Most Laos land border crossing points now closed

For the last few days, Thiland is registering 30+ cases every day. If suddenly jumps to 100+ (hope I am wrong), all bets are off. Thailand will be forced to close all borders. I was reading an article that says April will be worst for countries that are showing complacency by not closing their borders and not imposing social distancing. Glad that Thailand closed Pattay and Bangkok bars and other entertainment veneus for 14-days. May be that will help it containing it. 

Edited by Mulambana

Just a heads up. I will be going to Thai Consulate in SVK on Monday. Like she does everytime, Mrs Infinity called ahead today to make sure there aren't any changes in documentation required. Staff (woman) informed Mrs Infinity that a medical certificate issued within 72 hrs of visa application is now required. Must be from a hospital not a clinic or private practice. Additionally, the consular officer advised Mrs Infinity to check with immigration about the border being open or not as things are changing day to day. The consular staff was polite and helpful and provided the # to the head of FB2 border crossing. Said immi top dog gave the same advice. Call the day of travel as the situation at present is fluid. They also kindly advised us to take necessary precautions: masks, social distancing etc. when crossing the border. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Just read confirmed report on Facebook, that Mae Sai crossing to Burma has just closed to those doing border bounces.  Need to have an evisa to cross.

https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/?fbclid=IwAR0YNUBGvKbbrfnc4Z4iEszYsoS71G5c5osUz2ffEOqQmKVKyTCn-WEnyUk

Now no land border crossings for foreigners at that crossing , read it just now on the e-visa application page 

4 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

. They also kindly advised us to take necessary precautions: masks, social distancing etc. when crossing the border. 

Good luck with social distancing on those freaking buses you have to use!   Let people walk or ride a bicycle!

13 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Good luck with social distancing on those freaking buses you have to use!   Let people walk or ride a bicycle!

Indeed. I am taking the advice of a previous poster (Saraburi) and hiring a private car. In fact, booked at that hotel today bcoz of it. Though I am sure others offer the same or similar service. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I can confirm that the health certificate is a requirement being one of around 30 applicants knocked back this morning (Thursday 19th).

Based in conversation with locals involved in the foreigner border shuffle, the border may be closed to foreigners from tomorrow night or very soon.

Thanks for your update. Not the best news. Will be checking with Mukdahan border crossing as departure approaches. For others, here is the # for the Mukdahan immi 042-674050. 

They have urged all travellers to call ahead to ensure the border crossing is open so as to not waste their  time and money while maintaining things can change at a moment's notice. 

7 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Thanks for your update. Not the best news. Will be checking with Mukdahan border crossing as departure approaches. For others, here is the # for the Mukdahan immi 042-674050. 

They have urged all travellers to call ahead to ensure the border crossing is open so as to not waste their  time and money while maintaining things can change at a moment's notice. 

CORRECTION: the number I provided above is for Customs at Mukdahan who directed Mrs. Infinity to Immigration 098-1056707. On the Lao side if having trouble, try 856 20 58 859 567. Hope this information can be helpful to anyone who needs it. Stay safe all.