Trump considering full pardon for ex-adviser Michael Flynn

webfact

Trump considering full pardon for ex-adviser Michael Flynn

2020-03-15T224135Z_2_LYNXMPEG2E0RS_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-FLYNN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Former national security adviser Michael Flynn exits a vehicle as he arrives for his sentencing hearing at U.S. District Court in Washington, U.S., December 18, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday he is considering a full pardon for his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about dealings with Russia's ambassador before Trump took office.

Flynn sought to withdraw the guilty plea in January, arguing that prosecutors violated his rights and duped him into a plea agreement. Trump said the FBI and Justice Department had "destroyed" Flynn's life and that of his family, and cited an unspecified, unsubstantiated report that they had lost records related to Flynn.

"I am strongly considering a Full Pardon!" Trump said on Twitter.

Flynn was supposed to help cooperate with the government as part of his plea deal. But he later switched lawyers and tactics, arguing that prosecutors in the case had violated his rights and tricked him into lying about his December 2016 conversations with Sergei Kislyak, then Moscow's ambassador in Washington.

The Department of Justice has repeatedly denied allegations of prosecutorial misconduct, and U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan rejected all of Flynn’s claims in December and set a sentencing date.

Shortly after that, Flynn filed the motion to withdraw his plea.

Flynn, who also previously led the Defense Intelligence Agency, served just 24 days in the Republican Trump administration before he was fired in January 2017.

He was one of several former Trump aides to plead guilty or be convicted at trial in former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation that detailed Moscow's interference in the 2016 U.S. election to boost Trump's candidacy, as well as numerous contacts between Trump's campaign and Russia.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-16
  • Confused 1

Hey remember the time Flynn got up at the convention and started the "Lock her Up" chant? 

Yeah, that was cool. ????

Trump's done such a fabulous job with this coronavirus thingy and everything he's touched really. He's history. I don't care who he pardons. Pardon the whole gang of grifters. Don't care. 9 more months. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Flynn had a responsible government job, he chose to lie to the FBI to protect Trump who had no respect for any of the USA's security services and pushed PUTINS story and lies over anything the Governments security  agencies reported or had proof of. The truth will come out after November. Trump likes to get revenge on all who don't follow his lies and deception. The people he has screwed will then have the opportunity to do to Trump what he has done to many loyal servants of the country. Revenge is best served cold! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Actually, the truth coming out is the issue at hand. The federal government *losing* case documents is problematic, assuming one supports an open justice system over Soviet-style show trials and gulag justice. Which side of the coin are YOU on?

As usual, when it comes from Trump's mouth, It's fake news. The lost documents could not clear him because they are not about what he is accused of.

"In September, Flynn's lawyers said the prosecution was unable to produce an internal Justice Department memo clearing Flynn of being a Russian agent.

A government lawyer on the case, however, declared the claims irrelevant, stating Flynn was not accused of being a Russian agent."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/03/15/Donald-Trump-considering-full-pardon-of-Michael-Flynn-citing-missing-files/9601584298571/

58 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Actually, the truth coming out is the issue at hand. The federal government *losing* case documents is problematic, assuming one supports an open justice system over Soviet-style show trials and gulag justice. Which side of the coin are YOU on?

"Sullivan reviewed Flynn’s more detailed accusations that misconduct by the FBI, the Justice Department and Mueller’s office raised ethical concerns and cast doubt on his investigation, but he denied defense claims that they warranted tossing out his plea in favor of a trial or dismissal of his case.

Similar to Horowitz’s findings, the court ruling undercut arguments that the FBI investigation or Justice Department prosecution of Flynn was unjustified or improperly handled.

Refuting Flynn’s claims that he was misled into unwittingly pleading guilty to charges, Sullivan wrote that it was undisputed that Flynn told the same lies to the FBI, Vice President Pence and senior White House officials, who repeated them to the American public, leading to his firing in February 2017."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/michael-flynns-sentencing-set-for-jan-28-after-judge-rejects-his-attacks-on-the-fbi-justice-department/2019/12/16/269ae816-f4dd-11e9-a285-882a8e386a96_story.html

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

"Sullivan reviewed Flynn’s more detailed accusations that misconduct by the FBI, the Justice Department and Mueller’s office raised ethical concerns and cast doubt on his investigation, but he denied defense claims that they warranted tossing out his plea in favor of a trial or dismissal of his case.

Similar to Horowitz’s findings, the court ruling undercut arguments that the FBI investigation or Justice Department prosecution of Flynn was unjustified or improperly handled.

