17 year old travelling alone

I won;t go into a long drawn out story but just get to the point.

My daughter may need to travel Bangkok to London alone. She has all the required travel documents, Thai and UK passport. She will be 17 at time of travel. I have checked Emirates website and they appear OK with a 17 year old travelling alone. My concern is Suvannaphumi airport.

Will Thai immigration let her out alone? Will she need a document/ letter from a parent(s) giving permission?

Thanks.

I just called the Emirates help line in Manchester for confirmation that a 17 year old can fly alone. They put my on hold with a message saying someone will be available within 12 hours and 48 minutes. Really?

So back to the TV gurus. Can anyone confirm that my 17 year old daughter will be able to travel alone?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

I just called the Emirates help line in Manchester for confirmation that a 17 year old can fly alone. They put my on hold with a message saying someone will be available within 12 hours and 48 minutes. Really?

So back to the TV gurus. Can anyone confirm that my 17 year old daughter will be able to travel alone?

Thanks.

I honestly don't know about Thailand, but as a general rule, a minor travelling alone internationally should carry:

1. Passport (obviously)

2. A complete birth certificate showing parents names

3. A signed affidavit from both parents (must match the birth certificate) allowing him/her to travel

I really don't think you can go wrong by putting together the above documents.  I wouldn't want her going without it if she were my daughter.

15 hours ago, Monomial said:

I honestly don't know about Thailand, but as a general rule, a minor travelling alone internationally should carry:

1. Passport (obviously)

2. A complete birth certificate showing parents names

3. A signed affidavit from both parents (must match the birth certificate) allowing him/her to travel

I really don't think you can go wrong by putting together the above documents.  I wouldn't want her going without it if she were my daughter.

Thanks for your post. However, the question still remains as to what age a passenger is considered a minor. The ticket she has is listed ans "adult" and adult price was paid. That is with regards to the airline. Emirates website shows 5 - 15 years old "must have" accompanying adult or must pay for the airline accompanying service. Looks like she will be OK.

We have contacted, as received a reply, from AOT and they have said that there is no problem with her leaving Thailand alone.