, Timwin said:

What I am saying is that the RO is significantly lower in hot&humid and thus, much slower spreading. That what makes all the difference. Maybe in Thailand it is 1-2 but in northern climates 3-5. Huge difference. 

Otherwise, 5 times more Chinese tourists per capita than Italy would have made Thailand ground zero way before northern Italy. Also the northern countries are skyrocketing now, most passed the number of cases in Thailand many days ago. Temperatures there are right inside the optimum indirect contact spreading zone, 5-15 C.

If you believe the Thai numbers. 

Big if. 

• Like 1

Just now, Timwin said:

You are making a rather tenuous argument comparing Thailand to Italy with regards to Chinese visitors.  Throughout the vast majority of the outbreak in China - Italy had maybe a handful of confirmed cases... that was until 2 or 3 weeks ago.  If it was the 'Chinese connection' etc. and that Italy was prime candidate material - they breakout would have been much earlier.  The argument about the virus being hot and humid averse comes from the influenza virus -- and it decimated Indonesia (also at least as hot and humid as Thailand) during the Spanish Flu... when the  R0 would typically be lower than now because of the lack of mobility.  (H1N1 is now in the vaccine and the general population has some immunity in the population now; this is a novel virus).

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On the DDC webpage, there's a language choice link up in the top right hand corner of the screen to toggle between their EN and TH versions.

Thanks i suspected that it’s exactly the button that does not work when trying on my phone. 

To anyone who thinks only older people are on the hook for this, take a look at this except from the Thai DDC report for March 14 and various of the new cases reported that day. Note the ages among the various cases mentioned below:

the third case is her daughter who is a 30 year-old employee and close contact with her friend who traveled from South Korea (On 2 March 2020) and her mother who traveled from Japan. She was sick on 9 March 2020 with a fever, runny nose, and productive cough (the patient is the 78th confirmed case).

he fourth case is a 33 year-old Japanese man, (the husband of the 78th confirmed case).

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/news/news_no50_140363_1.pdf

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

12 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

According to research (chinese scientists / WHO) the SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 (virus/disease) can last for 2 days on surfaces at 37C.  SARS and MERS have much lower R0

The virus surviving on some surface and being infectious with enough numbers are two different things like I said in post #84

Why do I have the feeling that Thailand's doing the Chinese way of reporting the numbers?

Reading such news and others where they state that this virus wouldn't exist in Isaan ( was topic a few days ago, coming from a foreigner in Nong Khai) makes all these news to something I just don't believe.

It's also easy for the government to shut down people who report the truth on social media.

Again, a similarity to China.

Edited by Isaanbiker
There's no virus in Isaan.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I strongly suggest that all farangs begin wearing a mask at all times while you are out to show support for the Thai people as they deal with the pandemic. 

no matter how you feel about the effectiveness wear the mask to show you are concerned and doing your part not to spread the virus.

I don't see many people here locally wearing masks for other than riding motorcycles.

• Like 1