Korat: Mayor of Khong district dead from shot to the head - he'd just been showing 2 year old his gun, says Thai media

webfact

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

Not to me. It read like the kid shot him and the family were trying not to mention that.

Or possibly he was larking about to amuse the kid...

Rooster

With live rounds in it.....????..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, I always remember those two British soldiers, beaten up and shot with their own gun - a gun is a dangerous thing to have around. Whether it's more dangerous to you, and your loved ones, or your opponents is a moot point.

Yes I remember that as if it were yesterday and how angry I was at the stupid officer who praised them for not using the weapons to defend themselves. A short time later a prodastant went to an IRA funeral there a grenade or two and walked away without a scratch. I feel for the families but the soldiers were not brave they were stupid and panicked. Sorry but I still remember it and it still makes me angry. 

This is just so typical of Thailand. They just can't help themselves but show off. Seen this many times with Thai friends, the first thing they do even when the weapon is illegal is to show it off to everyone which in my experience there was mostly alcohol involved. A2 and a half year old child and a man child with 2 and a half year old brain. 

Well good he dear, so he can't harm anybody as not handling a gun in a proper way, even why the hell he has a gun as many more thais have guns they shouldn't have. Maybe that fancy BMW better hunt for all the thousands of guns in the country and in thai hands!

6 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

The mayor should surely be regarded as a pillar of the community and somewhat more intelligent than average. Why on earth would he need a gun let alone play with it!  Why anyone needs to possess a gun of any description is beyond me!

To compensate for lack of stuff downstairs and lack of stuff upstairs.

After the recent events at T21 in Korat, maybe some people feel safer with a gun. It is possible the mayor underwent a great deal of stress and trauma - just speculation, I know. We can never really know now how much he was affected. RIP.

24 minutes ago, champers said:

After the recent events at T21 in Korat, maybe some people feel safer with a gun. It is possible the mayor underwent a great deal of stress and trauma - just speculation, I know. We can never really know now how much he was affected. RIP.

Perhaps...but strangely few people seem to be talking about it anymore. Even stranger is the lack of conversation going on about gun control...other than a few snippets here and there on the more liberal TV channels such as One 31.

16 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I remember reading a while back that 50% of Americans who are shot, are shot with their own gun, mostly during robberies/burglaries.

Below are some statistics for gun deaths.  Finding it hard to get some good numbers on non fatal gun incidents.  But it looks like suicide by guns is the largest single incident number, even more than accidental non death accidents.  Not sure on that

In 2017, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 39,773 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC. This figure includes gun murders and gun suicides, along with three other, less common types of gun-related deaths tracked by the CDC: those that were unintentional, involved law enforcement or whose circumstances could not be determined. It excludes deaths in which gunshot injuries played a contributing, but not principal, role. (CDC fatality statistics are based on information contained in death certificates.)

What share of U.S. gun deaths are murders and what share are suicides?

Though they tend to get less attention than gun-related murders, suicides have long accounted for the majority of U.S. gun deaths. In 2017, six-in-ten gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides (23,854), while 37% were murders (14,542), according to the CDC. The remainder were unintentional (486), involved law enforcement (553) or had undetermined circumstances (338).

Accidental shootings:

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, steven100 said:

he topped himself .. imo

yep - assisted by a 2 year old, luckily the 2 year old will have a hard time pointing the finger at the real shooter .. imo   

On 3/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, Jane Dough said:

Not to me. It read like the kid shot him and the family were trying not to mention that.

Or possibly he was larking about to amuse the kid...

Rooster

Playing Russian roulette with the kid, the kid cheated, the kid won.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, Wiggy said:

If it's anything like the aircraft it's a big one.

A .380 is a 9mm short. The bullet is the same diameter as a regular 9mm but lighter bullet and has a shorter case and a lighter charge. These are usually smaller pistols designed for concealed carry. James Bond carried a .380 Walther PPK.

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

A .380 is a 9mm short. The bullet is the same diameter as a regular 9mm but lighter bullet and has a shorter case and a lighter charge. These are usually smaller pistols designed for concealed carry. James Bond carried a .380 Walther PPK.

I know. It was a joke.