Refuting Flynn’s claims that he was misled into unwittingly pleading guilty to charges, Sullivan wrote that it was undisputed that Flynn told the same lies to the FBI, Vice President Pence and senior White House officials, who repeated them to the American public, leading to his firing in February 2017."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/michael-flynns-sentencing-set-for-jan-28-after-judge-rejects-his-attacks-on-the-fbi-justice-department/2019/12/16/269ae816-f4dd-11e9-a285-882a8e386a96_story.html

None of that makes *losing* relevant and likely critical case documents. This is the United States of America, not some third world, sh1thole country banana republic.

21 minutes ago, candide said:

As usual, when it comes from Trump's mouth, It's fake news. The lost documents could not clear him because they are not about what he is accused of.

"In September, Flynn's lawyers said the prosecution was unable to produce an internal Justice Department memo clearing Flynn of being a Russian agent.

A government lawyer on the case, however, declared the claims irrelevant, stating Flynn was not accused of being a Russian agent."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/03/15/Donald-Trump-considering-full-pardon-of-Michael-Flynn-citing-missing-files/9601584298571/

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

None of that makes *losing* relevant and likely critical case documents. This is the United States of America, not some third world, sh1thole country banana republic.

Just in case you did not read my post.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, candide said:

Just in case you did not read my post.

Thanks for the link. I have read it. So prosecutors held back what can be perceived as an irrelevant document. OK, so what else did they hold back?

Also, the fact that the judge has held back sentencing indefinitely clearly casts doubt on the narrative. While we don't know for sure whose narrative, I suspect it's the government's version. In the end, I will respect the judge's decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

Thanks for the link. I have read it. So prosecutors held back what can be perceived as an irrelevant document. OK, so what else did they hold back?

Also, the fact that the judge has held back sentencing indefinitely clearly casts doubt on the narrative. While we don't know for sure whose narrative, I suspect it's the government's version. In the end, I will respect the judge's decision.

You are free to speculate as much as you want.

It is not unbelievable that investigators may sometimes be negligent with documents that do not relate to the actual charges.

Fact is that the lost documents were not relevant and could not clear him. Trump's fake news once more.

By the way, more details on Fox News website.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-memo-cleared-flynn-of-being-russian-agent-but-its-missing-flynn-attorneys-say

4 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

In fact, that Judge has consistently turned down Flynn's requests. Quite scathingly.

Michael Flynn's sentencing collapses amid a judge's 'disgust' over former national security adviser's conduct

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/18/michael-flynn-sentencing-collapses-judge-disgust-former-trump-aide/2352912002/

Judge rejects Michael Flynn's claims of a government conspiracy to frame him https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/16/michael-flynn-judge-rejects-claims-fbi-doj-framed-him/2667201001/

"Sullivan then went on to savage Flynn's criminal conduct, at one point questioning the retired general's patriotism.

“Arguably, you sold your country out,” Sullivan said. "I cannot assure you that, if you proceed today, you will not be sentenced to a period of incarceration."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/07/feds-recommend-up-six-months-prison-michael-flynn/2833481001/

Just now, candide said:

You are free to speculate as much as you want.

It is not unbelievable that investigators may sometimes be negligent with documents that do not relate to the actual charges.

Fact is that the lost documents were not relevant and could not clear him. Trump's fake news once more.

By the way, more details on Fox News website.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-memo-cleared-flynn-of-being-russian-agent-but-its-missing-flynn-attorneys-say

OK, I'll say this. If the document(s) regarding Flynn being cleared of being a Russian agent are the only ones that disappeared, I'll be fine with saying missing documents aren't an issue that indicates a pardon be awarded. But then again, I'm not the president. I have lived through all sorts of presidents handing out all sorts of pardons. After an initial rant or two on the issue, I don't get too worked up either way. Never have. Never will. Well, if Trump were to pardon some serial killer, you and I will march arm-in-arm to protest. Other than that... meh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

In fact, that Judge has consistently turned down Flynn's requests. Quite scathingly.

Michael Flynn's sentencing collapses amid a judge's 'disgust' over former national security adviser's conduct

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/18/michael-flynn-sentencing-collapses-judge-disgust-former-trump-aide/2352912002/

Judge rejects Michael Flynn's claims of a government conspiracy to frame him https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/16/michael-flynn-judge-rejects-claims-fbi-doj-framed-him/2667201001/

"Sullivan then went on to savage Flynn's criminal conduct, at one point questioning the retired general's patriotism.

“Arguably, you sold your country out,” Sullivan said. "I cannot assure you that, if you proceed today, you will not be sentenced to a period of incarceration."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/07/feds-recommend-up-six-months-prison-michael-flynn/2833481001/

Yes, I've kept loose tabs on this case and have watched Team Flynn get slapped around here and there. And that is specifically why I am wondering why at this point he is delaying sentencing indefinitely. But again, I will respect the judge's decision.

Edited by Crazy Alex
clarification